Old Mar 16, 12, 10:17 am
Original Poster

air canada business or united business

which is better?

thanks
Old Mar 16, 12, 10:23 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Without routes given, it's pretty hard to provide a decent response.
Old Mar 16, 12, 10:26 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
IMHO AC's based on one longish flight (LHR-YVR) and one short flight last year on AC their flat-bed hard product is significantly superior to UA's and we found the service and the food on our only TATL trip also to be superior as well. Others with more experience can do doubt offer more informed opinions.

We flew one way in AC's Economy and found that to be superior also, right up the ice cream bar served toward the latter part of the flight. ^
Old Mar 16, 12, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
AC except where you can get PMCO BF.
Old Mar 16, 12, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Discussed many times, do a search.

You will not get an unbiased review here, many people are so loyal to UA, they will defend it like a 12th century knight.... Ask this question in the AC forum, and you will be laughed at for even considering UA. People somehow think that a discussion of anything negative about their airline insults them personally

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference
Old Mar 16, 12, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
AC except where you can get PMCO BF.
Why would you pick PMCO BF over AC J, when AC J gives you an outstanding lie-flat seat at least as comfortable as PMCO's, but with direct aisle access from every seat, with no one ever climbing over you?

The only PMCO J seats that gives you that is the middle aisle seat on the reconfigured PMCO 764, or the middle aisle seats on the 772.

As far as soft product, it's a matter of personal preference, but AC has excellent AVOD and catering and its Maple Leaf Lounges are among the best for North American airlines.
Old Mar 16, 12, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 View Post
Why would you pick PMCO BF over AC J, when AC J gives you an outstanding lie-flat seat at least as comfortable as PMCO's, but with direct aisle access from every seat, with no one ever climbing over you?

The only PMCO J seat that gives you that is the middle aisle seat on the reconfigured PMCO 764, or the middle aisle seats on the 772.

As far as soft product, it's a matter of personal preference, but AC has excellent AVOD and catering and its Maple Leaf Lounges are among the best for North American airlines.
I liked the PMCO BF catering. to be fair it is as the next person says, a matter of personal choice.
Old Mar 16, 12, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
I liked the PMCO BF catering. to be fair it is as the next person says, a matter of personal choice.
Also, while I will agree that the PMCO J is generally better than the PMUA J (with its configuration with as many as 8 eight across), in the new UA, there is no way of knowing if you will be flying a PMUA or PMCO plane.

But regardless of that, you are guaranteed directly aisle access without anyone climbing over you from every J seat on AC, which, again, is only the case on the middle seat on the PMCO 764 and the middle aisle seats on the PMCO 772.
Old Mar 16, 12, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AlfredVachris View Post
which is better?

thanks
Search is always your friend http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...vs+UA+business or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...vs+UA+business or multiple others. Try "UA vs AC business"
Old Mar 16, 12, 11:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I don't like the coffin feel of the AC J seat, and I like the adjustable headrests of the UA and CO seats. If you can get D/E seats on the sCO 777 or D seats on the 764, you won't have anyone climbing over you, which is never a problem on the AC seat. I also like looking out the windows, which is difficult in the AC seat.

BusinessFirst has better catering than AC, IMO, and I prefer the UACO AVOD product to the AC offering, but that's just a matter of personal preference and taste. Both are extremely comparable, almost interchangeable.

Where AC blows UA and CO out of the water is in the lounges. The international MLL at YYZ is one of the best lounges in North America and well worth a visit. The YUL and YVR lounges are quite good as well.

So, in my experience:

Seats:
1a. sCO 777 D/E and bulkhead flat BF seats
1b. AC herringbone suite
2. 'normal' sCO flat BF seats
3. UA flat Business seats
4. UA recliner Business seats
5. sCO recliner BF

Catering:
1. sCO BF
2. AC
3. UA

IFE:
1. AVOD, push
99. UACO looped video

Lounge:
1. AC
Nothing else matters

Aircraft:
1. AC (77L/77W/A330 are awesome/new, refitted 767s good as well)
2. UA

Crews:
YMMV

Fire away!
Old Mar 16, 12, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No hotel loyalty anymore
Route is needed to give more info.

Transborder in AC is really good, but UA isn't bad either.

Long haul AC is good but if you are looking for lifetime earn logged miles it's a toss up. AC can also be just as bad as UA (up to crew and route)

On Transborder funny enough if you care less about food, AC Y is actually better than UA J if it'a a PMUA aircraft - AC has AVOID on all aircraft even transborder (UA now brands Transborder as Business, NOT First)
Old Mar 16, 12, 11:10 am

Programs: UA GS, AC Elite, Global Entry
EWR 764 - Completely agree...as AC Elite and UA/CO GS/PPE have flown/experienced them all, your assesment is right on

LHR Arrivals lounge also major upgrade to facilities PMCO or UA offer - shower, suit press, shoe shine and a real breakfast

Last edited by rwsteelers; Mar 16, 12 at 12:06 pm
Old Mar 16, 12, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
If you're getting AC flat beds, AC is the way to go. I love their Maple Leaf Lounges. I know PMCO has showers in some lounges, but I really like flying AC through YYZ.

The only downer to AC I can think of is the IFE... it crashes a lot (has been getting better, I think) and the selection is a bit lacking. Bring your own tablet if this really matters to you.

Food has been great on my flights... but they serve a lot of cheese.

In my experience (I live in NYC), AC is significantly cheaper than United. LGA-YYZ-PVG on AC: $3.5-6K; LGA-ORD-PVG/EWR-PVG on United: $4-11K.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 16, 12 at 11:46 am
Old Mar 16, 12, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agarc View Post
If you're getting AC flat beds, AC is the way to go. I love their Maple Leaf Lounges. I know PMCO has showers in some lounges, but I really like flying AC through YYZ.

The only downer to AC I can think of is the IFE... it crashes a lot (has been getting better, I think) and the selection is a bit lacking. Bring your own tablet if this really matters to you.

Food has been great on my flights... but they serve a lot of cheese.
Every seat on AC J on their overseas fleet has been full lie-flat for some time.

AS far as IFE crashing, I would add that PMCO's AVOD is very crashy too (just follow the numerous threads on this topic).

As far as the IFE seeletion on AC, I have always found it to me more than adequate, with hundreds of movies.
Old Mar 17, 12, 9:53 am

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
As of last June, AC YVR-LHR (767) vs. UA LHR-SFO (777), no contest, AC ^^^ on all counts.

The connecting AC F from SFO-YVR on an RJ was also far better than you'll get on competing runs from UA (A319/320 and PMCO 737).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: