FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1325904-r-pz-avail-changes-depending-how-you-search-flights.html)

iflyuaaa Feb 22, 2014 8:26 am

Help needed with R

If r is avail when you search alone then your upgrade will clear even though it says 0 when you add other flights

rej22222 Feb 22, 2014 8:27 am

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa (Post 22396270)
If r is avail when you search alone then your upgrade will clear even though it says 0 when you add other flights

Good, thanks.

chinatraderjmr Feb 22, 2014 8:31 am

Originally Posted by rej22222 (Post 22396260)
Hi folks,

I'm booking a trip to PEK this summer, hoping to apply a GPU. Yesterday I found a flight I wanted out of IAD for $2400 and showing R5. Today when I go through the booking process, that flight still shows R5. But the fare is not $4300, too rich for my blood on this particular trip. If I position (from BOS) to IAD not directly but through EWR, for the same flight to PEK, the fare is back to $2400. But then THE VERY SAME IAD-PEK flight is showing R0 with that positioning. Is that normal? I assumed R space was determined by the particular segment, and wasn't affected by positioning.

W-fare for both.

When you search like that, it will only show R space if its avail on ALL fights. If the IAD-PEK in R6 alone then there is space and you can still upgrade that segment.

Its very confusing. If say, ORD-NRT is R9 by itself but a connection from LGA is R1 then looking at LGA-NRT would just show R1 even though the international flight is really R9. Thats why you need to search flights separately

rej22222 Feb 22, 2014 9:10 am

Flights purchased, ticketed, upgrades confirmed. Thanks for your help.

davidviolin Feb 22, 2014 10:20 am

Did not know that. Helpful advice!

WineCountryUA Feb 22, 2014 11:09 am

Common issue -- has to do with how fare class availability is determined for multi-segment itins. All the matters for R is individual segment availability but the it is confused by the standard fare class rule in Expert Mode. So best to check R segment by segment.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-flight.html

R/RN Availability Changes Based on First Flight?

Same flight, R availability depends upon on-going connection

.... and many others

vandrei Feb 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by rej22222 (Post 22396260)
Hi folks,

I'm booking a trip to PEK this summer, hoping to apply a GPU. Yesterday I found a flight I wanted out of IAD for $2400 and showing R5. Today when I go through the booking process, that flight still shows R5. But the fare is not $4300, too rich for my blood on this particular trip. If I position (from BOS) to IAD not directly but through EWR, for the same flight to PEK, the fare is back to $2400. But then THE VERY SAME IAD-PEK flight is showing R0 with that positioning. Is that normal? I assumed R space was determined by the particular segment, and wasn't affected by positioning.

W-fare for both.

Be very careful with your connection time between EWR and IAD. That route is notorious for issues. In fact, I missed IAD-EWR-YEG yesterday due to IRROPS somewhere else (the weather was fine at IAD) and am now in IAH en route to YEG with an 18-24 hour delay and a bag that made IAD-EWR-YEG and is supposedly in customs in YEG and a missed CPU.

rej22222 Feb 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by vandrei (Post 22397285)
Be very careful with your connection time between EWR and IAD. That route is notorious for issues. In fact, I missed IAD-EWR-YEG yesterday due to IRROPS somewhere else (the weather was fine at IAD) and am now in IAH en route to YEG with an 18-24 hour delay and a bag that made IAD-EWR-YEG and is supposedly in customs in YEG and a missed CPU.

Yikes. Yes, later on I'm going to see if I can adjust to avoid EWR altogether, but needed to get something decent booked this weekend.

theise Feb 22, 2014 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22396977)
So best to check R segment by segment.

[...snip URLS...]

.... and many others

Just to confirm, segment by segment checking is done by searching for one-way flights? (I did read all the referenced threads, but couldn't find this info.)

WineCountryUA Feb 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by theise (Post 22398028)
Just to confirm, segment by segment checking is done by searching for one-way flights? (I did read all the referenced threads, but couldn't find this info.)

that works (and avoids all the connecting segment issues)

Jon Gegenheimer Mar 10, 2014 6:34 pm

R bucket - straight through vs. breaking up

I am searching for R inventory NRT-MSY via SFO in late April / early May. If I search for a multi-leg itinerary and break it into pieces NRT-SFO, then SFO-MSY, I see R availability for the long leg. However, if I attempt a single slice NRT-MSY connecting in SFO, the R inventory disappears. What gives, and how can I make this work without breaking it into pieces, which adds to the cost?

Many thanks in advance.

mherdeg Mar 10, 2014 6:37 pm

If there is R inventory on SFO-NRT nonstop, then when you book MSY-SFO-NRT you will be able to confirm an upgrade on the SFO-NRT portion (and waitlist the MSY-SFO portion). Go ahead and use nonstop searches to find the space and then book whatever you need. This will work fine, but just in case you're worried, note that you get 24 hrs to cancel/refund your ticket.

One exception where you need to be careful is "direct flights", like if you booked SFO-NRT-SIN as a single flight number on both segments — there, married-segment inventory is a big deal for upgrades and you need to be careful.

The bug here is that UA's web site SHOWS inventory "married segment" style online; it only affects display.

WineCountryUA Mar 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Non issue. As long as it isn't a direct flight (single flight number for two segments) it is a non issue and the segments with R inventory will clear and the others will waitlist.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...st-flight.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...h-flights.html

Pointlessly_1K Apr 1, 2014 12:11 pm

Confused about R space on EWR-BOM

I'm searching for an upgradeable flight.

When I search for EWR-BOM on April 24th, the flight (UA 48) shows R9, RN9.

However, when I redo the search as SFO-BOM, the same flight shows R0, RN0.

Questions:
1) Why?
2) Should I book SFO-EWR on a separate PNR?

transportprof Apr 1, 2014 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by The_Man_Who_Flew_Too_Much (Post 22629747)
I'm searching for an upgradeable flight.

When I search for EWR-BOM on April 24th, the flight (UA 48) shows R9, RN9.

However, when I redo the search as SFO-BOM, the same flight shows R0, RN0.

Questions:
1) Why?
2) Should I book SFO-EWR on a separate PNR?

.bomb is telling you there is R space on EWR-BOM, but not now on SFO-EWR.

If I were you, I'd book the reservation now, upgrade EWR-BOM with a GPU, and this will automatically put you on the waitlist for R space opening SFO-EWR.