Beware buy up glitch

Old Mar 14, 12, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Beware buy up glitch

I booked my WAS-BAH trip for May yesterday. Bought W fare planning to use SWUs to upgrade. Was successful upgrading outbound, but return flight on waitlist. So I clicked on "buy up to BusinessFirst" and lo and behold, the charge was $335. Too good to be true? Probably. Still, I snatched it in case it was true.

My reservation went from W to M class, but still in Y. 90+ minutes on the phone later, agent was able to refund my money and put me back in W. Tech department blamed it on a "system glitch".

Back on the waitlist.
Old Mar 14, 12, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
they have BF now to BAH? I thought these were 3-class?
Old Mar 14, 12, 2:09 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by navi-c View Post
they have BF now to BAH? I thought these were 3-class?
In a further stroke of genius by UA, all (most) 3-cabin business class flights are now called "Business First"...Even when there is a separate First Class cabin. My 4 future flights to Asia, all in J class, show up as "BusinessFirst", even though they're all PMUA aircraft with 3 classes of service.
Old Mar 14, 12, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jade_BR View Post
I booked my WAS-BAH trip for May yesterday. Bought W fare planning to use SWUs to upgrade. Was successful upgrading outbound, but return flight on waitlist. So I clicked on "buy up to BusinessFirst"
Where is this option? All I can see is "redeem upgrade" which offers a buyup to F (costly on intl itins...) or the option to use upgrades (already done, I waitlisted for C.)
Old Mar 14, 12, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
F on a three class plane is now called Global First
Old Mar 14, 12, 11:10 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
So in other words BAHumbug! On your buyup LOL
Old Mar 14, 12, 11:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec View Post
In a further stroke of genius by UA, all (most) 3-cabin business class flights are now called "Business First"...Even when there is a separate First Class cabin.
Although there's no (immediate) change to the hard product, as part of what you describe above, they've announced that they're upgrading the soft product (most importantly, catering) of the old United Business product up to the CO BF standard of service. I think this is an important improvement, and warrants calling it BF.
Old Mar 14, 12, 11:38 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Although there's no (immediate) change to the hard product, as part of what you describe above, they've announced that they're upgrading the soft product (most importantly, catering) of the old United Business product up to the CO BF standard of service. I think this is an important improvement, and warrants calling it BF.
Someone's been brainwashed.

Search this Thread