Positive Post-Integration Experience with UA...

Old Mar 13, 12, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services and 2.9MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Platinum Ambassador, Hertz PC
Positive Post-Integration Experience with UA...

There has been alot of negative posts... And I have had a few negative experiences myself from beginning of 1/1/12 to present. However, I just wanted to share a positive experience I had tonight... Called GS desk. Only waited ~ 20 seconds for agent to answer. Discussed typicaly "why are upgrades not clearing t-120?". Put me on hold for 1 minute and then said, "you are now upgraded sir." Nice! Then I asked if he could connect me immediately with MP desk to resolve mileage posting issues from February. Got a Supervisor on the line within a few minutes and he worked with me patiently for 1 hour+ reviewing my account from beginning of 2012 to present to prove I am missing Lifetime (MM) mileage. He acknowledged the issue and assured me he will be escalating to a special department that handles these type of issues. Even gave me his name and UA email to follow up. I have to say, it is a step in the right direction and fully appreciated his patience and understanding in helping resolve the issue.
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KevinPK1 View Post
Discussed typicaly "why are upgrades not clearing t-120?". Put me on hold for 1 minute and then said, "you are now upgraded sir." Nice!
Must be nice to be a GS.

Haven't our PMCO experts around here assured us that UG's can only happen during the sweeps, not between them? I guess GS's are exempt from that policy.....
Old Mar 13, 12, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
Reading this forum, and seeing some of the more petty policy changes shift towards pmCO (e.g. meal taking order, boarding process, etc) has really made me want to hate the "new" airline, but in reality, I've gotten consistently excellent treatment that I have grown accustomed to.

All my miles and RPU/GPU migrated properly. And since 3/3 I am 4 for 4 on CPUs all on cheap-o fares, all coming at the 96 hr 1K window, and the fourth one was at booking at T-6hrs due to IRROPS (spent <10 min on phone including <30 sec on hold).

I've also had a waitlisted ps flight clear (CR1 applied prior to integration, cleared post 3/3).

Finally, I've also booked a ticket post 3/3 that ticketed in about 5 min... yeah, not the same as pmUA "instant" ticketing, but I can live with 5 min ticketing...

Knocking on every piece of wood I can find, but so far so good....
Old Mar 14, 12, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Yes, while there are many changes I don't like, as a 1K my calls are still being promptly answered by friendly and helpful people who try their best to make things easy for me. So far I've had good luck on upgrades and last-minute award travel to popular places. While the web site looks and feels like the programmer's functional proof-of-concept before the designers have gotten involved, it does have a number of beneficial bugs and quirks that I like as I'm becoming more proficient.

On the whole, there's enough good stuff with this new airline that I'm willing to be patient and see how things develop. Of course I'll still complain about things that are just plain wrong in the hope that we can keep management from slipping back into the complacency that must have been the norm in pre-merger days.
Old Mar 14, 12, 2:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Marriott Prem Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
Must be nice to be a GS.

Haven't our PMCO experts around here assured us that UG's can only happen during the sweeps, not between them? I guess GS's are exempt from that policy.....
GS has always had the ability in certain circumstance to push through an upgrade when no upgrade space existed.
Old Mar 14, 12, 2:16 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Flew DCA-EWR-FLL yesterday.

Asked for a SDC at the ticket counter. They were happy to oblige and in the middle of their efforts I got a call; needed to stick with original itin. Took some effort on their part but they got me back on my flight and--more importantly--snagged my upgrade back (same seat).

DCA-EWR delayed by an hour on tarmac, meaning I would miss connection. Yeah, it took 35 mins to get a rep on the Premier line (what else did I have going on sitting on an RJ?), but she got me booked on another flight and confirmed in F. CS agent at EWR got me the seat assignment I wanted for EWR-FLL in two seconds. Ironically, I ended up on the same flight to which I tried to SDC.

All in all a positive experience for me despite the hold time. I felt I got great service as a Gold flyer. And my CPU ratio is about 86% so far this year. YMMV. For now I'll stay optimistic that this is a sign of things to come.
Old Mar 14, 12, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
Haven't our PMCO experts around here assured us that UG's can only happen during the sweeps, not between them? I
No, they've just explained that the system now only auto-processes upgrades during discrete "sweeps", in theory at 24-hour intervals, vs. PMUAs upgrade-on-the-fly as inventory became available system.

I didn't see anyone claim that manual override was not possible... as indeed it is. And, yeah, PMUA GS were also able to get upgrades pushed through manually, even without upgrade inventory, close in to departure if enough seats were left in the cabin.
Old Mar 14, 12, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services and 2.9MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Platinum Ambassador, Hertz PC
Well I guess another negative offsets this positive. Flights on 3/9/12 finally posted. They were coach fare with SWU for both. Posted as 'Z' fare and 150% mileage. No PQM's posted, and Lifetime posting was 1 out of 2 segments and did not equal either segment flight mileage. I suspect the system is busted in such a way that any flight where one gets upgraded (complimentary or SWU/RWU) will post completely wrong. I am going to PM UA Insider as this is a serious defect. UA seems to think it is just me since this is the first they have seen it? I guess I am special
Old Mar 15, 12, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Ex Plat, WN A List, Hertz Gold Five Star, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
While all this cavetching is entertaining....

...sort of, I want to stray from the pack and share my experiences since 3/3/12.

First, my two accounts merged perfectly - life time miles were correct, all itineraries moved, seat assignments intact, I flew on 3/4 to LA, flight was on time, flight back on 3/7 upgrade cleared 3 days out. Outbound flight posted in 24 hours, return flight I had to email to get credit after 5 days, flight posted the following day. Took a trip last weekend on miles, both flights on time, sampled PS F from JFK to SFO, JFK staff terrific, crew was great, food good, wine excellent. So far, so good, next trip is Monday down and back to LA, already upgraded on the return flight.

I have observed the PMUA employees struggling with the new system - being a career HR person, from my perspective it seems to be a mix of them being trained in a hurry, with little time for them to practice, combined with a little resistance (well, maybe more than a little...) to change by the PMUA airport and res staff. I'm not an IT guy, and can't say if one system was technically superior to the other, however from a customer user perspective I found the PMCO system/website adequate, and actually like that it ended up the surviving system. Every UA employee I've encountered since 3/3 has been good humored about the changes, and genuinely interested in supporting the customers.

Just about every airline's frequent flyer program has reduced the number of benefits/raised the mileage reward levels in the past 10 years. And yes, everything is for sale, and upsells are everywhere, jet fuel is $3.30/gallon, and these are for profit organizations, they need to find ways to drive revenue to stay viable. The airline business models we all used to love 10 years ago are not economically feasible today, however inspite of that I think we all still get some decent perks.

I believe the hassle stories I've read, and perhaps I'm living in a fool's paradise, but so far, so good in terms of my experiences.

The Flyertalk UA MileagePlus forum has become darkly negative since 3/3. It's getting to the point where it isn't enjoyable to read. I remember the days on the old CO forum when people planned Do's, we had weekend events at the airport, etc. I hope that camaraderie comes back eventually.

Search this Thread