HELP - Compensation for Delayed Baggage

Old Mar 18, 12, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K / * G
HELP - Compensation for Delayed Baggage

Hey guys

I'm Premier Gold, and I flew IAH-MEX on Friday on flight 1090. I was upgraded to International Business (R), checked 1 bag.

I landed in Mexico City but my bag didn't. Talked to the UA Rep, said to either wait for next flight or have it delivered to my location the next day. I decided to wait due to the frequency of IAH-MEX flights (About once every hour or two).

I waited for the next 3 flights to land and my bag didn't show up.

I had an important business event that night that I couldn't attend because I didn't have proper clothes to wear. Buying a suit would've taken hours. This was my only reason for flying to MEX this time.

I told the UA Rep to deliver it once it arrived, as there was still one flight left to arrive around 10PM.

I called UA the next morning, and they finally said they had found my bag and it was scheduled to arrive in MEX at 7:15PM. When I asked why it would get here so late if there were 5 other flights and the bag was in IAH, they informed me they had misrouted it to AMSTERDAM, and it was flying back to IAH.

In the end, the bag finally made it to MEX and I picked it up at the airport.
UA already said I need to call them to discuss a Travel Certificate compensation.

My question is, what is the compensation I should ask for? In my opinion, it should be for the value of the ticket, since I couldnt attend my event, and this was the trip's whole purpose. Ticket was $538 RT.

Could I ask for elite miles as compensation? That might be more attractive.

Please let me know your thoughts!!!

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 12, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by woodlandsfonz View Post

Could I ask for elite miles as compensation? That might be more attractive.

Please let me know your thoughts!!!

Thanks
Sorry to hear that.
Maybe $50 USD e-cert or 3000 miles.
Wish you get more. Good Luck!!

Last edited by goalie; Oct 28, 16 at 1:51 pm Reason: off topic/trolling comments removed
Old Mar 18, 12, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry OP but $538 Im sure you wont get, nor anything close to that amount.No carrier will buy a person a suit or a dress.Ive flown Overseas for a very close friends wedding the night that I arrived only ,yep my bag didnt make it (it was with BA) they gave me whatever they give to anyone whose bag didnt arrive not much and no way would I go wearing what I was wearing

I know people who also had a biz meeting and picked up a dress shirt and slacks and explained why they were dressed as they were. Never heard of any carrier putting out for a suit++ nor refunding the cost of the tkt due to a bag not arriving
Old Mar 18, 12, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not only won't they, but they shouldn't. OP made the personal decision not to attend the event despite the fact that in this day and age, it's routine to have people show up understandably under-dressed due to luggage issues.

Best OP can hope for is a few miles and, if he had some minor purchases necessitated by the delay, reimbursement for those upon presentation of receipts.

OP doesn't need this lecture because it's water under the bridge, but checked luggage makes no sense on short trips and especially when one really cares about the specific dress code.
Old Mar 18, 12, 6:49 pm

Good luck!!!

Last edited by LilAbner; Mar 19, 12 at 7:18 pm
Old Mar 19, 12, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your responses. I finally called today and I got a $200 travel cert. Not bad in my opinion.
Old Mar 19, 12, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks a lot for your responses. I finally called today and I got a $200 travel cert. Not bad in my opinion.
you said you missed a biz meeting, hung at the airport for a bunch of flights to see if would arrive. Net Net you said your trip was in vain and youre happy with getting a $200 eCert

let me guess youd be tickled pink with a $50 VDB and an aisle seat in E-

Dont get me wrong , I did say up thread you wont get the $538 or anything near that and from the way you worded Post #1 I just never saw "Not bad in my opinion" as the words youd use to express your feelings over a $200 eCert after all that you went thru.Unless you really didnt go thru what you said you did
Old Mar 19, 12, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VX S
Honestly, if I were you, I would have bought a suit and expensed it to UA. You were traveling for business and UA mis-routed the necessary items for you to do your job.
Old Mar 19, 12, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz View Post
you said you missed a biz meeting, hung at the airport for a bunch of flights to see if would arrive. Net Net you said your trip was in vain and youre happy with getting a $200 eCert

let me guess youd be tickled pink with a $50 VDB and an aisle seat in E-

Dont get me wrong , I did say up thread you wont get the $538 or anything near that and from the way you worded Post #1 I just never saw "Not bad in my opinion" as the words youd use to express your feelings over a $200 eCert after all that you went thru.Unless you really didnt go thru what you said you did
No I did....but after reading everyone's responses it was obvious that $538 was too much for UA to provide. When calling I had low expectations at that point.
Old Mar 19, 12, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by unavaca View Post
Honestly, if I were you, I would have bought a suit and expensed it to UA. You were traveling for business and UA mis-routed the necessary items for you to do your job.
You can expense anything you want. You won't get reimbursed. Plain & simple.
Old Mar 19, 12, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No I did....but after reading everyone's responses it was obvious that $538 was too much for UA to provide. When calling I had low expectations at that point.
Got ya its not that you were but you realized its alot better then $0
Old Mar 20, 12, 12:10 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Not to hijack this thread, but I've asked a similar question in another thread -

Does anyone know (or know where I can find) UA's current policies regarding reimbursement for incidental items (toiletries, clothing) when a bag is delayed beyond 24 hours?

Considering that there were no toiletry kits at LAX and my hotel is fairly barebones, I gave in and purchased a few things to get me through the past ~30 hours. In the past, I'd gotten a packet from various airlines that gave me an overview of the process and my rights (along with a lengthy fine print about all the things they're not responsible for). This time, I got a torn-off scrap of paper with a case number on it. The post-merger site isn't producing any useful info.

Search this Thread