Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyway to use a MileagePlus Explorer card retroactively for free baggage?

Old Mar 15, 12, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Hi all-

I was dumb and made a reservation using my everyday credit card instead of my MileagePlus Explorer. Is there a way to use my MileagePlus Explorer card retroactively for free baggage?

I think I'm stuck and change fees are more expensive than the bags would be at this point...but the experts on flyertalk seem to know all the ways through the system.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Mar 15, 12, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by mikegerard View Post
Hi all-

I was dumb and made a reservation using my everyday credit card instead of my MileagePlus Explorer. Is there a way to use my MileagePlus Explorer card retroactively for free baggage?

I think I'm stuck and change fees are more expensive than the bags would be at this point...but the experts on flyertalk seem to know all the ways through the system.

Thanks,
Mike
As long as your card # is linked to your FF#, the system usually grants free bags. If not, try to find a nice agent and check-in and show them your card. Pre-merger they would usually waive the fee if it wasn't automatically taken care of.
Old Mar 15, 12, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when you say retroactive I take it the flight is tkted but you have flown as of yet.

If you do OLCI dont indicate you have any bags, if you must choose 0. Then at the airport checkin either with the skycap or at the counter and make sure you have your UA CC with you to show them. also go into your profile and put in the details of the UA CC and make sure its the CC the acct Defaults to

Its not a 100% sure thing but most likely you will get it for Free
Old Mar 15, 12, 2:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer View Post
As long as your card # is linked to your FF#, the system usually grants free bags. If not, try to find a nice agent and check-in and show them your card. Pre-merger they would usually waive the fee if it wasn't automatically taken care of.
Pre-merger, the CO rule (which I assume is now the UA rule since everything is on CO systems now) was that as long as the passenger had a credit card that offered baggage waivers, ALL their travel had this benefit, regardless of which card was used to pay for the airport. So, there's no need to do anything to your ticket in order to get this benefit.

Also, if for whatever reason you didn't get this benefit automatically, your recourse is to show your eligible credit card at time of check-in, and they should waive the charge. Again, there is no requirement that the ticket had to be charge to that card - just that you have such a card in your name. Also, PMCO's rule was that if you didn't get the waiver automatically, your only recourse was to show the card at time of check-in and that no retroactive credits would be issued.
Old Mar 15, 12, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

thank you!

You guys are awesome!

Thanks again
Mike
Old Mar 15, 12, 2:46 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
At online checkin, try choosing one bag, and see if a fee comes up (it shouldn't if the MP# on the reservation matches your MP# linked to the card)

Unofficially now, I added my father as an additional cardholder to my account four years ago. While the free bag benefit should not apply in his case, he has always gotten it waived at the airport.

He travels twice a year, and has been able to always show the card, and get a bag for free. And this included checking in with United and Continental agents, as well as a skycap.

Even better is the fact that I have closed that account six months ago, and he still gets the free bag.
Old Mar 15, 12, 7:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Unfortunately, I have an update. I just received a letter in the mail from Chase that talks about the conversion of my Continental Presidential Plus card to the new Untied MileagePlus Presidential Plus card. It comes with a "2 free checked bags" benefit. On the back in the fine print, when it talks about this, it says "Purchase of ticket(s) with Card is required." Looking at united.com/chasebags, it also says that the tickets must be purchased by the Card for the Explorer card.

Sorry about the misleading information before. At least I mentioned that I was referring to the old CO policy, and only assumed that the new UA policy would be the same. I was wrong. Another "gift to the passenger" from PMUA.
Old Mar 15, 12, 7:25 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Unfortunately, I have an update. I just received a letter in the mail from Chase that talks about the conversion of my Continental Presidential Plus card to the new Untied MileagePlus Presidential Plus card. It comes with a "2 free checked bags" benefit. On the back in the fine print, when it talks about this, it says "Purchase of ticket(s) with Card is required." Looking at united.com/chasebags, it also says that the tickets must be purchased by the Card for the Explorer card.

Sorry about the misleading information before. At least I mentioned that I was referring to the old CO policy, and only assumed that the new UA policy would be the same. I was wrong. Another "gift to the passenger" from PMUA.

it has always said that, but the system has no way of knowing if this is true or not.

I have had tickets paid for by 3rd party business checks, through Continental Vacations, through a Travel Agency, as well as totally free tickets where there was no payment necessary, all recieved the free bag.
Old Mar 15, 12, 7:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
..., it says "Purchase of ticket(s) with Card is required." Looking at united.com/chasebags, it also says that the tickets must be purchased by the Card for the Explorer card.....
believe the same equivalent statement existed for the previous OnePlus card but many have reported in the past that just having the card linked to your account is significant. So don't give up yet.
Old Mar 17, 12, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
So if I am 2P AND have an Explorer card, do I get 2 free bags (one as my cardholder benefit and one with my 2P status)??
Old Mar 17, 12, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
So if I am 2P AND have an Explorer card, do I get 2 free bags (one as my cardholder benefit and one with my 2P status)??
No, you only get one "Free Bag Benefit" And it would be the greater of any "Free Bag Benefit" which you would qualify for thst specific flight, on that specific day.
Old Mar 19, 12, 9:01 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite
No Go

Normally don't check my bags but had to today. Thought since I had my chase card I could check one bag for free. Nope.. The agent said the tickets had to be purchased with the card, so pay up. Tried showing her the card, mine still says Continental, but no help, I did pay bag with the card..

Used to fly with Continental and loved it, but really not liking United. One would think having the card, plus flying on an M fare ticket they would waive the $25 fee but nope..

700 bucks to fly round trip from CMH to ORD, United then charges extra for a bag, and then just to insult me asks for $19 to get an E+ seat. Lucky for me at 592 miles per trip only 20 more flights till I'm silver!
Old Mar 19, 12, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Guyy View Post
Normally don't check my bags but had to today. Thought since I had my chase card I could check one bag for free. Nope.. The agent said the tickets had to be purchased with the card, so pay up. Tried showing her the card, mine still says Continental, but no help, I did pay bag with the card..

Used to fly with Continental and loved it, but really not liking United. One would think having the card, plus flying on an M fare ticket they would waive the $25 fee but nope..

700 bucks to fly round trip from CMH to ORD, United then charges extra for a bag, and then just to insult me asks for $19 to get an E+ seat. Lucky for me at 592 miles per trip only 20 more flights till I'm silver!

I would say you are one of a small group of people who have reported experiencing such a situation. As I have posted, I have had no issues with getting my free bag benefit with a myriad of payment methods which were not my Chase Card.

My questions for you would be:

1) What was your method of payment?

2) Was your Mileage Plus number on the reservation you flew on?

3) What card do you have?
Old Mar 19, 12, 9:30 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kwildnj View Post
I would say you are one of a small group of people who have reported experiencing such a situation. As I have posted, I have had no issues with getting my free bag benefit with a myriad of payment methods which were not my Chase Card.

My questions for you would be:

1) What was your method of payment?

2) Was your Mileage Plus number on the reservation you flew on?

3) What card do you have?
My company using Amex travel to book, so I can't use my card. Yes my Mileage Plus number was on the reservation, I have a Chase Onepass card that was converted with the merger. I had the agent ask another agent and handed her my card but still 25 bucks..
Old Mar 19, 12, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
best way to expalin this to everyone who isnt sure is there are many ways to get The 1st Bag Free, and even if you have 3 ways all that do combined is get you your 1st bag free not a 2nd or 3rd free. Its just you have 3 different ways to get your 1st bag free, it wont help you with any bag after the 1st 1

Now if you will have the new UA Presidental CC that will get you your 1st 2 bags free,and yep it wont you with any bag after the 2nd no matter how many ways you have to get free bags, so flying on a pd FC tkt and you get 2 free bags the UA PCC wont get you a 3rd or 4th free

Search this Thread