Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Waitlisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United
Waitlisting options
  1. Waitlist for alternative flights times / routing
  2. Waitlisting for a different cabin
From the above link on waitlisting for a different cabin: You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Waitlisting can only be done over the phone, not online.
You can not book a standard award and then waitlist for a saver award.
If waitlisting for a higher cabin, best if done at the time of booking or soon afterward.
If done more than 24 hours after booking you may be charged an award change fee.
Generally, the waitlisted class mileage is deducted at time of request and will be refunded if unsuccessful
When waitlisting for a higher, state you are waitlisting for I (or IN if a plat or higher) -- do not use the word "upgrade", it may confuse the agent

If waitlisting for a segment when the rest of the segments are already in the higher cabin, there is no refund if unsuccessful

Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to waitlist for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. The maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
At the airport, if you have not yet cleared for the higher cabin waitlist, you should be listed on the standby upgrade list (your priority on the waitlist is not well understood -- below are some conflicting theories)

Note: The correct priority term here may, in fact, be a code that is one of WAX, WBX, WCX, or WDX depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status”* which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with "PR-1 status"* then find another one who will. With this status, the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1* status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).
* note "PR-1" may not be the correct term, see the Wxx note proceeding this section

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seems to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.

Related thread - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

Archive of past posts - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 19, 20, 11:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by raghu View Post
1. I know I must do it within 24 hours of ticketing to be sure there are no change fees. But if done beyond 24 hours of ticketing, do change fees apply? ...
No, does not matter when you ask, there is no fee for being waitlisted at any time (assuming the rest of the itin is already in I)
... 2. If the waitlist clears later, will the entire itinerary then be dynamically priced (and, extra miles charged to the account)? Is this an issue especially if it clears within 30 (or, 21?) days of departure -- whenever the close-in extra miles deduction comes into effect? ...
No extra miles will be needed if the rest of the ticket was booked in I.
... 3. Should I ask for waitlist under "I" code, and hence say "WDI" code to be added? ...
If Plat or high, "IN". otherwise "I" -- that's all that is needed
Old Jan 20, 20, 3:24 am

Thank you, WineCountryUA -- done per your suggestion.
I called in, and the first person did not know what to do (it was very quickly apparent).
I called again, a short time later, and now the last segment appears as a waitlist (in addition to the existing economy seats).

Generally how likely is it such waitlists clear? (There are three of us in this PNR; we do not have any status now.).
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by raghu; Jan 20, 20 at 7:15 am Reason: ... updated.
Old Jan 20, 20, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Generally how likely is it such waitlists clear? (There are three of us in this PNR; we do not have any status now.).
Thanks in advance.
Fairly unlikely for domestic flights, although I have been surprised before.

Your best shot is to go to the gate with instrument priority and hope there are seats left. Three is a lot to hope for though.
Old Jan 20, 20, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Fairly unlikely for domestic flights, although I have been surprised before.

Your best shot is to go to the gate with instrument priority and hope there are seats left. Three is a lot to hope for though.
Is that because even though this is a business class award ticket, we are low on the priority list?
Somewhere in one of these threads I read that it is like "PR1.5" meaning after PR1 but before PR2, so I assumed there was some chance.
But I guess if the PR1 itself is a long list, or if there have been recent changes, that explains what you note above?

Also: what is instrument priority?
Thank you.

Last edited by raghu; Jan 20, 20 at 10:23 am Reason: edit
Old Jan 20, 20, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is that because even though this is a business class award ticket, we are low on the priority list?
Somewhere in one of these threads I read that it is like "PR1.5" meaning after PR1 but before PR2, so I assumed there was some chance.
But I guess if the PR1 itself is a long list, or if there have been recent changes, that explains what you note above?

Also: what is instrument priority?
Thank you.
Prior to the gate, you are waitlisted for I class. This tends not to clear often because opening I space is quite rare. Also, the CPU list has a nasty habit of running before RM would open I.

At the gate, you are considered as having a supported upgrade request (same as miles or PlusPoints). You get added to the gate list with that priority, which if all other instruments have cleared could easily be the top. However, you need to wait for an upgrade to clear at the gate for any of this to be relevant, and UA only holds 2 seats to the gate, and those seats are often taken by SDC or TOD.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 9:39 am

Booked EWR-BOS-IST-MNL with the first segment on UA in Y and the latter on TK in J. Tried calling twice, both times they are saying that they cannot waitlist the EWR-BOS because it is a miles ticket. Am I missing something, or is there a magic phrase I need to say in order to get waitlisted?
Old Feb 2, 20, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lowfareair View Post
Booked EWR-BOS-IST-MNL with the first segment on UA in Y and the latter on TK in J. Tried calling twice, both times they are saying that they cannot waitlist the EWR-BOS because it is a miles ticket. Am I missing something, or is there a magic phrase I need to say in order to get waitlisted?
BOS-EWR is only 25 min on air. It would take longer than that amount of time to get waitlist done.
RNE likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
BOS-EWR is only 25 min on air. It would take longer than that amount of time to get waitlist done.
It's a special occasion trip that is becoming 4 flights to get there instead of 2 due to the coronavirus (we still need to fly MNL-CEB). I want to make it as painless for my better half as possible
Old Feb 2, 20, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Waitlist for I class" and keep trying.
Old Feb 2, 20, 12:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
The key thing is don't use the word "upgrade", as mentioned, just request "waitlisting for I"
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP
Wait List for "I" inventory

Searched but can't seem to find the information.

We are booked in about 3 weeks form LAS-IAH-EZE for business class MP award ticket

We have were wait listed for F on the LAS-IAH since there was no "I" inventory available on that flight when we booked 11 months ago.

What position on the priority list does "I" fall? Still 8 seats open in F but there are 4 of us, so not holding out much hope. We all have E+ on the leg.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should be WLPD at the gate (same as anyone with an instrument with your status, presuming no status), but prior to gate control you are simply waiting for a sweep to clear you into open or imputed I space. Generally speaking you will be behind a generic CPU with about 90% probability before the gate (the two processes are independent but CPU usually goes first), and then slotted ahead of CPUs at the gate.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Should be WLPD at the gate (same as anyone with an instrument with your status, presuming no status), but prior to gate control you are simply waiting for a sweep to clear you into open or imputed I space. Generally speaking you will be behind a generic CPU with about 90% probability before the gate (the two processes are independent but CPU usually goes first), and then slotted ahead of CPUs at the gate.
Thank you.
Old Feb 7, 20, 7:51 am

I currently have a 7 day fare lock on an EWR to LHR flight for June. I was going to try using miles to go on the upgrade list for Polaris but the website says "This reservation is not eligible for an upgrade". My initial thought would be that makes sense as I technically didn't buy the ticket yet, but I could have sworn than I got on the waitlist for Polaris last year on that same flight while I was still in fare lock... Once my fare lock ends and the ticket is purchased might the upgrade option appear then ?
Old Feb 7, 20, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phillies View Post
I currently have a 7 day fare lock on an EWR to LHR flight for June. I was going to try using miles to go on the upgrade list for Polaris but the website says "This reservation is not eligible for an upgrade". My initial thought would be that makes sense as I technically didn't buy the ticket yet, but I could have sworn than I got on the waitlist for Polaris last year on that same flight while I was still in fare lock... Once my fare lock ends and the ticket is purchased might the upgrade option appear then ?
You shouldn't be able to upgrade an unticketed PNR. The computer may have allowed it once before, but the current behavior is normal. However, also make sure you are not purchasing Basic Economy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: