FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How Far in Advance to Book Saver Awards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1325178-how-far-advance-book-saver-awards.html)

dcjgg Mar 15, 2012 9:55 am

How Far in Advance to Book Saver Awards

Hi,

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed before -- my search turned up nothing, and older posts may no longer be relevant after the merger.

My question is: how far in advance can I try to book a saver award (e.g., 12.5k miles per direction)?

In the past, I thought you could start booking 330 days in advance, which is in a couple of days for me. I tried calling the 1K line yesterday to confirm if that was the case, and the agent said that they don't know when the saver awards become available. She even said that she's never heard of saver awards being available 330 days in advance, even though I booked them last year! I don't think she knew what she was talking about. At this point, the only way to be safe is going to be to call every day!

Does anyone know the answer and/or a way to confirm when saver awards become available for booking?

Thanks!

mnmme Mar 15, 2012 9:58 am

Originally Posted by dcjgg (Post 18205973)
Hi,

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed before -- my search turned up nothing, and older posts may no longer be relevant after the merger.

My question is: how far in advance can I try to book a saver award (e.g., 12.5k miles per direction)?

In the past, I thought you could start booking 330 days in advance, which is in a couple of days for me. I tried calling the 1K line yesterday to confirm if that was the case, and the agent said that they don't know when the saver awards become available. She even said that she's never heard of saver awards being available 330 days in advance, even though I booked them last year! I don't think she knew what she was talking about. At this point, the only way to be safe is going to be to call every day!

No one knows When or If they will be released, but if you are a 1K and have no penalty in changing them or cancelling them. Book as soon as you find what you need!

Does anyone know the answer and/or a way to confirm when saver awards become available for booking?

Thanks!

dcsnowwake Mar 15, 2012 10:30 am

330 unless something changed we dont know about

PVDProf Mar 15, 2012 10:47 am

The schedule for booking anything (revenue or award) opens at 330 days. Award space availability is continuously evaluated by IM, based on sales and sales forecasts. Whether there is saver award space on a particular flight when it becomes bookable depends on the flight. It's certainly worth checking if there is any, but there is no guarantee that there will be some, or that if there is none, some will not be opened on the same flight at some point in the future.

aacharya Mar 15, 2012 11:42 am

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake (Post 18206229)
330 unless something changed we dont know about

You're perpetuating an inaccuracy/misconception.

330 days out is when one can book an award.

It is not recommended by me or most folk here to do so, since Saver and direct flights are usually not open on that date.

Anecdotally, the best saver awards are found when:

1. One books something (anything) 6 months out....and then
2. Calls to waitlist for the direct flight.

4BandE Mar 15, 2012 11:53 am

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 18206743)

It is not recommended by me or most folk here to do so, since Saver and direct flights are usually not open on that date.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but can a waitlist be done for a direct flight that is not the original routing? I had to book LAX-DEN-IAD-LHR as a F saver because there was no SFO-LHR available. Can I call and ask for a waitlist for SFO-LHR?

UA-NYC Mar 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 18206743)

It's more like 335 or 336 actually now

Originally Posted by 4BandE (Post 18206820)
Sorry to hijack this thread, but can a waitlist be done for a direct flight that is not the original routing? I had to book LAX-DEN-IAD-LHR as a F saver because there was no SFO-LHR available. Can I call and ask for a waitlist for SFO-LHR?

Yes