Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Waitlisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United
Waitlisting options
  1. Waitlist for alternative flights times / routing
  2. Waitlisting for a different cabin
From the above link on waitlisting for a different cabin: You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Waitlisting can only be done over the phone, not online.
You can not book a standard award and then waitlist for a saver award.
If waitlisting for a higher cabin, best if done at the time of booking or soon afterward.
If done more than 24 hours after booking you may be charged an award change fee.
Generally, the waitlisted class mileage is deducted at time of request and will be refunded if unsuccessful
When waitlisting for a higher, state you are waitlisting for I (or IN if a plat or higher) -- do not use the word "upgrade", it may confuse the agent

If waitlisting for a segment when the rest of the segments are already in the higher cabin, there is no refund if unsuccessful

Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to waitlist for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. The maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
At the airport, if you have not yet cleared for the higher cabin waitlist, you should be listed on the standby upgrade list (your priority on the waitlist is not well understood -- below are some conflicting theories)

Note: The correct priority term here may, in fact, be a code that is one of WAX, WBX, WCX, or WDX depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status”* which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with "PR-1 status"* then find another one who will. With this status, the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1* status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).
* note "PR-1" may not be the correct term, see the Wxx note proceeding this section

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seems to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.

Related thread - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

Archive of past posts - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"

Old Jul 7, 2023, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
It sounds like you were given the CPU upgrade priority for an award flight, the benefit for having the credit card(unless you’re GS etc) They often mix the two up, that could well have been dead last. Do you actually have a credit card?
If OP is Silver, that would absolutely make sense.

ETA: However, OP’s profile says 1K MM, so last wouldn’t fit. findark’s answer in the next post is a better explanation.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Jul 7, 2023 at 9:38 am Reason: Per the ETA
Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The visible list on the website ranks I(N) requests last, after all CPUs.

This shouldn't matter before the gate, since it is the actual waitlisted segment clearing.

I don't think we have enough data for what the GA sees or how the CPUs will be run at the gate if relevant. The website list is new code ever since it displays pax not checked in, and I believe it is trying to do some sorting by merging various eligibilities for upgrades. This may or may not mirror a change to the backend at the same time.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
The visible list on the website ranks I(N) requests last, after all CPUs.
Really? That seems… wrong. I mean, OK, I guess if it’s sorting PN / PZ / IN / I, that’d happen, but that doesn’t feel like the right behavior. It’d mean you’d be better off not waitlisting your domestic leg if you have a CPU-eligible credit card and Premier status.
SPN Lifer and NYC2SGN like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Really? That seems… wrong. I mean, OK, I guess if it’s sorting PN / PZ / IN / I, that’d happen, but that doesn’t feel like the right behavior. It’d mean you’d be better off not waitlisting your domestic leg if you have a CPU-eligible credit card and Premier status.
I agree that it doesn't seem like what should happen, but this is definitely the order that names are displayed on the flight status page. IN waitlisted pax show up after CPUs because CPUs "request PZ".

IN can clear before CPUs happen, although admittedly that's not going to happen on a domestic flight.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Just completed SYD-LAX-SFO, first leg in IN, second leg in XN. About a week ago I called and waitlisted the second leg in IN (yes, should have done it earlier but forgot), which was done in 30 seconds without any issues.

Previously when I've done this, and it didn't clear before 24 hours, I was listed towards the top of the "upgrade" list - from memory based on there actually being 2 lists behind the scenes, one for passengers who were waitlisted into a class they had already "paid" for, and one for upgraders.

However today I was dead last on the upgrade list - 19th out of 19th (after upgrades were cleared). Have the rules here changed, or did the agent do something wrong with the waitlist? Obviously only a short flight so not a real issue, but there were 5 people upgraded at the gate, so odds are I would have been if I had been nearer the top.
Originally Posted by jsloan
I’m pretty sure that the correct classification for an XN->IN request is after instrument-supported upgrades but ahead of CPUs.

Dead last sounds Iike a mistake. There have been occasional reports of glitches where the list position makes no sense. This sounds like one of those. Even if they mistakenly omitted your status, I wouldn’t expect you to be behind CPUs at the gate. (Prior to the gate, yes; it’s a weird quirk of the system).
I agree that it doesn't seem like what should happen, but this is definitely the order that names are displayed on the flight status page. IN waitlisted pax show up after CPUs because CPUs "request PZ".

IN can clear before CPUs happen, although admittedly that's not going to happen on a domestic flight.
maybe one is supposed to notify the agent at check-in to standby for the higher cabin within two hours of departure?? can't wrap my head around this - can anyone explain?

Standby for international awards

Premier members who have used miles for award travel in United Polaris business class, United First or United Business, but can only confirm seats on some segments in United Economy, may stand by for the higher cabin at the airport within two hours of departure. Premier members should simply notify the airport agent upon check-in. For unused United Polaris business class or United Business awards, the mileage difference between United Economy and the higher cabin may be re-deposited free of charge. This benefit only applies to United Airlines flights.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 7:03 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Politely deal with anyone you come across by noting the following (the choice of words can help):

- you are flying on a business class [award] ticket
- you are currently seated in Economy
- you would like to waitlist/standby for a business/first seat
- you should be added to the [upgrade] standby list with "PR-1" priority
- it may help to mention this is documented in GG ONESTANDBY 85

But be aware that this has not worked out many times in the past, so be prepared to sit in Y. Don't push it with agents who don't seem cooperative, and I would not waste time HUCA unless your really care (but ask the checkin agent and/or GA).
Hi All -

I am in the same boat as the OP. What is the current UA policy for this? I am on IAH-IAD-HND where IAH-IAD is in XN and IAD-HND is in IN class. Can I still call the service center and have them place me on the list? Do I tell them the same thing?
Old Jul 8, 2023, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Hi All -

I am in the same boat as the OP. What is the current UA policy for this? I am on IAH-IAD-HND where IAH-IAD is in XN and IAD-HND is in IN class. Can I still call the service center and have them place me on the list? Do I tell them the same thing?
You can still request IN class waitlist IAH-IAD. The template for the request is still good. Much of the other information in that post is obsolete, though, unfortunately. Additionally, several agents don't know how to do this, so it may take several calls. I would only bother requesting IN waitlist if IN is open or you have good reason to believe it will be soon.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
You can still request IN class waitlist IAH-IAD. The template for the request is still good. Much of the other information in that post is obsolete, though, unfortunately. Additionally, several agents don't know how to do this, so it may take several calls. I would only bother requesting IN waitlist if IN is open or you have good reason to believe it will be soon.
This helps a lot. Thanks. This is what United.com says. I assume this is related to the same issue, correct?

"You may use miles for travel in United First®, United Business® or United Polaris® business class, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United Polaris business class and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United Polaris business class or United Business class segment of the trip cannot be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center."
Old Jul 8, 2023, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
This helps a lot. Thanks. This is what United.com says. I assume this is related to the same issue, correct?

"You may use miles for travel in United First®, United Business® or United Polaris® business class, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United Polaris business class and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United Polaris business class or United Business class segment of the trip cannot be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center."
Sort of. I believe that text relates to a scenario like redeeming for IN on IAD-HND but confirming in XN with IN waitlisted, since inventory is IN0. In this case, you have already redeemed for IN IAH-HND, routed IAH-IAD-HND, but the domestic segment delegated to XN, so you can request that IN be waitlisted for that segment. It's not something that's clearly documented anywhere, as far as I know.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Sort of. I believe that text relates to a scenario like redeeming for IN on IAD-HND but confirming in XN with IN waitlisted, since inventory is IN0. In this case, you have already redeemed for IN IAH-HND, routed IAH-IAD-HND, but the domestic segment delegated to XN, so you can request that IN be waitlisted for that segment. It's not something that's clearly documented anywhere, as far as I know.
Got it. That is what I thought. Thanks for explaining this clearly with examples. Much appreciated
Old Jul 16, 2023, 2:03 pm

Politely deal with anyone you come across by noting the following (the choice of words can help):

- you are flying on a business class [award] ticket
- you are currently seated in Economy
- you would like to waitlist/standby for a business/first seat
- you should be added to the [upgrade] standby list with "PR-1" priority
- it may help to mention this is documented in GG ONESTANDBY 85

But be aware that this has not worked out many times in the past, so be prepared to sit in Y. Don't push it with agents who don't seem cooperative, and I would not waste time HUCA unless your really care (but ask the checkin agent and/or GA).
After multiple times of HUCA, I was able to get this to work. For IAD-JNB I'm confirmed in XN with I(N) waitlisted. The business saver miles were deducted and I was told to save my boarding pass if I'm in economy. I was also told its unlikely that I'll clear because I'm in the double digits on the waitlist.
sexykitten7 likes this.

Last edited by Nate Nate; Jul 16, 2023 at 2:05 pm Reason: future reference
Old Jul 16, 2023, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Nate Nate
After multiple times of HUCA, I was able to get this to work. For IAD-JNB I'm confirmed in XN with I(N) waitlisted. The business saver miles were deducted and I was told to save my boarding pass if I'm in economy. I was also told its unlikely that I'll clear because I'm in the double digits on the waitlist.
well, maybe. You are on the waitlist but if IN becomes available you can confirm and jump the waitlist. IN will open before PZ and while IN waitlist is below PZ (not sure why) ... once open, you call and they can confirm. Watching the inventory right until departure is critical when on an IN waitlist.
SPN Lifer and DCJoe1 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 8:07 pm

Question

Originally Posted by cfischer
well, maybe. You are on the waitlist but if IN becomes available you can confirm and jump the waitlist. IN will open before PZ and while IN waitlist is below PZ (not sure why) ... once open, you call and they can confirm. Watching the inventory right until departure is critical when on an IN waitlist.
Now its <24 hours before the flight. My waitlist didn't clear (I was 25 on the upgrade list) before check-in time. What happens now? I'm no longer listed on the Upgrade list or Standby list, and my reservation no longer shows the waitlist.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle

Data point: I had my partner (no status) waitlisted for 'IN' on a domestic flight. On upgrade list, he was 14/17. I'm assuming it was going to end up like my previous experience, where I was below all revenue passengers (including pax on award tickets who had the UACC and not waitlisted) even though I am 1K. But, he cleared into 'IN' at T-36!
Old Aug 5, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
Data point: I had my partner (no status) waitlisted for 'IN' on a domestic flight. On upgrade list, he was 14/17. I'm assuming it was going to end up like my previous experience, where I was below all revenue passengers (including pax on award tickets who had the UACC and not waitlisted) even though I am 1K. But, he cleared into 'IN' at T-36!
If IN opens up, you will clear "instantly". The upgrade list order applies when no IN is open and UA is processing automated upgrades.
SPN Lifer, NYC2SGN and mattkp like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.