Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 10, 18, 5:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Waitlisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United
Waitlisting options
  1. Waitlist for alternative flights times / routing
  2. Waitlisting for a different cabin
From the above link on waitlisting for a different cabin: You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Waitlisting can only be done over the phone, not online.
You can not book a standard award and then waitlist for a saver award.
If waitlisting for a higher cabin, best if done at the time of booking or soon afterward.
If done more than 24 hours after booking you may be charged an award change fee.
Generally, the waitlisted class mileage is deducted at time of request and will be refunded if unsuccessful

If waitlisting for a segment when the rest of the segments are already in the higher cabin, there is no refund if unsuccessful

Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to waitlist for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
At the airport, if you have not yet cleared for the higher cabin waitlist, you should be listed on the standby upgrade list (your priority on the waitlist is not well understood -- below are some conflicting theories)

Note: The correct priority term here may, in fact, be a code that is one of WAX, WBX, WCX, or WDX depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw View Post
The agent should give you “PR-1 status”* which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with "PR-1 status"* then find another one who will. With this status, the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1* status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).
* note "PR-1" may not be the correct term, see the Wxx note proceeding this section

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seems to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.

Related thread - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

Archive of past posts - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 2, 19, 5:03 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by blue0045 View Post
We booked a separate first class award ticket for our onward trip from SFO-ORD.
Why did you do this?
Old Mar 2, 19, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RexxAppeal View Post
So later this month I have an Economy Saver booking, and both segments say:
"Waitlisted You will be automatically confirmed on this flight if space in your request class United Polaris business (I) becomes available."

The combined itinerary shows Available fare classes:J4JN4C4D4Z4ZN4P2PN0PZ0IN0I0

If I search the segments separately, I get:

International Available fare classes:J9JN9C9D9Z9ZN9P0PN0PZ0IN0I0
Domestic Available fare classes:J3JN3C0D0Z0ZN0P0PN0PZ0IN0I0

I've never done this before, so I'm wondering what my odds of getting the upgrades are, and if I should do anything before checkin opens.
Without knowing the route, it's hard to speculate too much. You should watch for I space on each segment (separately), but it is unlikely to show up far in advance of departure.
Old Mar 3, 19, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Without knowing the route, it's hard to speculate too much. You should watch for I space on each segment (separately), but it is unlikely to show up far in advance of departure.
AKL-SFO and SFO-PHL.

I'm crossing my fingers that Z9/ZN9 less than a month out is a good sign. The seating chart shows 15 unclaimed business seats today, although it was 16 for my original post.

The domestic segment is up to J4/JN4 with 5 seats showing, but I'm more pessimistic there.

I have alerts set on ExpertFlyer in case it doesn't happen automatically, so I'm guessing that's all I can do until checkin.
Old Mar 3, 19, 8:51 am

AKL-SFO and SFO-PHL.

I'm crossing my fingers that Z9/ZN9 less than a month out is a good sign. The seating chart shows 15 unclaimed business seats today, although it was 16 for my original post.

The domestic segment is up to J4/JN4 with 5 seats showing, but I'm more pessimistic there.

I have alerts set on ExpertFlyer in case it doesn't happen automatically, so I'm guessing that's all I can do until checkin.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't consider Z space within 30 days to be particularly encouraging. Although AKL-SFO is one of the easier routes to upgrade overall, I would feel better if they opened PN space. You should get added to the upgrade list automatically at check-in, and this might be your best shot to get a seat.

I don't think the domestic segment has any chance of happening unfortunately.
Old Mar 9, 19, 5:29 am

Unfortunately, I wouldn't consider Z space within 30 days to be particularly encouraging. Although AKL-SFO is one of the easier routes to upgrade overall, I would feel better if they opened PN space. You should get added to the upgrade list automatically at check-in, and this might be your best shot to get a seat.

I don't think the domestic segment has any chance of happening unfortunately.
I checked again this morning, they've added P8, PN5. Still 14 seats open on the search.
Old Mar 9, 19, 11:51 am

I checked again this morning, they've added P8, PN5. Still 14 seats open on the search.
It might come down to getting on the gate upgrade list, but I think you've got a fair shot. Good luck!
Old Mar 17, 19, 1:12 pm

Sorry if this is already answered, I didn't see it in a quick search...

If I'm booked on Aeroplan business class award, with the final segment being on United, but only economy, can I still call and waitlist for business class on that flight? Or do you have to have booked with United directly for the waitlist option?
Old Mar 17, 19, 1:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Cohall View Post
...If I'm booked on Aeroplan business class award, with the final segment being on United, but only economy, can I still call and waitlist for business class on that flight? ...
Only AP can change the ticket. They will only pay UA for an economy seat with you present ticket (even though you booked business with AP) -- so it would require an AP ticket change.
Originally Posted by Cohall View Post
...Or do you have to have booked with United directly for the waitlist option?
correct
Old Mar 17, 19, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Only AE can change the ticket. They will only pay UA for an economy seat (even though you booked business with AE)
correct
Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 19, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, WN A+
Hello,
This is a question about post IN wait listing. I have a three leg flight from MCI-SFO-AKL-ZQN.
I was wait-listed on a domestic leg MCI-SFO (XN-IN). Wait list ended and I cannot check in due to one way reward flight.
Called the 1K line got a greenhorn, and called back.
Talked to web support, told I could not check in due to one way ticket. Asked if I could get added to the CPU list. (I have the CC)
She did call and try to have me added, but said she could not. However mentioned she added me to the IN list AGAIN.
I have read many threads about this, and have only seen a few mentions of this.
I would appreciate anyone who has experienced this type of situation weighing in.
Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 19, 6:33 pm

New Zealand requires proof of onward travel (or sufficient funds) unless you have the appropriate documentation to be resident in New Zealand, hence the fact that you cannot check in online. (An agent in MCI will have to verify your documentation to ensure that you will be accepted on arrival at AKL by the immigration authorities.)

I don't know what you mean by your waitlist "ending". If you had an IN segment properly added to your record, nothing about passing T-24 should change that. You will get an e-mail that your upgrade "could not be confirmed", and it will take your reservation with an SSR code so that you get added to the upgrade standby list when you check in. The upgrade standby (visible) list is not used except by the gate agent when running upgrades to close the flight. The only potential issue you could face is losing ties based on sequence number, but that's not very likely to matter in this instance.

In theory you should also be CPU eligible on MCI-SFO, which should process independently from the IN waitlist segment, but be overridden by the SSR tag when you check in (since SSR is higher priority).
Old Mar 17, 19, 7:25 pm

New Zealand requires proof of onward travel (or sufficient funds) unless you have the appropriate documentation to be resident in New Zealand, hence the fact that you cannot check in online. (An agent in MCI will have to verify your documentation to ensure that you will be accepted on arrival at AKL by the immigration authorities.)

I don't know what you mean by your waitlist "ending". If you had an IN segment properly added to your record, nothing about passing T-24 should change that. You will get an e-mail that your upgrade "could not be confirmed", and it will take your reservation with an SSR code so that you get added to the upgrade standby list when you check in. The upgrade standby (visible) list is not used except by the gate agent when running upgrades to close the flight. The only potential issue you could face is losing ties based on sequence number, but that's not very likely to matter in this instance.

In theory you should also be CPU eligible on MCI-SFO, which should process independently from the IN waitlist segment, but be overridden by the SSR tag when you check in (since SSR is higher priority).
Thanks for the quick response.
What I meant by waitlist "ending" was that the icon no longer shows up on the reservation and that there is no longer any acknowledgement of waitlist or request for CPU. I did not receive an email indicating that the reservation could not be confirmed either.
I do appreciate the explanation of the processing logic. This implies that the SSR standing should override others checked in with lower standing?
Old Mar 17, 19, 8:07 pm

That's odd - you should still have the waitlist segment in your record.

Originally Posted by MHDFLYER View Post
I do appreciate the explanation of the processing logic. This implies that the SSR standing should override others checked in with lower standing?
Yes. However, note that the SSR tag is the standard process that any instrument-supported upgrade gets added to the visible list -- it just means you will have priority over all (non-GS, non-1K YBM) CPUs.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 am

Thanks very much. I appreciate your time.