How to build EQS?

Old Mar 14, 12, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
How to build EQS?

I started consulting in January which means full time on the road. I had no status in any program at the beginning of the year. Managed to get a Platinum Marriott challenge which is good but I'm dying on the airline side of things. All I really want at this point is to get on the plane first so I can get an overhead bin and don't have to wait for luggage (I fly to my clients on Monday morning so it's important for me to get there quickly). A bump to E+ once in a while would be nice too.

I live near Chicago and United always seems to have the cheapest fares. My first client was in SF -- great, I'll be elite in no time, right? Only two weeks there. Boo... Next client is in DC. 587 miles each way. Which means I have to fly 15 weeks just to make Silver. Ugh. I figured on my flights home on Thursday night I can hop to CLE or EWR or something like that so I can increase my EQS quicker. I have to book through my company's travel site (Carlson Wagonlit) and it doesn't seem possible to do this. What am I doing wrong?

Oh, and I did get the Mileage Plus Explorer card to board early. That worked until the merger. Now I'm in the last boarding group, but it's funny that it says "Premier Access" on my BP...
Old Mar 14, 12, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by TimF1975 View Post
I live near Chicago and United always seems to have the cheapest fares. My first client was in SF -- great, I'll be elite in no time, right? Only two weeks there. Boo... Next client is in DC. 587 miles each way. Which means I have to fly 15 weeks just to make Silver. Ugh. I figured on my flights home on Thursday night I can hop to CLE or EWR or something like that so I can increase my EQS quicker.
It's quite possible that UA's fare rules on the cheapest fares (which you may be obligated to buy, per company policy) do not permit stops.
Old Mar 14, 12, 9:20 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK View Post
It's quite possible that UA's fare rules on the cheapest fares (which you may be obligated to buy, per company policy) do not permit (extra) stops.
Red is my added.

Oh how true. Adding even a single segment above the now "allowed" max of six domestic segments will in just about every case significantly up your trip cost.

UA's changing its routing rules in mid-2010, together with the now increased requirement for 120 segments, required that I requalify for 1K during 2011 by miles, after 15 straight years of doing it by segments.
Old Mar 14, 12, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Ugh. So even if I fly to the Northeast 52 straight weeks, there is no way to hit 1k. But if I fly to CA, I'll hit 1k in half a year. Funny how my ticket costs going ORD->SFO are usually about the same as ORD->IAD.
Old Mar 14, 12, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by TimF1975 View Post
Ugh. So even if I fly to the Northeast 52 straight weeks, there is no way to hit 1k. But if I fly to CA, I'll hit 1k in half a year. Funny how my ticket costs going ORD->SFO are usually about the same as ORD->IAD.
Yeah, Chicago is probably the worst location to get status. I am based on the West Coast and work on the East, so I can hit it really quickly. But Chicago you are almost guaranteed short flights being so close to the East and South.

If you have status with any other airline, you could take advantage of UA's challenge/status match here. (Can't find it on UA's website, but I am sure it is somewhere.)
Old Mar 14, 12, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Also being midwest based it takes a LONG time to build up miles if you don't fly internationally. My travels are WI-PWM, or RDU, and from time to time LAX (last two years I hit status on segments only 98.5!).

Your best bet is to hit status on segments. If your company allows for it, and you're on the north side of chicago, flying out of MKE will add two segments on each trip, at probably no cost to the company (MKE flights tend to be cheaper than ORD).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: