Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:01 pm

UA 990 (SFO-CDG) cancelled on 10/28?

Lots of unhappy passengers Monday night at SFO! Some of them were around until 9pm and looking to retrieve their bags/change flights etc. Considering the scheduled departure was 2:40pm, that is a long wait ... anybody have more details?

I heard it was an APU failure.

Oddly enough, my EZE-IAH flight on the 19th had a similar issue (but didn't take very long to fix). That aircraft later continued on to SFO, so I wonder if Monday's flight (also a 767) is the same bird.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:54 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by malgudi
Lots of unhappy passengers Monday night at SFO! Some of them were around until 9pm and looking to retrieve their bags/change flights etc. Considering the scheduled departure was 2:40pm, that is a long wait ... anybody have more details?

I heard it was an APU failure.

Oddly enough, my EZE-IAH flight on the 19th had a similar issue (but didn't take very long to fix). That aircraft later continued on to SFO, so I wonder if Monday's flight (also a 767) is the same bird.
Some were there later. I walked by their own CS line next to the closed (for the evening) TSA checkpoint around 9:30 last night. There were at least 40 people in line. Lots of agents working the line though.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Gold
Why Was UAL 982 (IAD-KWI) Canceled Nov. 9?

I was at Washington Dulles last night for a late domestic flight to IAH. My flight was parked next to Flight 982, which was fully loaded and preparing for a 9:50 pm departure to Kuwait City.

Curious to track the progress of the flight, I later checked united.com, which showed that Flight 982 had been cancelled, having returned to the gate about 20 minutes after it pushed back.

Does anyone know what happened to cause the cancelation? I imagine that there were many frustrated passengers waiting for reroutes.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
If you can believe it, they saw a mouse run across the floor just after everyone finished boarding. They cancelled the flight due to health / safety concerns. We overheard the pilot talking on channel 9 and at the gate. Apparently the entire aircraft has to be fumigated...nice. Re-booked on a new flight number (same time) today. They had no aicraft at Dulles to recover, so they had to wait for another one to come in today. This flight does not typically operate on thie date, so this is a special flight. Not a lot of happy people, and it took over 2 hours to get through the re-accomodation process (and we're even in business class)!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by yvr1971
If you can believe it, they saw a mouse run across the floor just after everyone finished boarding. They cancelled the flight due to health / safety concerns. We overheard the pilot talking on channel 9 and at the gate. Apparently the entire aircraft has to be fumigated...nice. Re-booked on a new flight number (same time) today. They had no aicraft at Dulles to recover, so they had to wait for another one to come in today. This flight does not typically operate on thie date, so this is a special flight. Not a lot of happy people, and it took over 2 hours to get through the re-accomodation process (and we're even in business class)!
I guess the mouse got tired of Jeff's enhancements in the United Club and thought he would give the plane a try instead!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:13 pm
BTV

UAL 944 ORD-FRA Nov 10 Diverted?

Looks like it's returning to ORD. Just caught this at flightaware, anyone knows more?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by BTV
Looks like it's returning to ORD. Just caught this at flightaware, anyone knows more?
Well the same flight was diverted on July 2011. Strange coincidence.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:18 pm

Very odd. For emergency they wouldn't return to ORD, right?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA PremExec
Originally Posted by Gunner14
Probably not....seems like plane was near Albany NY when it turned....plenty of closer options to land.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by BTV
Limited info in the ORD FCL that they lost their "pack" (or "PAC"?) and are returning for a plane change. Does that mean anything to this audience?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I think that refers to the air conditioning. If that's the case, it makes sense to return to a hub, where a spare aircraft and crew would be more readily available.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:33 pm
BTV

PACK would be Pressurization and Air Conditioning Kit, I think that's what takes bleed air from engine, cools it down and uses it to pressurize and heat the cabin. Don't know much more about it, if anyone can chime in ...
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eng3
Well the same flight was diverted on July 2011. Strange coincidence.
That fact is neither strange nor coincidental.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by Gunner14
If it was simple maintenance why not head to EWR or IAD rather then backtracking but I see they will be changing aircraft.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
If it was simple maintenance why not head to EWR or IAD rather then backtracking but I see they will be changing aircraft.
Dont know if it was a PMUA or PMCO plane.I will assume it was a PMUA, since COdbaUA still keeps the parts for its planes in their old hubs. eg the 737 I was on SFO-SNA needed parts but COdbaUa doesnt keep any parts for PMCO @ SFO, so we had to wait for it to come up from LAX

So I can see it being IAD vs ORD, so which is closer and which place has the needed parts probably played a part in deciding where to send it to,as well as if a new crew would be needed who could supply that quicker

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.