Sponsored Upgrade - Waitlisted on CR1?

Old Mar 13, 12, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Sponsored Upgrade - Waitlisted on CR1?

Hi,

So I used two of my girlfriend's (she is 1K) RPUs to upgrade my round trip booked on fare M. I have no status with United (general member). My flight are 2 and 5 days from now, respectively.

I was expecting the upgrade to clear immediately, but I'm waitlisted! What gives?

Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott LT Gold
Get used to it -- and welcome to the New UA. I had the same thing happen to me both ways on a recent midcon trip

Smisek has a bunch of Upgrades for Cash to sell before they'll even think about releasing an R seat

It's great that upgrades using instruments are now ahead of CPUs, but it is a serious in my book that RPU/GPU upgrades don't come out of the same generously-filled IM bucket as UFC/TODs, and instead come out of the stingy, dry well that seems to be the R bucket
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. I was confused because when we were upgrading, it was marked as "Premier 1K Instant Upgrade Fare". I thought it would clear at time of ticketing.

It says here:

https://pss.united.com/web/en-US/con.../upgrades.aspx

that "Additionally, Premier members traveling on full-fare economy Y- and B-class fares may be eligible for instant upgrades as early as time of ticketing. Premier 1K members are also eligible for instant upgrades when purchasing M-class fares."

How are R seats released? Not looking forward to a transcon in a middle seat by the lavs.
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Doubt your GF's status is conferred to you for the purposes of instant upgrades ..

R availability seems to be pretty random/crappy these days. YMMV.
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:43 pm

What that means is that if you were elite you would not need to use the RPUs

But since you are not elite, you do need to.... And RPUs clear out of a different (and much stingier bucket) than that used for the Elite B/M upgrades (which, you should note, are not guaranteed -- hence the "...may be eligible for instant upgrades as early as time of ticketing...")

As for when R seats are released -- well, that differs by market, day of week, aircraft type, etc... But suffice to say that the new UA will hold off on giving R seats away to even its loyal customers until it tries to sell Upgrades For Cash

Good luck!
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Awesome, thanks.

What happens to the RPU if my upgrade doesn't clear? Does my gf get it back, or is it gone forever? What if I do a TOD upgrade at checkin, would she get it back?
Old Mar 26, 12, 6:39 pm

Just curious: Did the u/gs end up clearing?

Search this Thread