EWR/DEN/IAH/ORD-HNL RPU/GPU rules

Old Mar 14, 12, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
EWR/DEN/IAH/ORD-HNL RPU/GPU rules

Ok we all know on 3/3 the rules changed. Previously the rules for these east-coast flights to HNL required a SWU and that the ticket be booked in an eligible fare class W or higher.

Now with the current rules east-coast to HNL requires a RPU, or GPU in any fare class. now the problem is that this rule has not been pushed though to the system. I have been fighting for an upgrade for the past two weeks.

It has bitten me, and other people http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18199324-post30.html

Can we please all get together and get this fixed?
Old Mar 14, 12, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Should probably add PS flights to this discussion

After 3/3 it put the same restrictions on using RPUs for PS, then they fixed it (I was able to apply one online successfully), but last I heard the site wasn't taking them again...maybe fixed again?
Old Mar 14, 12, 3:29 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
Can we please all get together and get this fixed?
We should get all the FTers that are IT people to go help the new UA. I know I'd be more than willing to help
Old Mar 14, 12, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Should probably add PS flights to this discussion

After 3/3 it put the same restrictions on using RPUs for PS, then they fixed it (I was able to apply one online successfully), but last I heard the site wasn't taking them again...maybe fixed again?
Just checked one of my ps reservations . No, it doesn't work unless it's W or higher.
Old Mar 14, 12, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've managed to get an agent to push one through for me, too, but it took some effort. On the third call it was finally properly waitlisted and two of the three insisted that the GPU was required.

This is definitely something that needs to be on the list to be fixed.
Old Mar 14, 12, 4:01 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Discoverist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
I actually pushed through an upgrade for IAD-HNL on 25 July. I did this about 5 days before the 3/3 integration date. I was amazed that the integration desk made this happen but it worked and no major problems.
Old Mar 14, 12, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by mh3265a View Post
I actually pushed through an upgrade for IAD-HNL on 25 July. I did this about 5 days before the 3/3 integration date. I was amazed that the integration desk made this happen but it worked and no major problems.
It is not working now, and needs to be fixed so it does.
Old Mar 14, 12, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
I just booked a DEN>HNL RT for April and was able to confirm First on the outbound with a Comfirmed Regional.....still waitlisted on the return...
Old Mar 14, 12, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by salty749 View Post
I just booked a DEN>HNL RT for April and was able to confirm First on the outbound with a Comfirmed Regional.....still waitlisted on the return...
Were you able to do this online or did you have to call? Also, is it still a 767?
Old Mar 14, 12, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by love_to_travel View Post
Were you able to do this online or did you have to call? Also, is it still a 767?
did it online @ time of booking.....fare bucket showed RN1/R1

Looks like it's the Micronesia version 767 (only 4 rows of BF)
Old Mar 14, 12, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by salty749 View Post
did it online @ time of booking
This is good news. I usually had to wait for the itinerary to ticket before I could apply the RPU/GPU.
Old Mar 14, 12, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by love_to_travel View Post
This is good news. I usually had to wait for the itinerary to ticket before I could apply the RPU/GPU.
well, technically it was about 10 minutes later, as the new system doesn't issue the ticket immediately like before, but worked like a charm once it was ticketed
Old Sep 22, 12, 12:10 pm

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
chances of upgrade

ewr to hnl, T class, plat status. What are teh chances of getting an upgrade?
Old Sep 22, 12, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by arubalad View Post
This route doesn't offer complimentry upgrades on the non-stop. Are you applying an RPU or using miles plus copay to upgrade? Either way I would say you have a fairly low chance of getting the upgrade unless you are traveling on a very slow day or the flight is full of 200 high school students on a band trip (in which case you won't have much competition from paid upgrades or 1Ks or GSs).
Old Sep 22, 12, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by arubalad View Post
What will you use to support the UG? If it's straight cash and it's offered, it will be the difference between the lowest premium fare published and what you paid and then discounted slightly by your status (will cost you more than 1K, less than Gold).

On this route, not much chance as below 1K and a lot of $ if offered.

Search this Thread