FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Beware buy up glitch (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324753-beware-buy-up-glitch.html)

Jade_BR Mar 14, 12 9:51 am

Beware buy up glitch

I booked my WAS-BAH trip for May yesterday. Bought W fare planning to use SWUs to upgrade. Was successful upgrading outbound, but return flight on waitlist. So I clicked on "buy up to BusinessFirst" and lo and behold, the charge was $335. Too good to be true? Probably. Still, I snatched it in case it was true.

My reservation went from W to M class, but still in Y. 90+ minutes on the phone later, agent was able to refund my money and put me back in W. Tech department blamed it on a "system glitch".

Back on the waitlist.

navi-c Mar 14, 12 1:45 pm

they have BF now to BAH? I thought these were 3-class?

MBS MillionMiler Mar 14, 12 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by navi-c (Post 18200438)
they have BF now to BAH? I thought these were 3-class?

In a further stroke of genius by UA, all (most) 3-cabin business class flights are now called "Business First"...Even when there is a separate First Class cabin. My 4 future flights to Asia, all in J class, show up as "BusinessFirst", even though they're all PMUA aircraft with 3 classes of service.

Pat Plus Mar 14, 12 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jade_BR (Post 18198819)
I booked my WAS-BAH trip for May yesterday. Bought W fare planning to use SWUs to upgrade. Was successful upgrading outbound, but return flight on waitlist. So I clicked on "buy up to BusinessFirst"

Where is this option? All I can see is "redeem upgrade" which offers a buyup to F (costly on intl itins...) or the option to use upgrades (already done, I waitlisted for C.)

CDKing Mar 14, 12 9:59 pm

F on a three class plane is now called Global First

JHIN Mar 14, 12 11:10 pm

So in other words BAHumbug! On your buyup LOL :p

Steve M Mar 14, 12 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec (Post 18200615)
In a further stroke of genius by UA, all (most) 3-cabin business class flights are now called "Business First"...Even when there is a separate First Class cabin.

Although there's no (immediate) change to the hard product, as part of what you describe above, they've announced that they're upgrading the soft product (most importantly, catering) of the old United Business product up to the CO BF standard of service. I think this is an important improvement, and warrants calling it BF.

stevenshev Mar 14, 12 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 18203319)
Although there's no (immediate) change to the hard product, as part of what you describe above, they've announced that they're upgrading the soft product (most importantly, catering) of the old United Business product up to the CO BF standard of service. I think this is an important improvement, and warrants calling it BF.

Someone's been brainwashed.