E-Certificate and flight change?

Old Mar 13, 12, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier
E-Certificate and flight change?

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I couldn't find a definite answer. I hope someone can point me to the right direction.

I just booked a flight in Y for YYZ-PEK earlier this morning using a 20% off E-certificate I got last time for a 4hr delay.

Now, due to some circumstances, I need to cancel it because of some last minute change (I'm still within the 24hr window)

My question is, if I cancel my ticket, will the e-certificate still be valid or is it gone?

I tried calling United, but hangup after 25min waiting. And I couldn't find anything helpful on United's site.

Any comment would be appreciated.
Old Mar 13, 12, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, AS MVP, SPG Plat, Carlson Gold
I know this really isn't a definitive answer, but at least prior to 3/3 on .bomb/PMUA, you lost the value of your eCert after you used it, even within the 24 hour window in my experience...however, I would sometimes find a Web Support agent who was willing and able to reapply it to a new flight within the 24 hour window with no penalty and retaining value. That said...it was a YMMV situation.

I know PMCO's eCerts held residual value and if you canceled you got that value back. Since they've used the PMCO system...does anyone know if the PMUA eCerts carry residual value and/or retain value if refunded.
Old Mar 13, 12, 6:41 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AndrewT84 View Post
I know this really isn't a definitive answer, but at least prior to 3/3 on .bomb/PMUA, you lost the value of your eCert after you used it, even within the 24 hour window in my experience...however, I would sometimes find a Web Support agent who was willing and able to reapply it to a new flight within the 24 hour window with no penalty and retaining value. That said...it was a YMMV situation.

I know PMCO's eCerts held residual value and if you canceled you got that value back. Since they've used the PMCO system...does anyone know if the PMUA eCerts carry residual value and/or retain value if refunded.
I tried post 3/3 to reinstate my ecert and was told by ecerts have a one time use and they cannot reissue or reinstate the original cert. But as you said YMMV depending on the agent. I know I have read some posters here having success in having exceptions made when they got the right agent on the line who was willing to.
Old Mar 13, 12, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
All of the pre-merger UA ecerts (that I know of) have that in the terms - one time use. As others have mentioned, you might find an agent willing to re-apply it, however, any agent doing this is doing you a favor.
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier
Thanks for all the replies.

I don't really have to cancel. I just need the return trip adjusted to a different date and class (Y-->C).

I guess I will start my quest of longest hold ever with airline CSR.
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Top Tier, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JayEX35 View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I don't really have to cancel. I just need the return trip adjusted to a different date and class (Y-->C).

I guess I will start my quest of longest hold ever with airline CSR.
If it's just a change, you'll be fine.
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
All of the pre-merger UA ecerts (that I know of) have that in the terms - one time use. As others have mentioned, you might find an agent willing to re-apply it, however, any agent doing this is doing you a favor.
as a 1K Ive had success Pre 3/3 when having to CX a res that Web support ended up saying once used its gone but then went ahead and found another cert and sent me that # to use on my next tkt. a YMMV issue and if not a 1K or GS youd probably not meet with much success, btw so far Ive been told its a 1 time exception 3 times

Search this Thread