Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Waitlisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United
Waitlisting options
  1. Waitlist for alternative flights times / routing
  2. Waitlisting for a different cabin
From the above link on waitlisting for a different cabin: You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Waitlisting can only be done over the phone, not online.
You can not book a standard award and then waitlist for a saver award.
If waitlisting for a higher cabin, best if done at the time of booking or soon afterward.
If done more than 24 hours after booking you may be charged an award change fee.
Generally, the waitlisted class mileage is deducted at time of request and will be refunded if unsuccessful
When waitlisting for a higher, state you are waitlisting for I (or IN if a plat or higher) -- do not use the word "upgrade", it may confuse the agent

If waitlisting for a segment when the rest of the segments are already in the higher cabin, there is no refund if unsuccessful

Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to waitlist for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. The maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
At the airport, if you have not yet cleared for the higher cabin waitlist, you should be listed on the standby upgrade list (your priority on the waitlist is not well understood -- below are some conflicting theories)

Note: The correct priority term here may, in fact, be a code that is one of WAX, WBX, WCX, or WDX depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status”* which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with "PR-1 status"* then find another one who will. With this status, the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1* status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).
* note "PR-1" may not be the correct term, see the Wxx note proceeding this section

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seems to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.

Related thread - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

Archive of past posts - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 31, 18, 7:04 am

Programs: AA PLT UA GLD
I Class Requested Lounge Access

Any chance that having I-Class Requested on your itinerary for international flight will get you access to the United lounges? I've seen here that the lounge CSRs seem to understand better than GAs what the airport waitlist priority should be when in this situation.
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by zzzzz28 View Post
Any chance that having I-Class Requested on your itinerary for international flight will get you access to the United lounges? I've seen here that the lounge CSRs seem to understand better than GAs what the airport waitlist priority should be when in this situation.
They will not let you in. That's against policy.

Lounge CSRs understand better than GA's what the priority should be if you're not waitlisted for I. That statement is correct.

That doesn't mean that they'll bend policy to allow someone in Economy (assuming no *G status) on an Intl flight to access United lounges. That's like allowing every person who's waitlisted using an instrument (GPU) to access them as well, since they've already 'paid' using their instrument, no?
Old Feb 2, 18, 10:35 pm

Programs: UAL Mileage Plus
upgrade waitlist international

Hi everyone, I am trying to book Award seats ORD-SYD. Not easy as you know, so we are considering purchasing economy and then using miles + cash to upgrade. When I go to purchase, it gives me the price and UPGRADE WAITLIST. Now, here is the issue. We are not going to fly if we cannot fly biz, so we dont want to buy the econ tix if we are not guaranteed the upgrade. Thoughts?
Old Feb 2, 18, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timlarry View Post
Hi everyone, I am trying to book Award seats ORD-SYD. Not easy as you know, so we are considering purchasing economy and then using miles + cash to upgrade. When I go to purchase, it gives me the price and UPGRADE WAITLIST. Now, here is the issue. We are not going to fly if we cannot fly biz, so we dont want to buy the econ tix if we are not guaranteed the upgrade. Thoughts?
The only way to be guaranteed an upgrade is to look for confirmable space at the time of booking. The easiest way to do this is via Expert Mode. (There's a board thread on this). Search on your dates of travel from the UA gateway to Australia (in other words, from IAH, SFO, and LAX, not from ORD). Look for R>=2 (or however many of you are going). If you find it, go back and do your search from ORD, make sure you get that same flight, and do the upgrade. You will likely be waitlisted on the domestic flight, but the international flight will clear immediately.

A word of warning -- R space can be very difficult to find.

Good luck!
Old Feb 2, 18, 10:58 pm

Programs: UAL Mileage Plus
This was VERY helpful. Cannot believe I have been searching and getting UA and Star Alliance Awards (usually with great success) and I did not know about Expert Mode. Thanks again.
BTW - I did just check two weeks of flight using IAH, SFO and LAX....no R seats available....darn.
Old Feb 8, 18, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Polaris award question...

Hello,
A friend and I are flying RSW-EWR-NRT at the end of the month on miles. The booking has us in economy from RSW to EWR and then Polaris on to NRT. the last time I looked, First on the first leg still has empty seats. What are the odds of when we arrive at RSW, appealing to the agent that since I paid miles for FC for the entire trip, that we can get an upgrade to First? Or is there anything I can do now to make that happen? I do not have status, just a buttload of miles..... Seems if part is First, it should all be....

Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Old Feb 8, 18, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA View Post
is there anything I can do now to make that happen?
Since you paid the cost for a Business Class award, you should call United to get waitlisted for F on that flight. No need to ask for any favors - this is SOP.
Old Feb 8, 18, 5:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
....What are the odds of when we arrive at RSW, appealing to the agent that since I paid miles for FC for the entire trip, that we can get an upgrade to First? Or is there anything I can do now to make that happen? ...
As mentioned, you should get on the waitlist now.

If there are any F seats left on the day of departure, not a certainty, there will be an existing waitlist and the GA should honor the waitlist over a last minute request.
Old Feb 8, 18, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
The only way to be guaranteed an upgrade is to look for confirmable space at the time of booking. The easiest way to do this is via Expert Mode. (There's a board thread on this). Search on your dates of travel from the UA gateway to Australia (in other words, from IAH, SFO, and LAX, not from ORD). Look for R>=2 (or however many of you are going). If you find it, go back and do your search from ORD, make sure you get that same flight, and do the upgrade. You will likely be waitlisted on the domestic flight, but the international flight will clear immediately.
Don't you have to search ORD-SYD due to married segment availability for R?
Old Feb 8, 18, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Don't you have to search ORD-SYD due to married segment availability for R?
No; you specifically can't search ORD-SYD due to the way R is displayed. Upgrades clear on a leg-by-leg basis. If LAX-SYD is R2, but ORD-LAX is R0, ORD-SYD will display R0 -- but if you were to purchase and upgrade that route, LAX-SYD would clear immediately and ORD-LAX would waitlist.
Old Feb 9, 18, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I gave them a call, and the rather terse lady on the other end, said "No Way"! The award seat quota for the RSW-EWR leg in First is filled, so even if there are empty seats, and even though we are in Polaris for the rest of the trip, they will sell them rather than give them to me for "Free".... Only if another award person cancels their ticket will we get up front. Ahhh they certainly were not "Free" as those miles have value.... This is making Ultimate Reward points seem a much better option in the future over my United miles that I used for this trip..

JudyJFLA

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
As mentioned, you should get on the waitlist now.

If there are any F seats left on the day of departure, not a certainty, there will be an existing waitlist and the GA should honor the waitlist over a last minute request.
Old Feb 9, 18, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I gave them a call, and the rather terse lady on the other end, said "No Way"! The award seat quota for the RSW-EWR leg in First is filled, so even if there are empty seats, and even though we are in Polaris for the rest of the trip, they will sell them rather than give them to me for "Free".... Only if another award person cancels their ticket will we get up front. Ahhh they certainly were not "Free" as those miles have value.... This is making Ultimate Reward points seem a much better option in the future over my United miles that I used for this trip..

JudyJFLA
None of this is accurate. You got a Mistaken or Lying Agent. Hang up and try again.

Edit: On second thought, it may depend upon what you asked. If you asked "can you please put me into first class," then the agent is sort of correct -- there's not currently any award space available on RSW-EWR, and they will try to sell the seats for cash. However, the part about requiring another person to cancel is just made-up garbage.

What you want to say, specifically, is "We have a business class award from RSW-NRT, but we're in economy from RSW to EWR. Can you please waitlist us for first class on RSW-EWR?

Last edited by jsloan; Feb 9, 18 at 11:43 am
Old Feb 9, 18, 2:50 pm
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
What you want to say, specifically, is "We have a business class award from RSW-NRT, but we're in economy from RSW to EWR. Can you please waitlist us for first class on RSW-EWR?
Related question: Would there need to be two available seats for a 2-person itinerary to clear the waitlist? Or will it clear one pax if one seat is available? If the former, then would it make sense to split the reservation?
Old Feb 9, 18, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Related question: Would there need to be two available seats for a 2-person itinerary to clear the waitlist? Or will it clear one pax if one seat is available? If the former, then would it make sense to split the reservation?
Yes, two would need to be available at the same time to clear prior to the gate.

Spitting the reservation increases the likelihood of at least one clearing. It also makes it possible for one person to clear and the other person not to clear, which some pax don't want, and it can mess up elite benefits.
Old Feb 9, 18, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It will also split the PNR at check-in if uncleared.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: