Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
You search AAA-BBB-CCC and see R0 but later just search BBB-CCC and see R>0?

Or you search AAA-DDD-BBB-CCC and R>0 but not the same number as BBB-CCC shows?

Why does AAA-BBB-CCC shows R=0 but the other routes R>0 (but not always the same amount)???

This is related to how fare class availability to created for multi-segment trips.
The fare class availability is displayed as the minimum of each same fare class inventory of all the segments. So if looking for a T fare, all the segments need to have T fare inventory. If any one is T=0, then the multi-segment results is 0 or whatever the minimum inventory is.

This is true for R --- but the good news is upgrades will clear based on individual segments (except in the case of Direct flights).

So in the above case, regardless of routing the BBB-CCC segment can clear on application of certs or miles.

The general recommendation is to search for the critical upgradeable segments individually -- note the R availability. Then book the desired multi-segment trip and apply the upgrade.
In the slim chance the R space disappears in the meantime, you can make use of the 24 hour free cancellation window to start-over.
Print Wikipost

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by whicuz
I am looking to buy an upgradeable international ticket from EWR->EZE and it seems like the domestic flight limits the availability of upgrades on the international segment. E.g.: EWR->IAH->EZE shows PN3 and says upgrades are available. LGA->IAH->EZE shows PN0 and says I would be on the waitlist. Both tickets are the same fare class.

If I apply a GPU to the trip, will the international segment upgrade based on its own (e.g. IAH->EZE) segment availability?
You have to look only at the IAH-EZE segment. If you are GS (or have a GPU from a GS), if it shows PN availability, you book your ticket LGA-IAH-EZE. At booking, you apply the GPU which should clear immediately. The LGA-IAH segment will get waitlisted with the same GPU.

If you are not GS (or don't have a GPU from a GS), then you should look at PZ.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not married segments. It's a simple display issue, where the expert mode displays to lowest common denominator on a multi-segment itinerary. R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

I'm assuming you are GS if you are looking at PN?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Independent
Thanks for the details.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm assuming you are GS if you are looking at PN?
Nope, just Gold and a little clueless. Is PN for GS upgrades or award bookings?

Looking at the non-stop flight it has PZ9 on March 6 but PZ0 on March 13th, even though they're both P9 and the March 6 flight seems to have more seats taken. Does united release award space ~2 months in advance? I'd rather book the non-stop if it's not a big risk of missing the upgrade.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Looking at the non-stop flight it has PZ9 on March 6 but PZ0 on March 13th, even though they're both P9 and the March 6 flight seems to have more seats taken. Does united release award space ~2 months in advance? I'd rather book the non-stop if it's not a big risk of missing the upgrade.
UA may or may not release PZ at any time prior to departure. As a Gold, waitlisting is a dicey proposition.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the details.

PN is for GS so you have to look at PZ. You never know when UA decides to release upgrades and as a Gold you have lower priority than GS, 1Ks and Platinums and you don't know if some 1Ks and Platinums are already waitlisted. I would book immediately the flight that has PZ>9 and not risk that my upgrade does not clear.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thanks for the details.

I is for awards. PN is for GS upgrades, PZ is for GPU/miles etc. from non-GS.

Always look for availability on each individual segment, unless it is a through flight with the same flight number ... then you have to carefully book the connection as a 'stop'.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:11 pm

UA may or may not release PZ at any time prior to departure. As a Gold, waitlisting is a dicey proposition.
Generally agreed, but given that every Wednesday flight from EWR->EZE for the next two months except the ones before MLK day and Presidents day has >PZ2 through March 7th, it seems like waiting a week might get me a seat. It is obviously a risk, though, with very limited upside.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:12 pm

Generally agreed, but given that every Wednesday flight from EWR->EZE for the next two months except the ones before MLK day and Presidents day has >PZ2 through March 7th, it seems like waiting a week might get me a seat. It is obviously a risk, though, with very limited upside.
What's your change fee? You could always book now and change to the nonstop if they open PZ (keeping in mind any advance purchase requirement).
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:14 pm

What's your change fee? You could always book now and change to the nonstop if they open PZ (keeping in mind any advance purchase requirement).
I would imagine it's $400 (I don't think it would be less for me for any reason). I could put both flights on hold I suppose (which I'm normally loath to do).
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:51 pm

I would imagine it's $400 (I don't think it would be less for me for any reason). I could put both flights on hold I suppose (which I'm normally loath to do).
You might want to check that before you purchase. I doubt it's $400.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:13 pm

You might want to check that before you purchase. I doubt it's $400.
You're right - $300. Still a steep cost to eliminate a stop (for two people, so $600). I'll have to think about it, but thanks for all the details/suggestions!

Last edited by hkcj; Jan 6, 2019 at 2:14 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:55 pm

You're right - $300. Still a steep cost to eliminate a stop (for two people, so $600).
Yeah that's pretty costly. UA has reduced a bunch of its international change fees to $120, but apparently not on this route.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:39 pm

Yeah that's pretty costly. UA has reduced a bunch of its international change fees to $120, but apparently not on this route.
Glad to hear about a positive change! I will pay more attention when I'm booking in the future, since that makes a big difference.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Has that been seen outside of USA<>Asia?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Has that been seen outside of USA<>Asia?
I haven't, but I haven't looked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.