Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 16, 19, 9:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
MCT for EWR (2012)

https://www.newarkairport.com/at-airport/connecting-flights

United Airlines operates a shuttle bus between Terminals A and C from 5:00am to 10:00pm. In addition, United also operates a shuttle bus connecting Terminal B to Terminals A and C from 10:00am to 10:00pm. The shuttle bus is available at gate A28, B67, and C70 as illustrated in the image above. This service is free and you will not have to go through TSA security again. Please note this shuttle is operated at the sole responsibility of United Airlines and is subject to modification at their discretion.

Archive: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 9, 19, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mindgame View Post
Hi

I’m looking at an international -> domestic connection at EWR arriving from Asia in the evening (5-7pm) and several domestic connection times — one at 2.5hrs and one at 4hrs. If I am traveling business on United, with GlobalEntry and no checked bags would 2.5hrs be enough time to go through immigration customs and back through security and if so, enough time to go to United Polaris lounge to order a la carte? or would the 2.5hrs be just enough time to get through everything and arrive at the gate for the connection but not much more? I’m assuming even though everything is United that I will need to go through TSA again?
Given you are not arriving into EWR until early evening, I would pick a connection time of 2.5 hours.

With GE and no checked luggage, you should be land side within 10 minutes or less after deplaning (my fastest time from off the plane to fresh air was 4 minutes 45 seconds). Even accounting for terminal change from B to C, you should be at PL within 30 minutes or less, which would still give you a solid 1.5 hours before having to board your connection flight.

Why not 4 hours? Is that the last flight of the day? What if it gets cancelled or delayed? PL is pretty good, but there would be an actual bed waiting for you at your destination, and you would be arriving at relative reasonable time; whereas the 4 hours connection, you are unlikely to arrive at your final destination until after midnight.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
Getting runaround from United Personnel....

Flying Economy DFW-EWR on United......connecting to EWR-YQB on Express Jet dba United Express.

Arrive EWR 12/24 @ 10:27 am.......Depart EWR to YQB @ 2:00 pm.

Reservation notes a terminal change. I have attempted several times to get clear info regarding the ‘alledged’ shuttle bus that runs to connecting terminals behind security.

I have gotten responses ie: ‘ we don’t have terminal information yet ...won’t know until that day’.....this was not my question.

‘When you get off your first flight just show ‘them’ (who they later said was Security)....’show them your boarding pass and they’ll let you go through to next terminal....HUH?????

Finally got a ‘supervisor’ who said ‘ there is a shuttle bus that goes behind security (which I already knew about but was wanting to know how to access)....she then says ‘sometimes it runs and sometimes it doesn’t!!! You’ll just have to wait and see’.

I’ve flown to EWR.....when I booked this flight on the UA app...there was nothing in the details about needing to change terminals. It was only when I went to United.com and looked up the flight did it alert you to terminal change. That’s when I searched for connecting to another terminal and learned about the shuttle bus bu not how to access it.

So since United agents have not been any help .....I’m hoping someone here can shed some light on how you access the post-security shuttle bus to the other terminals. At this point I am praying that my flights come and depart out of the same terminal.

Can someone provide accurate information please? It would be most welcome.

Thank you.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by nalismom View Post
Flying Economy DFW-EWR on United......connecting to EWR-YQB on Express Jet dba United Express.

Reservation notes a terminal change. I have attempted several times to get clear info regarding the ‘alledged’ shuttle bus that runs to connecting terminals behind security.

I have gotten responses ie: ‘ we don’t have terminal information yet ...won’t know until that day’.....this was not my question.

‘When you get off your first flight just show ‘them’ (who they later said was Security)....’show them your boarding pass and they’ll let you go through to next terminal....HUH?????

Finally got a ‘supervisor’ who said ‘ there is a shuttle bus that goes behind security (which I already knew about but was wanting to know how to access)....she then says ‘sometimes it runs and sometimes it doesn’t!!! You’ll just have to wait and see’.

I’ve flown to EWR.....when I booked this flight on the UA app...there was nothing in the details about needing to change terminals. It was only when I went to United.com and looked up the flight did it alert you to terminal change. That’s when I searched for connecting to another terminal and learned about the shuttle bus bu not how to access it.

So since United agents have not been any help .....I’m hoping someone here can shed some light on how you access the post-security shuttle bus to the other terminals. At this point I am praying that my flights come and depart out of the same terminal.

Thank you.
It's very simple. Just go to Gate C71 to board the shuttle bus to Terminal A. It runs every few minutes (and it WILL be running).
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:36 pm

JimInOhio.......YOU ARE AN ANGEL!!!!! Is it correct to assume the/a shuttle would operate out of Term A or Term B as well.

For the life of me I do not understand why United Agents could not give me that information.....I called both Reservations and Mileage Plus.....extremely frustrating.

Thank You Again Jim
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:42 pm

JimInOhio.......YOU ARE AN ANGEL!!!!! Is it correct to assume the/a shuttle would operate out of Term A or Term B as well.

For the life of me I do not understand why United Agents could not give me that information.....I called both Reservations and Mileage Plus.....extremely frustrating.

Thank You Again Jim
You are most welcome! I've never boarded the shuttle at Terminal B but it does stop there. By small chance you arrive at Terminal B, the agent at your arrival gate will direct you if it's not clear. Happy travels!

Here's a map:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../maps/ewr.html

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if UA even uses Terminal B for domestic arrivals (only INTL). Others will know.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Thank you.
You may not have to change terminals at all. Some Express Flights operate out of Term C, which is where your mainline United flight will land.

If you do need to change terminals, the bus is very easy. As JimInOhio noted, it departs from the gate 71 area of Terminal C.
It may make a brief stop at Terminal B, if someone happens to be connecting to some Star Alliance flight that leave there, but just stay on the bus until it gets to Terminal A.

Note that Terminal A is pretty small with limited service. If you have access to United Club, or want to grab a day pass off Ebay or something, it would be worth it for the 3 hours or so you are connecting.
Old Oct 31, 19, 7:11 am

Thank you Jim and GoodEats21!

Yes, I do believe Terminal B is International. For the life of me....I don’t understand why the UA phone agents are so uneducated about the hubs UA serves....it should not be that hard.

thank you both again!
Old Oct 31, 19, 7:32 am

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Thank you Jim and GoodEats21!

Yes, I do believe Terminal B is International. For the life of me....I don’t understand why the UA phone agents are so uneducated about the hubs UA serves....it should not be that hard.

thank you both again!
Oh come on, your flight to Canada could depart from C or A. No one has the info until hours prior to departure, even then could change on a dime. It would be based on gate availability. You may also get a remote (bus) gate at Terminal C.

The airside bus goes from C to B (INTL concourse only) to A (UA concourse only). On the return trip from A, it does not stop at B. So, C to B to A back to C.
Old Nov 1, 19, 5:34 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR

Thank You Again Jim
You're expecting someone at a centralized call center to know the ins and outs of a single particular airport?

Also, for further information, at the top of this thread is a wiki that when expanded, would have answered your question and will provide you with the relevant information on the operating hours of the shuttle as well.
Old Nov 1, 19, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Oh come on, your flight to Canada could depart from C or A. No one has the info until hours prior to departure, even then could change on a dime. It would be based on gate availability. You may also get a remote (bus) gate at Terminal C.

The airside bus goes from C to B (INTL concourse only) to A (UA concourse only). On the return trip from A, it does not stop at B. So, C to B to A back to C.
If you really read my post...I said I was not asking for the exact terminal my flights would come in and out of but rather confirmation that an airside bus exists and how/where I would access it to get to where I needed to go without exiting the terminal...your first reply paragraph is of no help and I am not an inexperienced flyer!

Diburning: yes....I do expect them to have knowledge of their hubs.

Last edited by nalismom; Nov 1, 19 at 6:56 pm
Old Nov 1, 19, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Diburning: yes....I do expect them to have knowledge of their hubs.
You mentioned calling "Reservations" and "MileagePlus." That is, one group of people whose job is to sell tickets, and another whose job is to manage the reward program. While it might be nice if the agents understood what they were selling a little better than they do, ultimately you were asking for something way outside of their job responsibility.. for a transfer that, if things are on time, gives you three and a half hours. You could change airports in New York City in 3 1/2 hours (not that I'd recommend it). A terminal change, even if it involved re-clearing security, is child's play by comparison.
diburning likes this.
Old Nov 15, 19, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
So my aunt is booked to fly YQB-EWR-BRU-ABJ, with a 1:11 connection in EWR. Is there any chance of her making this connection? If not, what's her best strategy for changing the flight?
Old Nov 15, 19, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Twickenham View Post
So my aunt is booked to fly YQB-EWR-BRU-ABJ, with a 1:11 connection in EWR. Is there any chance of her making this connection? If not, what's her best strategy for changing the flight?
Yes, there's a chance she'll make the connection. It's within the minimum connection time. However, a delay on the flight from YQB will likely cause her to misconnect, especially since she'll probably have to go from Terminal A to C. Delays in the late afternoon at EWR in winter are common.

If there's a weather waiver in effect for her date of travel, she'll be able to change to an earlier flight from YQB at no cost. Otherwise, you'll likely have to pay a change fee to switch flights. If the plane is delayed leaving YQB to the extent that the connection becomes impossible, the agents in YQB may consider rerouting her on AC via YUL if there are seats.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Nov 15, 19 at 7:47 pm Reason: YQB does not have preclearance
Old Nov 15, 19, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain View Post
Yes, there's a chance she'll make the connection. It's within the minimum connection time.
Well, yes; the minimum connection time is one hour, ten minutes. It’s one minute more than that.

Keep in mind, there’s no preclearance at YQB. OP’s aunt will need to go through customs and immigration at EWR, and then go through security again, possibly after a terminal transfer.

This is a very risky connection at best.
Old Nov 15, 19, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Well, yes; the minimum connection time is one hour, ten minutes. It’s one minute more than that.

Keep in mind, there’s no preclearance at YQB. OP’s aunt will need to go through customs and immigration at EWR, and then go through security again, possibly after a terminal transfer.

This is a very risky connection at best.
Almost certain YQB-EWR will be at Terminal B - that's where my flight came in when I did the route. I don't think UA can afford to blow one of the gates in C3 on a UAX plane. Unless OP's aunt has PreCheck / Global Entry, this is dicey to do, even assuming there are no weather issues...this will be at peak afternoon travel time, so security lines will likely be long at EWR.

Search this Thread