1K on USAir - *Gold Seating benefits?

Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
1K on USAir - *Gold Seating benefits?

As a *Gold, do I have gratis access to "Choice Seats" on USAir? I booked a flight with two segments on USAir and the the USAir website wont allow me to select a "Choice Seat" without paying $15 per segment. I apologize for the question but I've not flown with USAir before and I don't have any idea what to expect.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
That's how it was for me Monday. You get to sit closer to the front in the green seats but not the blue seats.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dan-
That's how it was for me Monday. You get to sit closer to the front in the green seats but not the blue seats.
Did you pay the $15 or was it complimentary? If you did, was it much different than the blue seats?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by limey1K
As a *Gold, do I have gratis access to "Choice Seats" on USAir? I booked a flight with two segments on USAir and the the USAir website wont allow me to select a "Choice Seat" without paying $15 per segment. I apologize for the question but I've not flown with USAir before and I don't have any idea what to expect.
Outside of Exit Rows/Bulkheads, US Airways "Choice Seats" do not offer any added benefit (other than a lower boarding group, which you would already have by being a *G.

And to answer your question, a *G (1K or not), you would not have access to these seats for free. Some have reported luck calling US and getting them assigned, but it is not policy to do so. At online checkin, however, the exit rows/bulkheads would be available for free to everyone.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
You can get a "choice" seat for free without getting to choose which one (pun intended) by not picking a seat during the booking process if your UA elite number was entered. If you try to change it you'll be charged.

If you don't use OLCI you can choose "select" seats at a kiosk at the airport. Doesn't work if you're already checked in, in my experience.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by star_world
You can get a "choice" seat for free without getting to choose which one (pun intended) by not picking a seat during the booking process if your UA elite number was entered. If you try to change it you'll be charged.

If you don't use OLCI you can choose "select" seats at a kiosk at the airport. Doesn't work if you're already checked in, in my experience.
My experience as well.

Always check in at Kiosk as stated and if exit rows/bulkheads are open usually can switch to one then. Do OLCI and you will not be able to without paying.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by star_world

Correct on both fronts. One can be preassigned to a Choice Seat, without any effort. You cannot change to another Choice Seat, however, without beimg charged.

And yes, if you do OLCI, you CANNOT see a seat map at a kiosk. You'd have to get a nice agent to work with you, or let you see the seat map in his or her screen.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've had pretty good luck with getting a better seat by asking a gate agent. (and even getting a fairly cheap upgrade into F). The paid seats, sadly, there is no recip benefit for a UA's elites on US.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice and tips! I'll leave the seats as unassigned and see how the chips fall.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Every time I've flown USairways recently I've gotten a choice seat by asking at check in/gate. *G seems to do the trick. On a recent transcon I was even given a seat in F as there was nobody left on the upgrade list.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 323power
Every time I've flown USairways recently I've gotten a choice seat by asking at check in/gate. *G seems to do the trick. On a recent transcon I was even given a seat in F as there was nobody left on the upgrade list.
Very nice! These are single class flights I believe but I'll definitely see what I can do at check-in for a "Choice" seat
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
I have traveled US airways several times. Somehow I was assigned to choice seats at booking (even when regular seats were available). However if I wanted to move to a different choice seat then the system wanted to charge me.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1KHI
I have traveled US airways several times. Somehow I was assigned to choice seats at booking (even when regular seats were available). However if I wanted to move to a different choice seat then the system wanted to charge me.
I've had this before as a * silver too.

However, I've noticed a change in the last year or too. Used to be ono could call in and agent would give me a choice seat, no questions. But more recently, I've been told elites I'd other airlines can't get them. Interestingly enough, my SO just flew to PHL on US yesterday, and didnt have seats at booking. All that was available was about 3 choice seats near front (CR2). When i tried to call in to get seats the first time, was told there was nothing she could give out. When I called back, on the day of flight, but before she checked in, agent said she already 2F, which was a choice seat. She's a UA 2P.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Choice seats are typically available for sale to anyone - even US elites. That part's annoying.

However, *G doesn't get preferred seating as a published benefit. One may find an agent willing to work to do it, but it's not the norm or required. Goes the same as UA doesn't offer US *G or any other *G E+ seating.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
My last flight on US, inventory management held the seats to the last minute. They only became available at time of boarding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.