Customers vent on United-Continental switchover

Old Mar 15, 12, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP 2MM; AS 75k; UA PP 2MM
Customers vent on United-Continental switchover

By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

On March 3, United completed one of its biggest merger tasks: combining its website and reservation system with that of Continental's.

And, though United did not appear to suffer any long-lasting disruption to its flight operations, many customers are howling about a lingering series of glitches affecting everything from seat reservations to frequent-flier miles, the San Jose Mercury News reports.

More: http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...8/1?csp=Travel
Old Mar 15, 12, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Nice to see a plug for FT!!!

Also, funny that forums like FT are a source for news sources.
Old Mar 15, 12, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA PG, Hyatt Plat, SPG, AAadvantage
Also nice to see that they plan on returning to PMUA mileage tables for RDM and PQM earning.
Old Mar 15, 12, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by psa64 View Post
By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

On March 3, United completed one of its biggest merger tasks: combining its website and reservation system with that of Continental's.

And, though United did not appear to suffer any long-lasting disruption to its flight operations, many customers are howling about a lingering series of glitches affecting everything from seat reservations to frequent-flier miles, the San Jose Mercury News reports.

More: http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...8/1?csp=Travel
Ya never know who is here and/or Lurking FT is the De Facto place to go for "the inside scoop" on Airline related matters for sure.
Old Mar 15, 12, 12:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bsmnsr View Post

actually, it happens quite often.. there's usually at least one quote from an FTer, although lately it gets credited as Travel Blogger Mr/Mrs XXXXXX. Some reporters are adept at isolating quotes that bring out the crazy.
Old Mar 15, 12, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by izzik View Post
actually, it happens quite often.. there's usually at least one quote from an FTer, although lately it gets credited as Travel Blogger Mr/Mrs XXXXXX. Some reporters are adept at isolating quotes that bring out the crazy.
Yup. I have personally done several phone interviews on various subjects and was contacted by reporters who read something I wrote on FT. There is even an occasional "call for interviews" by the Mods...
Old Mar 15, 12, 1:03 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by izzik View Post
I too have been contacted before, although it's been a few years since...I was once quoted somewhere, but chose to remain anonymous.

Heck, even CNN's Richard Quest is a FT member and has posted as well as quoted FT before.
Old Mar 15, 12, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE

though it's gone from Reuters, there was also the "rage" incident as ref'd here!
Old Mar 15, 12, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA platinum
Higher fares!

Have other people seen a rise in fares not commensurate to the jet fuel price increase, for example, I used to get fares ORD-IAH for under @$200 RT, right after the Saturday change to United, now the cheapest fares are $323!! Shri
Old Mar 15, 12, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shri11 View Post
Have other people seen a rise in fares not commensurate to the jet fuel price increase, for example, I used to get fares ORD-IAH for under @$200 RT, right after the Saturday change to United, now the cheapest fares are $323!! Shri
I would say that is a bargain. Grab it now...If you think they are going anywhere but up from here you are nuts. The AL's are just now starting to adjust for oil (they hedge) and it will be a while before we see any relief.
Old Mar 15, 12, 1:34 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Eliminate the 2008 spike, and look at the graph and tell me that it is not commensurate with jet fuel prices.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/economi...velopment.aspx
Old Mar 15, 12, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Depending on what dates you're looking for could have something to do with it. There is a NATO conference in ORD in May and it's been screwing with prices.
Old Mar 15, 12, 2:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

Funny, I posted back in 2003 that one paper was just lifting quotes from newsgroups and here writing stories without even contacting the poster. I got a call from some stock firm one day because they read my name in the paper on a story about something stupid like the airtrain to JFK that was lifted. Which is pretty much what they are still doing today, if they can attach a name to it they will, otherwise it's apparently perfectly acceptable now to use usernames.
Old Mar 15, 12, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Going back in time still woudering why UA and CO think they needed merge.
The 2 airlines were part of the same alliance so as a CO flyer I could connect at a UA hub or even flying completley on UA and get CO miles. As a PC member I could use the Red Carpet Club.
Alot of unhappy customers especially original UA ones. Employees were forced to reloate, there is been some job cuts. Fares look to be higher in many markets as there is less competition. The cost of repainting all those airplanes and training employees. Maybe the merger was not a good idea.
Time will tell.

Search this Thread