Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

You Think You're a Frequent Flier (NYT Article on UA's Most Senior Flight Attendant)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You Think You're a Frequent Flier (NYT Article on UA's Most Senior Flight Attendant)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond

Enjoy.....http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/us...y.html?_r=1&hp
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:14 am

Thank you for sharing. It is indeed a very nice story!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Amazing … and a very nice tale indeed.

I shall avoid making any connection with PUCCI.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
That's a cheering start to a rainy day
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
You Think You're a Frequent Flier (Article on UA's Most Senior Flight Attendant)

Below link links to a webpage summarizing a New York Times article about Ron Akana, the No. 1 Flight Attendant (in seniority) at UA. He's 83 years young. I, like the author, love the last line of the article. Sounds like this guy gets service!

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/...requent-flyer/

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 18, 2012 at 5:11 am Reason: corrected f/a's name
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: United 1.9MM
Works 9 days a month by my calculation. Nice gig. I remember the WSJ did a feature on a similarly aged female FA about a decade ago. In both cases, I was left wondering how they would perform in an actual emergency.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
NW and now DL have an infamous old guy FA/purser who is known for deciding who he thinks should be up front, both paying passenges and FAs, and then being either nice or rude and condescending to the person. IMO he should have been fired decades ago.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Isn't he just lovely!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:59 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Great story...although I do wonder in case of an emergency how he would help pax out of the exits etc etc

Just read the story again and he is not the oldest FA in the USA. Amazingly there is one at DL aged 87!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
Great story...although I do wonder in case of an emergency how he would help pax out of the exits etc etc

Im quite certain he'll the subject of the same recurrent training as any other crew... If he werent able to do it, he wouldnt be flying.

Lovely Story.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Very nice story indeed.

I didn't know that Iris Peterson retired - let alone five years ago. Tells you how out of the loop I am.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Wow a lovely story,hope though if an amergency occurred he would be able to cope with the situation, albeit though of course he would each year i expect have vigorous safety check exercises. Anyway good on him
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your Sunday!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:47 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dgdevil
Works 9 days a month by my calculation. Nice gig. I remember the WSJ did a feature on a similarly aged female FA about a decade ago. In both cases, I was left wondering how they would perform in an actual emergency.
That was Iris, who retired at about age 85. In the years leading up to her retirement she lived in SEA and commuted to SFO for the SFO-NRT flights. The one time I flew with her she worked FC. I enjoyed the brief time spent in the air with her, but at the time there were many who didn't share my thoughts on the matter.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: UA GS
As FAs are these days on board "primarily for our safety" there should be a mandatory retirement age. I don't feel safe with an 80+ year old in charge of my safety. As nice as they may be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.