Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The new United: no baggage fees and Premier Access

Old Mar 14, 12, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada and Sacramento, CA, US; UA Explorer Card Holder

I love the new United! My companion and I flew on a one-way award to San Juan, PR on the old UA (and on a US Air segment) and had to pay $50 for 2 checked bags. On the return, a one-way award booked a week later about 11 months ago, we were pleasantly surprised to find that our baggage fees were now $0.00. Moreover, a mysterious heading appeared on our boarding passes stating "Premier Access". We were in boarding group 5, and boarded ahead of most people, ensuring access to bin space on a fully-booked flight.

In checking this out, I determined that the taxes ($10) each way had been charged to my UA Chase card in April 2011, which I no longer have. At the moment, I have only a CO Business card, while my companion holds both UA and CO cards.

It's a bit of a mystery to us why the 2 segments turned out differently, but since we were expecting to pay $50 for the return segment, we are not unhappy. My GF has not had any paid flights on UA in the past 10 years, only award flights.

Can anyone explain this? I do plan to apply for the new UA Explorer card later this year, likely after the initial fee-free 1-year period for the CO Business card is up.
Old Mar 14, 12, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
I'm confused -- your profile says that you're a UA Premier?
Old Mar 14, 12, 1:07 pm

Group 5 is a credit card boarding group.
Old Mar 14, 12, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada and Sacramento, CA, US; UA Explorer Card Holder
Originally Posted by danM View Post
I'm confused -- your profile says that you're a UA Premier?
I used to be. That information is out of date.
Old Mar 14, 12, 1:53 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Few clarifying questions:

1) You intermingle Girlfriend and Companion throughout your post, are they one in the same?

2) On the outbound, what was your routing (including carriers), and was your ticket on the same reservation as your Card-holding GF/Companion?

3) On the return, same two questions (routing with carriers, and same PNR or not)
Old Mar 14, 12, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
The new United: unhappy Premiers, thrilled non-status credit-card holders, and everybody confused...
Old Mar 14, 12, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kwildnj View Post
Few clarifying questions:

1) You intermingle Girlfriend and Companion throughout your post, are they one in the same?

2) On the outbound, what was your routing (including carriers), and was your ticket on the same reservation as your Card-holding GF/Companion?

3) On the return, same two questions (routing with carriers, and same PNR or not)
Clarifications: Yes, just 2 persons traveling; companion/GF are one and the same.

Outbound, this was a one way award booked using my miles; originally booked for SMF-IAD-SJU on UA, but later changed by UA due to broken connection at IAD, so replacement routing was SMF-DEN-PHL on UA and PHL-SJU on US; $10 taxes paid by UA credit card, which, as mentioned, has been canceled. Both persons on same one-way PNR.

Returning, this was a one way award booked using her miles; SJU-IAD-SMF on UA.; $10 taxes paid by me using the same UA credit card; they took the money even though the miles and person making the booking were different than the credit card owner. Different PNR than outbound; both persons on same one-way PNR.
Old Mar 14, 12, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame View Post
I love the new United! My companion and I flew on a one-way award to San Juan, PR on the old UA (and on a US Air segment) and had to pay $50 for 2 checked bags. On the return, a one-way award booked a week later about 11 months ago, we were pleasantly surprised to find that our baggage fees were now $0.00. Moreover, a mysterious heading appeared on our boarding passes stating "Premier Access". We were in boarding group 5, and boarded ahead of most people, ensuring access to bin space on a fully-booked flight.

In checking this out, I determined that the taxes ($10) each way had been charged to my UA Chase card in April 2011, which I no longer have. At the moment, I have only a CO Business card, while my companion holds both UA and CO cards.

It's a bit of a mystery to us why the 2 segments turned out differently, but since we were expecting to pay $50 for the return segment, we are not unhappy. My GF has not had any paid flights on UA in the past 10 years, only award flights.

Can anyone explain this? I do plan to apply for the new UA Explorer card later this year, likely after the initial fee-free 1-year period for the CO Business card is up.
The CO Biz card gives a free bag.
Old Jun 9, 12, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Couldn't find a better thread for this question, so I thought I would ask here:

Booked a ticket for my wife using my miles (1K). Got her in E+ for free. Will she have free bag(s) and Premier Access (security/boarding)?
Old Jun 9, 12, 9:06 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Yes..
Old Jun 9, 12, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Yes..
great, thanks! 3 bags @ 70lbs?
Old Jun 9, 12, 9:11 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Don't remember. I do know that a no-status member with a sponsored upgrade gets three bags at <70 pounds.

Search this Thread