Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I upgraded to a P fare on a now-canceled TPA-EWR flight. They rebooked me into a Y seat on an earlier (but delayed) flight with F seat availability. If there are F seats available, am I supposed to be able to clear directly into one of those seats? Right now, the GA is saying it shows me on the CPU list and the app is offering to sell me an upgrade for $189. Or if I take the paid upgrade, can I request a refund of my paid upgrade on the canceled flight?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I upgraded to a P fare on a now-canceled TPA-EWR flight. They rebooked me into a Y seat on an earlier (but delayed) flight with F seat availability. If there are F seats available, am I supposed to be able to clear directly into one of those seats? Right now, the GA is saying it shows me on the CPU list and the app is offering to sell me an upgrade for $189. Or if I take the paid upgrade, can I request a refund of my paid upgrade on the canceled flight?
Sounds like your prior upgrade did not change your ticketed fare, i.e., it was a pure purchased upgrade and not an upfare. In that situation, your remedy is to request a refund of the upgrade fee due to the flight cancel. Purchasing an upgrade on the new flight would be a separate and unrelated transaction.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sounds like your prior upgrade did not change your ticketed fare, i.e., it was a pure purchased upgrade and not an upfare. In that situation, your remedy is to request a refund of the upgrade fee due to the flight cancel. Purchasing an upgrade on the new flight would be a separate and unrelated transaction.
If a flight has changed and upgrade seats available. gate agent can transfer the upgrade most of the time.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by bhunt
If a flight has changed and upgrade seats available. gate agent can transfer the upgrade most of the time.
This one wouldn't.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I did the upfare right after ticket purchase, and the reservation record showed a P fare and 200x PQM.

I went ahead and took the offer, and will ask for a refund on the cancelled flight. Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I did the upfare right after ticket purchase, and the reservation record showed a P fare and 200x PQM.
Booking code doesn't really tell us anything. Check your receipt from the original upgrade purchase. If the $$ are listed as an add/collect it was an upfare, if there's an "upgrade fee" it was a purchased upgrade.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by wco81
You'd think the UA systems would be smart enough to ...
Yes, one would think that.

And one would be wrong much of the time.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
SIN-HKG 5 Aug

Bought SIN-HKG-SIN for S$300 (US$225), paid using US$75 e-certificate and US$150 cash. United Economy K class.

On website from booking till before check-in, to upgrade one leg would cost S$2000+ to Business and S$4000+ to First. Insane prices, didn't bother.

Now at check-in on United app 24h before my flight, was offered $299 (not sure in US$ or S$ as app didn't indicate - likely US$?) or to upgrade to Business. Decided to go for it since it seemed reasonable.

Note: am SQ KF Silver, where I will earn miles towards for this flight. App also has my UA MP membership (no status).
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
ORD-DCA in a RJ: $1019. That's right: $1019.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt
I've also had luck with the Premier desk, though it took a 3-way with web support to see the previously purchased upgrade.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:10 pm
dso

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Quick question - if you ware waitlisted for an upgrade with an instrument (GPU or mileage) and still on the 'hidden' list, but eligible for checkin; does United offer up-sell to you (when available), or will the system preclude that because you are waitlisted already?

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dso
Quick question - if you ware waitlisted for an upgrade with an instrument (GPU or mileage) and still on the 'hidden' list, but eligible for checkin; does United offer up-sell to you (when available), or will the system preclude that because you are waitlisted already?

Thanks!
Usually yes, you will see the upsell. But anything is possible.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Usually yes, you will see the upsell. But anything is possible.
"Usually" is key, on my last several flights (instruments applied on all) I would say it ran about a little better than half the time I would get the TOD offer (At OLCI or after). Don't ask me why or how it is decided that they throw one at you as I have no idea. A couple of months ago they kept sending me them after OLCI on a flight out of CLE every few hours with each one less than the last, I posted about it. I sat on my RPU and of course F got bought out. It is what it is.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:13 pm

What is this "hidden" list?

fwiw, I don't think I've ever been offered an upsell when I'm waitlisted (miles + co-pay), despite being the first to check in (and seats remaining). The upgrades cleared later.

Originally Posted by dso

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
What is this "hidden" list?
There are two lists for upgrade priority. The visible list is only used for prioritization at the gate. The hidden list is used to upgrade people prior to the gate -- from the time the flight enters the schedule until about three hours before departure.

It's possible to be upgraded, using the priority on the hidden list, even after you've checked in.

You can get more information on the wiki here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hensively.html

The biggest difference between the two is the third tiebreaker -- after status and fare class, the hidden list uses "time of upgrade request" while the visible list uses "time of check-in."
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
There are two lists for upgrade priority. The visible list is only used for prioritization at the gate. The hidden list is used to upgrade people prior to the gate -- from the time the flight enters the schedule until about three hours before departure.

It's possible to be upgraded, using the priority on the hidden list, even after you've checked in.

You can get more information on the wiki here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hensively.html

The biggest difference between the two is the third tiebreaker -- after status and fare class, the hidden list uses "time of upgrade request" while the visible list uses "time of check-in."
And the gate list is a merger of additional waitlists (disserviced passenger, award waitlist, .... and not effecting regular customers, NRSA). More in the refernced thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.