Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible that the merger will mess up Global Services selection

Old Mar 14, 12, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, Omni: Black: Hyatt: Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold

The reason I wonder is that last year i did about 70K solely in international C and F, but across United and Continental.

This year I will be doing about 120K the same way on United (plus economy on partners) , but since no miles have been posting for the last two weeks (I have been told to call back on the 16th if they have not posted by then), I feel I may get passed over and lost in the process. The genuine reason why I want GS is for dedicated phone lines with fast access and no Indian call centers.

I understand there are no guarantees, but I am placing bets. I live in the UK but will likely one day move back to the US and would be nice to be a multi-million miler with permanent benefits. But if GS is not likely this year, i would rather give my future business to BA (where Gold really is something) or LH (where I should be able to hit HON and have limo service to and from planes and international first lounge access) and just use American/United on my US connections.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 14, 12, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I am quite certain that miles that are being delayed posting to the website are not in fact being lost, just not being displayed on a front-end interface. I've seen nothing to indicate otherwise.
Old Mar 14, 12, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/3mm+, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by crosspondmaven View Post
The reason I wonder is that last year i did about 70K solely in international C and F, but across United and Continental.

This year I will be doing about 120K the same way on United (plus economy on partners) , but since no miles have been posting for the last two weeks (I have been told to call back on the 16th if they have not posted by then), I feel I may get passed over and lost in the process. The genuine reason why I want GS is for dedicated phone lines with fast access and no Indian call centers.

I understand there are no guarantees, but I am placing bets. I live in the UK but will likely one day move back to the US and would be nice to be a multi-million miler with permanent benefits. But if GS is not likely this year, i would rather give my future business to BA (where Gold really is something) or LH (where I should be able to hit HON and have limo service to and from planes and international first lounge access) and just use American/United on my US connections.

Any thoughts?
Even if you made GS, you wouldn't get the kind of treatment from UA that BA and LH bestow on their best customers...

With LH, the F terminal in FRA alone is a huge perk with the limo service to and from planes...and their new J and F products are worlds better than UAs.

With BA, I imagine you'd have the best network to work with from the UK. And their J and F products are worlds better than UAs.

I can't see why you'd want to go for playing roulette for GS rather than locking in HON or BA Gold predictably...
Old Mar 14, 12, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, Omni: Black: Hyatt: Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Only reason for the lottery is because I think I will move back to NYC at some point and it would be good to reach 1MM status for permanent Star Gold Status....but now on second thought - I am already 50K over so maybe I will switch over to BA so at least I can be top tier on OW too.

Search this Thread