Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Two of us, both Plat, are flying SFO-ORD this Monday morning. W fares purchased and RPUs applied at booking approximately 7 months ago. So far, so good although nothing has cleared.

On Friday, UA began offering UFC on their 3 available F class tix for $469 each, and two were still available this morning at the same price. We passed since we've got E+, with a window/aisle combination. Unfortunately, I've got a bum back and began to worry about someone in the middle seat keeping me immobile for 4 1/2 hours. So, we bought the middle seat - as an EXST - All well and good.

NOW, for the fun part! Our (extra) unoccupied middle seat was offered an upgrade for $209! HAHAHAHA.

UA is truly running a unique business model.

Dave
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bseller
On Friday, UA began offering UFC on their 3 available F class tix for $469 each, and two were still available this morning at the same price.

Our (extra) unoccupied middle seat was offered an upgrade for $209!
I'm guessing Mr. EXST didn't have UA status
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm guessing Mr. EXST didn't have UA status
Nope, you've got that right! He was also offered the opportunity to upgrade with mileage - while our RPUs sit idly by and will (ultimately) go unused.
Dave
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I wonder if Mr. EXST took the upgrade, then checked in and boarded, and "took" his seat, if UA would let it go out empty?

I can see the FB and/or Twitter storms already!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Nope, you've got that right! He was also offered the opportunity to upgrade with mileage - while our RPUs sit idly by and will (ultimately) go unused.
Dave
that's odd. Would require R to be open. Did you check? If R is available you can call and have them clear the RPU.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
that's odd. Would require R to be open. Did you check? If R is available you can call and have them clear the RPU.
Reports are they can no longer clear manually within 3 hours of departure.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my experience is ... they do. You can no longer waitlist, but they can clear you. Whether you get an agent to do it is another question, but frankly if upgrades with miles are offered you should be able to clear an RPU via remove re-apply if needed.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:07 pm

my experience is ... they do. You can no longer waitlist, but they can clear you. Whether you get an agent to do it is another question, but frankly if upgrades with miles are offered you should be able to clear an RPU via remove re-apply if needed.
When did you last accomplish this? Multiple reports that the capability has been removed from agents.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I did this back at the beginning of this year on a LAX-EWR flight with a UC agent. R was available about T-2 and he was able to clear an RPU. As you suggest, though, that may no longer be an option now.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....So, we bought the middle seat - as an EXST - ....
Did you buy this as a separate PNR? or in conjunction with your existing PNR?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-flights.html

Curious if you can be waitlisted and have a valid EXTRASEAT on the same PNR? Os have separate offers for those on the same PNR? (before PNR is split for check-in)
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When did you last accomplish this? Multiple reports that the capability has been removed from agents.
April or May, don't remember the exact date.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Definitely harder but a far cry from impossible to find an agent willing to do it. Still unclear to me whether it's actual policy.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Separate PNR. And, the answer is yes, you can waitlist while simultaneously being the owner of an EXST.
At the time the Seat was offered his Mileage upgrade, I didn't see any open R space.

Dave
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Separate PNR. ....
I was under the impression EXTRASEAT need to be on a common PNR with a real passenger
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
I forget when the announcement/memo came out - time flies but I think it was in April??

Originally Posted by sfo789
Definitely harder but a far cry from impossible to find an agent willing to do it. Still unclear to me whether it's actual policy.
It would be interesting to hear recent pax experiences clearing available PN/R T-3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.