FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Customers vent on United-Continental switchover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1325176-customers-vent-united-continental-switchover.html)

psa64 Mar 15, 12 10:47 am

Customers vent on United-Continental switchover
 
By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

On March 3, United completed one of its biggest merger tasks: combining its website and reservation system with that of Continental's.

And, though United did not appear to suffer any long-lasting disruption to its flight operations, many customers are howling about a lingering series of glitches affecting everything from seat reservations to frequent-flier miles, the San Jose Mercury News reports.

More: http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...8/1?csp=Travel

bsmnsr Mar 15, 12 11:01 am

Nice to see a plug for FT!!!

Also, funny that forums like FT are a source for news sources.

mallodi Mar 15, 12 12:47 pm

Also nice to see that they plan on returning to PMUA mileage tables for RDM and PQM earning.

avidflyer Mar 15, 12 12:51 pm


Originally Posted by psa64 (Post 18205905)
By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

On March 3, United completed one of its biggest merger tasks: combining its website and reservation system with that of Continental's.

And, though United did not appear to suffer any long-lasting disruption to its flight operations, many customers are howling about a lingering series of glitches affecting everything from seat reservations to frequent-flier miles, the San Jose Mercury News reports.

More: http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...8/1?csp=Travel

Ya never know who is here and/or Lurking :) FT is the De Facto place to go for "the inside scoop" on Airline related matters for sure.

izzik Mar 15, 12 12:54 pm


Originally Posted by bsmnsr (Post 18206016)
Nice to see a plug for FT!!!

Also, funny that forums like FT are a source for news sources.

actually, it happens quite often.. there's usually at least one quote from an FTer, although lately it gets credited as Travel Blogger Mr/Mrs XXXXXX. Some reporters are adept at isolating quotes that bring out the crazy. ;)

avidflyer Mar 15, 12 12:59 pm


Originally Posted by izzik (Post 18206828)
actually, it happens quite often.. there's usually at least one quote from an FTer, although lately it gets credited as Travel Blogger Mr/Mrs XXXXXX. Some reporters are adept at isolating quotes that bring out the crazy. ;)

Yup. I have personally done several phone interviews on various subjects and was contacted by reporters who read something I wrote on FT. There is even an occasional "call for interviews" by the Mods...

MBS MillionMiler Mar 15, 12 1:03 pm


Originally Posted by izzik (Post 18206828)
actually, it happens quite often.. there's usually at least one quote from an FTer, although lately it gets credited as Travel Blogger Mr/Mrs XXXXXX. Some reporters are adept at isolating quotes that bring out the crazy. ;)

I too have been contacted before, although it's been a few years since...I was once quoted somewhere, but chose to remain anonymous.

Heck, even CNN's Richard Quest is a FT member and has posted as well as quoted FT before.

eleeut Mar 15, 12 1:15 pm


Originally Posted by bsmnsr (Post 18206016)
Nice to see a plug for FT!!!

Also, funny that forums like FT are a source for news sources.

though it's gone from Reuters, there was also the "rage" incident as ref'd here!

shri11 Mar 15, 12 1:22 pm

Higher fares!
 
Have other people seen a rise in fares not commensurate to the jet fuel price increase, for example, I used to get fares ORD-IAH for under @$200 RT, right after the Saturday change to United, now the cheapest fares are $323!! Shri

avidflyer Mar 15, 12 1:30 pm


Originally Posted by shri11 (Post 18207028)
Have other people seen a rise in fares not commensurate to the jet fuel price increase, for example, I used to get fares ORD-IAH for under @$200 RT, right after the Saturday change to United, now the cheapest fares are $323!! Shri

I would say that is a bargain. Grab it now...If you think they are going anywhere but up from here you are nuts. The AL's are just now starting to adjust for oil (they hedge) and it will be a while before we see any relief.

fastair Mar 15, 12 1:34 pm


Originally Posted by shri11 (Post 18207028)
Have other people seen a rise in fares not commensurate to the jet fuel price increase, for example, I used to get fares ORD-IAH for under @$200 RT, right after the Saturday change to United, now the cheapest fares are $323!! Shri

Eliminate the 2008 spike, and look at the graph and tell me that it is not commensurate with jet fuel prices.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/economi...velopment.aspx

Hartmann Mar 15, 12 1:36 pm


Originally Posted by shri11 (Post 18207028)
Have other people seen a rise in fares not commensurate to the jet fuel price increase, for example, I used to get fares ORD-IAH for under @$200 RT, right after the Saturday change to United, now the cheapest fares are $323!! Shri

Depending on what dates you're looking for could have something to do with it. There is a NATO conference in ORD in May and it's been screwing with prices.

cordelli Mar 15, 12 2:01 pm


Originally Posted by bsmnsr (Post 18206016)

Also, funny that forums like FT are a source for news sources.

Funny, I posted back in 2003 that one paper was just lifting quotes from newsgroups and here writing stories without even contacting the poster. I got a call from some stock firm one day because they read my name in the paper on a story about something stupid like the airtrain to JFK that was lifted. Which is pretty much what they are still doing today, if they can attach a name to it they will, otherwise it's apparently perfectly acceptable now to use usernames.

buckeyefanflyer Mar 15, 12 4:17 pm

Going back in time still woudering why UA and CO think they needed merge.
The 2 airlines were part of the same alliance so as a CO flyer I could connect at a UA hub or even flying completley on UA and get CO miles. As a PC member I could use the Red Carpet Club.
Alot of unhappy customers especially original UA ones. Employees were forced to reloate, there is been some job cuts. Fares look to be higher in many markets as there is less competition. The cost of repainting all those airplanes and training employees. Maybe the merger was not a good idea.
Time will tell.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:51 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.