Routing question for international redemption

Old Mar 15, 12, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Routing question for international redemption

Hello! So I'm planning an award trip from SEA->HKG with a stopover in IST. While there I also want to make a stop in DXB as well before heading to HKG.

I know the rules only allow one stopover but is it possible for me to book a separate flight from IST->DXB and continue on to HKG from DXB? Could this fall under an open jaw?

I won't have time to stop over in DXB on the return flight so I'm basically looking for a trip like this: SEA->IST->DXB->HKG->SEA. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 15, 12, 10:58 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by linuxkoder View Post
I know the rules only allow one stopover but is it possible for me to book a separate flight from IST->DXB and continue on to HKG from DXB? Could this fall under an open jaw?

I won't have time to stop over in DXB on the return flight so I'm basically looking for a trip like this: SEA->IST->DXB->HKG->SEA. Any thoughts?
On a round trip, you can book both a stopover and an open jaw. You can even do it online.

SEA->IST
DXB->HKG (stopover)->SEA

Book IST->DXB separately.

I did something similar online:

IAD-NRT-SIN
HKG-NRT (stopover)->IAD
Old Mar 15, 12, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
You should have no problem if you buy DXB to HKG separately.

Also, consider buying a low cost RT from Istanbul to dubai on air Arabia or flydubai if needed... Should not be more than $300 RT

I don't think you will be allowed to other open jaw between IST Europe, and DXB Asia, with a stop in HKG
Old Mar 15, 12, 12:43 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy View Post
On a round trip, you can book both a stopover and an open jaw. You can even do it online.

SEA->IST
DXB->HKG (stopover)->SEA

Book IST->DXB separately.

I did something similar online:

IAD-NRT-SIN
HKG-NRT (stopover)->IAD
That's different.

The website is a little bit weird, so you may get away with this.

But theoretically, with what you propose, you're routing DXB-SEA via HKG. Which, again theoretically, is not permissible.
Old Mar 15, 12, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Right, and my understanding is stopovers are only permitted on roundtrip awards...

Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
That's different.

The website is a little bit weird, so you may get away with this.

But theoretically, with what you propose, you're routing DXB-SEA via HKG. Which, again theoretically, is not permissible.
Old Mar 24, 12, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Stopover + 2 open jaws

Based on the following, it appears on *A awards that 2 Open jaws + 1 stopover is permitted:
Two open jaws are permitted per roundtrip award. For example, you can fly from Newark to London and return from Paris to Washington Dulles.

A stopover is permitted on roundtrip award travel only. One stopover is permitted, unless otherwise noted. Additional mileage may be required for Saver Awards within the mainland U.S., Alaska and Canada.
http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...airawards.aspx

Am I missing something else that would limit to 1+1?

TRRed
Old Mar 24, 12, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Perhaps I can piggy-back on this thread with my own routing question.

Would a routing like this be possible?

IAH-IAD-MUC-BER (stop)
overland to DBV (Dubrovnik)
DBV-FRA-ZRH-HKG-BKK (destination)
BKK-FRA-IAH

I've got a few months off this summer and once my bonus miles from my new Chase CC post I'll have enough to redeem for this itinerary, if it's possible.

edit: Also, from BKK to FRA are connections in ICN or NRT permitted?

Last edited by txflyer77; Mar 24, 12 at 2:07 pm

Search this Thread