Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Waitlisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United
Waitlisting options
  1. Waitlist for alternative flights times / routing
  2. Waitlisting for a different cabin
From the above link on waitlisting for a different cabin: You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Waitlisting can only be done over the phone, not online.
You can not book a standard award and then waitlist for a saver award.
If waitlisting for a higher cabin, best if done at the time of booking or soon afterward.
If done more than 24 hours after booking you may be charged an award change fee.
Generally, the waitlisted class mileage is deducted at time of request and will be refunded if unsuccessful
When waitlisting for a higher, state you are waitlisting for I (or IN if a plat or higher) -- do not use the word "upgrade", it may confuse the agent

If waitlisting for a segment when the rest of the segments are already in the higher cabin, there is no refund if unsuccessful

Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to waitlist for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. The maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
At the airport, if you have not yet cleared for the higher cabin waitlist, you should be listed on the standby upgrade list (your priority on the waitlist is not well understood -- below are some conflicting theories)

Note: The correct priority term here may, in fact, be a code that is one of WAX, WBX, WCX, or WDX depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status”* which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with "PR-1 status"* then find another one who will. With this status, the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1* status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).
* note "PR-1" may not be the correct term, see the Wxx note proceeding this section

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seems to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.

Related thread - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

Archive of past posts - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 18, 18, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I believe that the current policy is that you can only waitlist for one or the other, although you can certainly ask. If you did clear into XN, you could presumably call in to waitlist for IN.
Cool! Thanks! First is not that important on such a short flight. I just noticed that the difference is due to day of the week. The expensive date is a Saturday, when the flight is on a CRJ 200 vs a Monday when the scheduled aircraft is a CRJ 700. Maybe there will be an equipment change. Trip is for mid November.
Old Jan 20, 18, 11:40 am

Sorry for the newbie questions. Never book a flight with award before and trying to get biz class for SFO >LON>PAR>SFO. From what I read i can't request for waitlist to biz , if I use award to book economy? Would it make any difference if i have United CC? I read that I have CPU priority? Lastly, is it wise to move UR to United if I'm going to ask for waitlist? only have 58k with UA. it be for 2 travelers.
Old Jan 20, 18, 1:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Welcome to FT!, Flyingwith5

Originally Posted by Flyingwith5 View Post
Sorry for the newbie questions. Never book a flight with award before and trying to get biz class for SFO >LON>PAR>SFO. From what I read i can't request for waitlist to biz , if I use award to book economy? Would it make any difference if i have United CC? I read that I have CPU priority? Lastly, is it wise to move UR to United if I'm going to ask for waitlist? only have 58k with UA. it be for 2 travelers.
LON== London? UA only flys to LHR in the London area
PAR== Paris? UA does not fly between London and Paris, so that would be a partner but not aware of a partner flight to CDG or ORY from LHR

A Chase MP CC will not help on business class awards (will help on economy class)
No CPU for TATL or partner flights

You can waitlist for a higher cabin on UA operated flights but can not for partner operated (even if UA codeshare).
Old Jan 20, 18, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Welcome to FT!, Flyingwith5

LON== London? UA only flys to LHR in the London area
PAR== Paris? UA does not fly between London and Paris, so that would be a partner but not aware of a partner flight to CDG or ORY from LHR

A Chase MP CC will not help on business class awards (will help on economy class)
No CPU for TATL or partner flights

You can waitlist for a higher cabin on UA operated flights but can not for partner operated (even if UA codeshare).
When i did my search i used LON and PAR. Thanks for the info on the exact airport.

can i book economy saver and ask to be waitlisted? while i was searching earlier i stumble across 60k but then now its gone? Does that means someone got it? thanks
Old Jan 20, 18, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
When i did my search i used LON and PAR. Thanks for the info on the exact airport....
City codes don't work well on the UA site and it is better to use airport codes

can i book economy saver and ask to be waitlisted? ...
You can waitlist for a higher cabin on UA operated flights but can not for partner operated flights(even if UA codeshare).

while i was searching earlier i stumble across 60k but then now its gone? Does that means someone got it? thanks
That's a likely outcome. Award inventory can be very dynamic -- lots of people looking and very limited inventory.

But to restate a point, getting from London to Paris (non-stop) by Star Alliance partner is going to be difficult. You might consider Eurostar train.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 21, 18 at 2:16 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 21, 18, 2:08 am

Programs: UA Silver
But to restate a point, getting from London to Paris (non-stop) by Star Alliance partner is going to be difficult. You might consider Eurostar train.
I don't think OP specified ns. If they're doing a RT anyways, might as well take the free biz OW on a partner.

OP, you ought to use LON and PAR for those segments. Make sure biz is avail at booking bc (I'm assuming) you won't get it after.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 21, 18 at 2:13 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 21, 18, 2:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Agreed. London to LHR to *A hub (FRA, MUC, ZRH, etc.) to CDG to Paris will waste a full day.
Old Jan 22, 18, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Agreed. London to LHR to *A hub (FRA, MUC, ZRH, etc.) to CDG to Paris will waste a full day.
I disagree. You could spend 8 hours in OPO/LIS or ZRH or FRA! How is that wasting a day? Provided OP wants to explore, of course. And it could be done with a shorter connection.

But the main benefit to me is the flights would be free (unlike other modes of transport).
Old Jan 25, 18, 3:20 pm
smn

To be clear, assuming the waitlist doesn't clear before checkin, can I check-in online (or app) and be waitlisted in appropriate order, or is the only way to do it to have an agent apply the correct code at checkin?
Old Jan 25, 18, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by smn View Post
To be clear, assuming the waitlist doesn't clear before checkin, can I check-in online (or app) and be waitlisted in appropriate order, or is the only way to do it to have an agent apply the correct code at checkin?
It should be automatic and appears to be more automatic than in past but there are still issues at times (such as checking in via a partner).
Old Jan 26, 18, 9:55 pm

Thanks to everyone who walked me through this process.

I am currently waitlisted for BOM - EWR on 1/29/18. I have given up hope with this route in getting the upgrade before the T-24 window, so I just wanted to make sure I understand the waitlist priority order.

My reservation currently says "I class requested". Should I call the UA help desk prior to the T-24 to clarify I am on the correct "PR-1" waitlist?
Assuming I do not get the upgrade prior to check in, who should I talk to at the airport to make sure I am on the proper waitilist? Is it the check in agent? or do I have to wait until the GA appears in front of our departure gate?

Finally, when speaking to someone at the airport, what is the exact phrase I should be asking the agent to be looking at to confirm I have the correct priority on the waitlist? Should I be listed ahead of people using GPUs? This seems to be a grey area.

My flight shows
J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0

And the flight status upgrade page shows 36 of 50 booked plus 1 blocked so I feel like my chances are decent unless there a ton of TOD upgrades. As long as I am towards the top of the priority list.
Old Jan 26, 18, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn View Post
I wanted to make sure I understand the waitlist priority order.
No one outside UA knows the "for sure" answer to that question. I would tend to agree that with P9 just a few days out, your chances look pretty okay.

My reservation currently says "I class requested". Should I call the UA help desk prior to the T-24 to clarify I am on the correct "PR-1" waitlist?
Recent reports are that the waitlist processes correctly. Unless something is obviously wrong, like your name isn't on the waitlist after you check-in, I would leave the good folks at United alone - both phone and gate agents.

Also, as has been reported multiple times in this thread, PR-1 is not the proper status for an award waitlist.

Should I be listed ahead of people using GPUs?
I believe the correct answer is "no" though you are correct it is still somewhat gray area.

There was a time you needed to babysit these award waitlist requests, but those days appear to be over. (And I would add that I don't believe the information in the wiki is either updated or correct.)
Old Jan 26, 18, 10:22 pm

Thanks Kacee for the quick reply.

I will take your advice and only follow up with United if I do not see my name on the upgrade list when I check in. If I see my name dropping like a rock when I get to the airport, I will probably see what the check in agent says.
Old Jan 27, 18, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You should get an email right before check-in that's exactly like when you have an un-cleared upgrade instrument ("we could not confirm your upgrade on...") and you should be added to the upgrade standby list on check-in. Agree with Kacee that if that happens, the system is working right (whatever your priority) and you should report back how high on the list you are.

I am in the camp which believes this priority should place you after all instrument upgrades, which on an int'l route means you should be at the bottom of the list except for NRSA.
Old Jan 28, 18, 1:49 am

Programs: AA PLT
If I want to WL for a UA leg in I connecting to a partner, should I book the partner connection in X in case the WL doesn't clear so I can get the mileage difference refunded? Presumably, if I booked the partner connection in the front cabin, I couldn't get the mileage difference refunded even though I flew UA in Y.

Last edited by linglingfool; Jan 28, 18 at 12:56 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: