Independant clearing of GPU for each segment

Old Mar 15, 12, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Independant clearing of GPU for each segment

Perhaps I have this wrong, but as I understood it, on PMUA, a SWU needed to clear all segments at once. In other words, if the overwater leg had availability but the domestic leg did not then the overwater leg would not clear. The prevailing wisdom was to apply the SWU only to the overwater leg and then extend it to domestic legs after the overwater leg cleared.

How does this work now?
Old Mar 15, 12, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
1. SWU needed to clear all at once on PMUA- no, you were waitlisted for segments without NC or NF availability.

2. The "wisdom" is now applied automatically (IF the system works as it is supposed to). See http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx (around middle of "Other terms" section).
Old Mar 15, 12, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
I've had multiple itineraries where I've ended up with the international long haul segment cleared but the domestic wait listed only to clear within the 96, 72, 48, 24 hour windows.

Typically I was going IAD-SFO or IAD-DEN on the domestic portion and I'd have not been at the top of the totem pole as a 1K since there are about a billion GS fliers out of IAD and SFO.
Old Mar 15, 12, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Thanks very much for the info!
Old Mar 16, 12, 12:16 am

I am not sure about the system now but in the old system, clearing upgrades is based on segments listed in the PNR. So, if there are multiple segments in the PNR, then they can be upgraded independently. If it is a through flight number (e.g. ORD-SYD via LAX), then there has to be inventory opened for ORD-SYD for the WL to clear.

On the new system - is the "blackbox" only for CPU or the blackbox also does RPU and GPU upgrades? That is - is the WL of RPUs and GPUs done by the blackbox or actually shows on the PNR as WL segments?
Old Mar 16, 12, 12:43 am

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Originally Posted by gregas View Post
Perhaps I have this wrong, but as I understood it, on PMUA, a SWU needed to clear all segments at once. In other words, if the overwater leg had availability but the domestic leg did not then the overwater leg would not clear. The prevailing wisdom was to apply the SWU only to the overwater leg and then extend it to domestic legs after the overwater leg cleared.

How does this work now?
Understood it the same. I have a reservation ticketed pre-merger for:

SFO-IAH-BOG rt.

I applied "GPU"'s back in January which cleared for the return immediately, but with no availability for either outbound leg. Agent would only waitlist the overwater leg following prevailing wisdom at the time.

Given the recent threads on SWU/GPU madness (and seeing R open on the domestic leg), I called today and after 30 minutes on hold while the agent conferred with a supervisor, they confirmed the outbound domestic leg immediately and overwater remains waitlisted. Flight isn't until mid-April, so only time will tell as I don't anticipate R space being released for weeks...

Search this Thread