Is it possible to do ticketing at JFK?

Old Mar 14, 12, 5:38 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Posts: 1,266
Is it possible to do ticketing at JFK?

... i try to redeem denied boarding vouchers. usually you were able to call in and then they would put your reservation on hold and you would mail those paper vouchers in. as we all now, hold times are crazy right now. i am planing to use the new fare lock option (even though i have to pay fpr it), go to united at jfk on friday since i am flying that day anyway - and have it ticketed then. do you guys think that will work? i hope they are not trying to charge me the $ 30 ticketing fee.... Is it even possible to do ticketing at JFK since the airline has such a small presence there?
flyinghigh77 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 5:42 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Posts: 9,198
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77 View Post
... i try to redeem denied boarding vouchers. usually you were able to call in and then they would put your reservation on hold and you would mail those paper vouchers in. as we all now, hold times are crazy right now. i am planing to use the new fare lock option (even though i have to pay fpr it), go to united at jfk on friday since i am flying that day anyway - and have it ticketed then. do you guys think that will work? i hope they are not trying to charge me the $ 30 ticketing fee.... Is it even possible to do ticketing at JFK since the airline has such a small presence there?
You can definitely do ticketing there..JFK has full service agents (assuming any of them know how to ticket in SHARES.. they will eventually).

I have no idea if you can do a fare lock and ticket at an airport.. new times, new unknown processes. Calling in and seeing if you can still do ticket by mail is your best option.
SEA1K4EVR is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 6:03 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Posts: 1,266
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR View Post
You can definitely do ticketing there..JFK has full service agents (assuming any of them know how to ticket in SHARES.. they will eventually).

I have no idea if you can do a fare lock and ticket at an airport.. new times, new unknown processes. Calling in and seeing if you can still do ticket by mail is your best option.
thanks. calling in, not so easy. spend 2 hours without getting through...
flyinghigh77 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 6:16 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG
Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Posts: 11,754
Interestingly enough, while talking to reservations this morning, I asked how to ticket with one of the UA DB vouchers. Agent told me it had to be mailed in now, and I said I always prefered to ticket at the airport as I didn't trust USPS. She said you couldn't, then qualified with - agents at the airport are very busy learning the new system. I don't know if she was trying to get at that was the reason why, or they literally can't (or won't) do it.

On the other hand, if it can be done at the airport, maybe the new system will stop making them call Visa to type in some sort of verification code - this has happened the last three times I've tried to ticket at the airport (and I've paid with MP visa card).
emcampbe is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 6:25 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Posts: 1,266
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Interestingly enough, while talking to reservations this morning, I asked how to ticket with one of the UA DB vouchers. Agent told me it had to be mailed in now, and I said I always prefered to ticket at the airport as I didn't trust USPS. She said you couldn't, then qualified with - agents at the airport are very busy learning the new system. I don't know if she was trying to get at that was the reason why, or they literally can't (or won't) do it.

On the other hand, if it can be done at the airport, maybe the new system will stop making them call Visa to type in some sort of verification code - this has happened the last three times I've tried to ticket at the airport (and I've paid with MP visa card).
really? you cannot ticket at the airport any more? at least not using denied boarding vouchers?
flyinghigh77 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 6:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,363
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77 View Post
really? you cannot ticket at the airport any more? at least not using denied boarding vouchers?

If this is true, ai am sure it has to do with the system changeover. Former UA vouchers were issued on a different system, which either did or could not be transferred over.

The good news is that VDB vouchers issued in SHARES can be ticketed online, without caling in, mailing in, or driving into the airport.
kwildnj is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 6:48 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Posts: 1,266
so, you are not able to reach anybody on the phone at united to put a reservation on hold for longer (unless you are willing to be on hold for a few hours)

you can put a reservation on hold online, but only for a few days. That is probably not long enough to mail it in.

how can one use denied boarding vouchers these days, if you indeed are unable to ticket at the airport???
flyinghigh77 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 7:23 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 40
You absolutely can redeem VDB paper vouchers at the airport. I did this last week in ATL. And you can actually make a reservation ahead of time online, and then just have the ticket issued at the airport. When you get to the payment page, select 'Cash' and then 'Airport Ticket Office.' It will hold the reservation I think until midnight of the following day. Then take the confirmation number with you to the airport. When I was in ATL, the pmCO agents weren't sure how to issue the ticket with paper vouchers, but they were able to call the help desk and everything was done in about 30 minutes. Much better than trying to call or mail in the vouchers.
hawk209 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 8:10 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Posts: 2,873
Originally Posted by hawk209 View Post
You absolutely can redeem VDB paper vouchers at the airport. I did this last week in ATL. And you can actually make a reservation ahead of time online, and then just have the ticket issued at the airport. When you get to the payment page, select 'Cash' and then 'Airport Ticket Office.' It will hold the reservation I think until midnight of the following day. Then take the confirmation number with you to the airport. When I was in ATL, the pmCO agents weren't sure how to issue the ticket with paper vouchers, but they were able to call the help desk and everything was done in about 30 minutes. Much better than trying to call or mail in the vouchers.
Good to know that you can still ticket at the airport.

Redeeming VDB vouchers last year helped me get to know the JFK staff a lot better.
FlyerChrisK is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 8:49 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Posts: 1,266
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK View Post
Good to know that you can still ticket at the airport.

Redeeming VDB vouchers last year helped me get to know the JFK staff a lot better.
thanks everyone. i put my trip on fare look, and will try to ticket at jfk on friday using my denied boarding vouchers. hopefully information is correct.
flyinghigh77 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 8:58 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,363
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77 View Post
thanks everyone. i put my trip on fare look, and will try to ticket at jfk on friday using my denied boarding vouchers. hopefully information is correct.
Is FareLock still free?


I also do not know how it works. As others had said, you should have chosen "Pay with Cash" at the payment screen.

Did you get a PNR using FareLock?
kwildnj is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 9:11 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Posts: 1,266
Originally Posted by kwildnj View Post
Is FareLock still free?


I also do not know how it works. As others had said, you should have chosen "Pay with Cash" at the payment screen.

Did you get a PNR using FareLock?
yes. i got a record locator. and it says you can finish online or with united reservations. cost is 2 dollars.
flyinghigh77 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 9:45 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG
Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Posts: 11,754
Originally Posted by kwildnj View Post
Is FareLock still free?
Believe FareLock was only ever free for award tickets, for a few days after the merger, while mileage balances were not merged yet for everyone. The idea being that those whose merged mileage balances could by a ticket, but didn't have the full balance showing, wouldn't lose a seat because of the miles merger delay.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Mar 15, 12, 12:58 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: InTransit
Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Posts: 2,044
I've already done about 1/2 dozen and they are fairly easy once you get someone at the Help Desk to walk a CSR through the fill-in. My notes are in order so I can do this without picking up the phone and waiting on hold for 10 minutes.

Sorry to the folks I had the other day whereby I was able to ticket the husband and not the wife because it was my first attempt with the Help Desk and they had to catch a plane. Told them to do it at their destination (Denver) and wished them luck.
FlyingNone is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: