Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

why does UA continue to fly those abysmal 763s to South America?

why does UA continue to fly those abysmal 763s to South America?

Old Mar 13, 12, 7:27 pm
  #1  
PPM
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 186
why does UA continue to fly those abysmal 763s to South America?

Is there any information about why United continues to fly these abysmal 777s to South America? I had prepared my husband today for his flight (using my SWUs) to Lima, Peru from Houston. I told him it was referred to as the Ghetto Bird on Flyertalk. He got on the plane and emailed to say that the terminology was overly generous. With LAN offering flat-bed seats, why does UA fly these outrageously old aircraft? The first class section does not even have footrests!! Any insight on United's plans here? I fly frequently to Lima, and am considering my next flight on LAN.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 14, 12 at 6:32 am Reason: vague thread title
PPM is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:46 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,270
The term ghetto bird around here is reserved for the PMUA 767 2 class airplane.

There are many threads on the 777 conversions, perhaps you could search.
worldtrav is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:49 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 697
Originally Posted by worldtrav View Post
The term ghetto bird around here is reserved for the PMUA 767 2 class airplane.

There are many threads on the 777 conversions, perhaps you could search.
Yes but the IAH-LIM is on the ghetto bird. It is a 767 domestic config. So correct term, wrong plane type in the OP.
PHLyer82 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:53 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 40,108
Originally Posted by PHLyer82 View Post
Yes but the IAH-LIM is on the ghetto bird. It is a 767 domestic config. So correct term, wrong plane type in the OP.
And it is going to be refitted with proper lie flat seats in front, and with AVOD in back, IIRC. Of course, if they retain the existing overhead storage, it will still have that quaint ghetto bird allure we all know and love.
halls120 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:57 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW
Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Posts: 23,142
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Is there any information about why United continues to fly these abysmal 777s to South America? I had prepared my husband today for his flight (using my SWUs) to Lima, Peru from Houston. I told him it was referred to as the Ghetto Bird on Flyertalk. He got on the plane and emailed to say that the terminology was overly generous. With LAN offering flat-bed seats, why does UA fly these outrageously old aircraft? The first class section does not even have footrests!! Any insight on United's plans here? I fly frequently to Lima, and am considering my next flight on LAN.
the 767 on IAH-LIM is on a ghetto bird. But have no fear, they are slated for conversion to the new BF lie-flat seats. When this will happen I don't know. UA I think will finish the 764s and then move on to the 763s.
colpuck is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:08 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: UA GS 1.9MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Posts: 543
Back in the day that route was flown by the pmCO 752's with BusinessFirst seats, then switched to a 738, then to the beloved Ghetto Bird. The rumor indeed is that they will begin the retrofit of the 763s right after the 764s, if not sooner. I noticed that with some new international routes announced, they are advertising the route will be a 763 with three classes of service to begin with, then in late Summer this year switching to a 763 with two classes of service with the new BF flat seats - seeing as there's technically more than one Ghetto Bird, sounds like its days are very numbered.
greenpau is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:11 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,156
Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
the 767 on IAH-LIM is on a ghetto bird. But have no fear, they are slated for conversion to the new BF lie-flat seats. When this will happen I don't know. UA I think will finish the 764s and then move on to the 763s.
My understanding is that the first of the 763s is in HKG for fitting right now.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:13 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 5,134
Originally Posted by PHLyer82 View Post
Yes but the IAH-LIM is on the ghetto bird. It is a 767 domestic config. So correct term, wrong plane type in the OP.
You want ghetto bird try DL old smelly 767's to CDG/NRT Then come back and see me !!
edgewood49 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:34 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 11,122
Isn't all the money on these flights below-deck (asparagus or something)?
mduell is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:39 pm
  #10  
Used to be MJ-bos
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: San Diego, California USA
Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
You want ghetto bird try DL old smelly 767's to CDG/NRT Then come back and see me !!
C'mon... the Lockheed L1011 was the original ghetto in the air...
MoJ0 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:44 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 22,520
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
My understanding is that the first of the 763s is in HKG for fitting right now.
any idea of how many seats up front will remain? I know my days of clearing Biz on the ps flights are numbered as they drop 12 seats, chances for being in the front cabin will greatly diminish as its not hard for CO to fill the flights with those on Corp rates, disc tkts and GSs. thats why I wish they left ps as is its alot better with the lousy personal IFE then sitting in the back

Now if they would still keep teh same amount of non Y seats taht would be something else, so I assume the 763 will end up with less seats as well = Id rather be in FC domestic seat then Y
craz is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:59 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 40,108
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
My understanding is that the first of the 763s is in HKG for fitting right now.
will the conversion include proper overhead bins?
halls120 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:10 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: UA AS DL SPG Hyatt HHonors
Posts: 1,566
Originally Posted by craz View Post
any idea of how many seats up front will remain? I know my days of clearing Biz on the ps flights are numbered as they drop 12 seats, chances for being in the front cabin will greatly diminish as its not hard for CO to fill the flights with those on Corp rates, disc tkts and GSs. thats why I wish they left ps as is its alot better with the lousy personal IFE then sitting in the back

Now if they would still keep teh same amount of non Y seats taht would be something else, so I assume the 763 will end up with less seats as well = Id rather be in FC domestic seat then Y
The ps aircraft are to be fitted with 28 lie-flat C seats. That's still less premium seats that today, and there will be a lot more Y seats, so upgrades will be tougher, but it won't be only 12 seats. Even CO's 752's used for transatlantic ops have 16 F seats aft of door 2L, and I believe they will use the same seating on the reconfigured ps birds.

No idea how many BF seats will go into the 2-class 763s but there's no reason to believe it will be much less than in today's 3-class 763s.
seacarl is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 12:17 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Posts: 5,486
Originally Posted by seacarl View Post
seats that today, and there will be a lot more Y seats, so upgrades will be tougher, but it won't be only 12 seats. Even CO's 752's used for transatlantic ops have 16 F seats aft of door 2L,
AFT?

All 16 J seats on ex-CO's 752s are in front of 2L.
ralfp is offline  
Old Mar 14, 12, 12:46 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EWR, BDL
Posts: 4,466
Originally Posted by greenpau View Post
Back in the day that route was flown by the pmCO 752's with BusinessFirst seats, then switched to a 738, then to the beloved Ghetto Bird. The rumor indeed is that they will begin the retrofit of the 763s right after the 764s, if not sooner. I noticed that with some new international routes announced, they are advertising the route will be a 763 with three classes of service to begin with, then in late Summer this year switching to a 763 with two classes of service with the new BF flat seats - seeing as there's technically more than one Ghetto Bird, sounds like its days are very numbered.
IAH-LIM has never been operated by the 738. Its been either the 752 or the 753, and then shortly after the merger announced, the route is currently being flown with the ghetto 763.
JOSECONLSCREW28 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread