Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ps Y post-merger: only E+ eligible pax can get seat-assignments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Apologies if this has been stated previously -

Prior to the merger, anyone buying a Y ticket could obtain a seat assignment on ps flights. Now it seems that only E+ eligible pax can, as the website does not allow me to choose open seats on the seat map for an upcoming itinerary (May).

This makes no sense, as there are no non-E+ seats on ps birds. Anyone else noticing this? I hesitate to buy any itinerary including ps flights now -- I don't want to take my chances trying to find seats together at check-in.

Is this a glitch? It's not like UA needs to hold E+, since there is no other option on these flights.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I can't imagine that this is anything but anther glitch. I just tried to buy a p.s. ticket as a nobody (not signed in) and I can select any seat in E+ that I wish.

Perhaps the flight you chose is particularly full? Airlines do prevent some customers from choosing seat assignments when more than a certain percentage f seats are sold.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
They should really turn row 15 into an ELR row, just to hold something for elites, even though the legroom isn't that amazing or anything
Old Mar 14, 2012, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A friend of mine emailed me a seat map this morning and similarly couldn't select a seat. Definitely a bug, but also definitely really happening.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:00 am
Original Poster

It must be a glitch. When I'm logged in (2P) I can't secure the seats, but when I'm a nobody (not logged in), no problem selecting the seats. Hope they fix this soon...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Was UA able to help you on the phone?

Last edited by Often1; Mar 14, 2012 at 12:03 pm
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I tried t buy a ticket and was able to select seats. My test date was July 24. How full are the flights people are having problems with? As I noted above, airlines often restrict seat assignments when more than a certain percentage of seats have been assigned.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. My dates are 25-30 May, and the flights look pretty open in Y. I think I'll just buy the tickets without logging in (Interesting how, using this as an example, GM now trumps 2P !) . I have not called UA, as I haven't had the time to wait on hold.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: Not care as much as before...
this can't be true

sear assignment is so standard across the industry
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ssoonngg123
this can't be true

sear assignment is so standard across the industry
did you read the posts above? This appears to happen occasionally, and is just a glitch. It's not another "change you won't like", don't worry
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A temp work around would be to buy the ticket as a nobody, select your seats, note the locator number then after the transaction is complete login in, search for the reservation by locator number and add your FF number.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
A temp work around would be to buy the ticket as a nobody, select your seats, note the locator number then after the transaction is complete login in, search for the reservation by locator number and add your FF number.
The issue is appearing for people who aren't eligible for E+ (i.e. people with no status or Silver) so I don't see that this would help.

FWIW I tried a booking just now while logged out and could successfully pick seats.

Edit: Apologies, only noticed in the OP's second post that he/she is Silver.

Last edited by star_world; Mar 14, 2012 at 11:27 am
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
Yes, this is exactly what I will do. As stated above, when I was logged in as 2P, I could not select seats, yet when I attempted to purchase the tickets on the same flights as a 'nobody' the system would allow it.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried a new booking (didn't select purchase) as a logged in Premier Silver and was able to assign E+ seats. Are you selecting it after purchasing the ticket or during?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If it's any consolation, the reconfigured p.s. 757 will feature both E+ and E- (when the cabin goes from 12/26/72 to 26/114). As a 2P you will be able to enjoy a seat assignment in E- or, 24 hours prior to departure, in E+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.