Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Wasting" an SWU on a TATL flight when only domestic leg clears

Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)

Hi, wondering if the new SHARES system is an different than PMUA's system was with regard to SWUs on a non nonstop. It used to be that if your SWU does not clear at booking but later the domestic leg clears and the TATL does not, you get upgraded on the domestic leg and effectively "waste" your SWU, which was really intended to be for the TATL flight. The workaround was to waitlist only the TATL leg and hope for UDU on the domestic flight.

Is this still the same strategy or has the system changed?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A couple of months before the systems integration, UA adopted the policy that CO had also had, which is if that the intl segment doesn't clear, you get the SWU back.

This is also the policy going forward. If for example you fly SFO-EWR-CDG and use a GPU, and only SFO-EWR clears and you fly in coach EWR-CDG, you are supposed to get your GPU back at some point after travel.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: United Gold
I've heard this too. I'm wondering though, do you still get upgraded on all the domestic segments? Let's say I'm doing HNL-DEN-IAD-GVA and IAD-GVA is W. I apply the GPU to the itinernary and HNL-DEN-IAD all clear but IAD-GVA does not, does that mean I get upgraded in HNL-DEN-IAD, sit in coach for IAD-GVA and get my SWU back?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I've heard this too. I'm wondering though, do you still get upgraded on all the domestic segments? Let's say I'm doing HNL-DEN-IAD-GVA and IAD-GVA is W. I apply the GPU to the itinernary and HNL-DEN-IAD all clear but IAD-GVA does not, does that mean I get upgraded in HNL-DEN-IAD, sit in coach for IAD-GVA and get my SWU back?

No. You don't get the upgrade back if at least one segment of your itinerary in BusinessFirst clears. In that case HNL-DEN is BF, so you won't get it back.

The website clearly spells that:

"In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded."

http://pss.united.com/web/en-us/cont...wupgrades.aspx
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:44 am

Programs: United Gold
What if the itinerary was HNL-SFO-IAD-GVA?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
What if the itinerary was HNL-SFO-IAD-GVA?
It would probably depend on which segments got upgraded. If SFO-IAD, then redeposit. But if the HNL-SFO or IAD-GVA, then probably not. However, they might consider the transcon leg to be BF.

You could always try to do a regional vice a SWU.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1KHI
No. You don't get the upgrade back if at least one segment of your itinerary in BusinessFirst clears. In that case HNL-DEN is BF, so you won't get it back.

The website clearly spells that:

"In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded."

http://pss.united.com/web/en-us/cont...wupgrades.aspx
This is my experience as well, admittedly, I did not call to question it but my experience was since one leg of my flight cleared, the swu was used. I now wonder if I had called if they would have credited it back.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bsmnsr
It would probably depend on which segments got upgraded. If SFO-IAD, then redeposit. But if the HNL-SFO or IAD-GVA, then probably not. However, they might consider the transcon leg to be BF.
It's either BF, or it's not. For the special-case domestic situations, the way to tell is if the segment would otherwise be eligible for complimentary Premier upgrades. If so, then it's not a BF segment, and if any such segments clear but the BF segment doesn't, then you get your upgrade payment back (systemwide, or miles+copay) and you still get to keep your domestic upgrades. This is true whether or not you were Premier and therefore eligible to get them for free anyway.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
What about on the return GVA-IAD-SFO, when the failure of the BF/GF upgrade is known before the domestic segment? If GVA-IAD doesn't clear, after being confirmed IAD-SFO, am I obligated to downgrade IAD-SFO to hang onto my GPU?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Has anyone had any experience with this lately. That is, have people been getting their SWU back when only a short domestic segment clears?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by BigE
Has anyone had any experience with this lately. That is, have people been getting their SWU back when only a short domestic segment clears?
Yes, I have had one automatically redeposit recently.

If it doesn't reappear within a week or so call and they will redeposit it for you. I find calling works much better than emailing to get these types of issues corrected.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Has anyone had any experience with this lately
Mid-November, BCN EWR didn't clear, but EWR SFO had already cleared. I already had all my boarding passes in hand, before boarding in BCN, but I see no reason they would have tried to downgrade me for the second leg. This is a nice feature of the program, one of the few breaks our way. Enjoy it.

Given that the EWR SFO leg was a lay flat bed (never guaranteed domestically, and lay flat 757-200s do get swapped for 757-300s) and the flight was exactly during the Spanish night, this was my preferred upgrade to get if I could only get one leg. I ate at EWR and slept the entire flight to SFO.

I got my GPU back a few days later, and ended up using it on another domestic flight (it was about to expire).
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Yes, and not just a "short" domestic segment......SFO-EWR was upgraded, but EWR-CDG was not. Got the GPU back.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
This is very good to hear. UA CS also verified that this is the policy. It's a nice consolation for not clearing the international segment for which you probably paid a few hundred dollars extra to get W or above. Thanks to everyone who replied.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Here's the way to think about this.

You use a GPU to upgrade to BusinessFirst. By definition, there is no CPU for business first.

As a BONUS, when you use a GPU to upgrade to BF, you are also given instrument-priority on any CPU flight, basically moving you up the CPU queue you were already on.

Your GPU is used if you make it into BF on any segment of your itinerary. It is NOT used if you only upgrade on segments where you were already eligible for CPU.

This should all process automagically at this point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.