Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did United move to CO SHARES?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:57 am

Why Did United switch to an old computer system?

I heard that the old United system was GUI (Windows) based and now the new United (Old Continental) system is all text based? If that is true, that is ridiculous. It takes all gate and phone agents so much longer to do anything now.

Was this nepotism at his worst, so SMI/J could appease his old colleagues in Houston?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 20, 2012 at 7:34 am Reason: no need to start a new thread when there is an existing one; thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
1. Cost
2. Cost
3. Cost
4. Management team is dominant PMCO, and they know best, so that's the system they chose
5. They own the system (vs. leasing Apollo), so IN THEORY they can put all this development $ into making it more robust. We'll see if that ever comes to fruition.
6. Cost
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
SlowShares

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Fact. It is all about the money.I know how much and it's alot. Enough to make customers frustrated right now,but shareholders happy.Saying things are messed up right now is an understatement. There will be upgrades to SHARES in the near future so help is on the way.
Thanks Tom for your level-headed approach to things. I've learned that by lowering my expectations during times like these that I am far less stressed. If the upgrades keep coming on Shares with Fastshares, maybe we won't call it SlowShares.

Saving a lot of money but reducing customer service level is a trade off we can all dither about but a few months should tell all.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by ChiFlyGuy
I heard that the old United system was GUI (Windows) based and now the new United (Old Continental) system is all text based? If that is true, that is ridiculous. It takes all gate and phone agents so much longer to do anything now.

Was this nepotism at his worst, so SMI/J could appease his old colleagues in Houston?
There is a lot more on the backend. It was either go to Shares or go to Apollo. There is about as much record data in both legacy systems that either way you crack it if it was handled poorly for moving to Shares it could have been handled as bad going to Apollo (for legacy CO records).

Also Shares has a Gui, called FastShares it's just deploying late, so the command line is NOT the end of the world. Thought here was deploy a KNOWN platform already in use vs the risks of deploying a new platform and a new GUI in one go - THAT would have made things much more worse than it was.

Shares does have a lot more EDI/Electronic Data Interchange points that aren't in Apollo as United had it developed. Meaning some things are more readily available in Shares front end to end customers; things like Upgrade and Standby lists, aircraft origination, backend auto processes like auto checkin for returns, Star Alliance awards and upgrades via web front end. On Apollo and the legacy United.com all these latter items would have been significant development time. NOT defending the issues that have happened; but the benefits of the legacy Continental system outweighed the missing items from United's legacy platform. NOW the transition has had integration issues; once these are ironed out this would be a longer term better platform.

Key here was do you want to own the platform that runs your airline - even if it means pain associated with doing that or do you want to pay consultants, 3rd parties, license fees, etc to another vendor and have no control over the longevity of the platform.

BTW: The command line is still in use by ALOT of airlines who aren't on Gui Frontends, even Southwest up until a few years ago was still on a command line for their entire system (and their system is owned by them like Shares)
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by ChiFlyGuy

I don't see how this is ridiculous. Most marge corporation, especially on the transactional side, have legacy mainframe systems that are all text based. Once learned, they tend to be much faster than any GUI based system.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
1. Cost
2. Cost
3. Cost
4. Management team is dominant PMCO, and they know best, so that's the system they chose
5. They own the system (vs. leasing Apollo), so IN THEORY they can put all this development $ into making it more robust. We'll see if that ever comes to fruition.
6. Cost
CO did not own SHARES.

The management team you reference doesn't know how to use SHARES and does not have the emotional connection with SHARES that you seem to imply.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 20, 2012 at 10:15 am Reason: Personal attack removed per tos
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
BTW: The command line is still in use by ALOT of airlines who aren't on Gui Frontends, even Southwest up until a few years ago was still on a command line for their entire system (and their system is owned by them like Shares)

I'm not sure that is an argument for or against your statements. Don't forget that system prevented Southwest from being able to expand internationally and I think also challenged them with being able to do codeshares.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
There is a lot more on the backend. It was either go to Shares or go to Apollo. There is about as much record data in both legacy systems that either way you crack it if it was handled poorly for moving to Shares it could have been handled as bad going to Apollo (for legacy CO records).

Also Shares has a Gui, called FastShares it's just deploying late, so the command line is NOT the end of the world. Thought here was deploy a KNOWN platform already in use vs the risks of deploying a new platform and a new GUI in one go - THAT would have made things much more worse than it was.

Shares does have a lot more EDI/Electronic Data Interchange points that aren't in Apollo as United had it developed. Meaning some things are more readily available in Shares front end to end customers; things like Upgrade and Standby lists, aircraft origination, backend auto processes like auto checkin for returns, Star Alliance awards and upgrades via web front end. On Apollo and the legacy United.com all these latter items would have been significant development time. NOT defending the issues that have happened; but the benefits of the legacy Continental system outweighed the missing items from United's legacy platform. NOW the transition has had integration issues; once these are ironed out this would be a longer term better platform.

Key here was do you want to own the platform that runs your airline - even if it means pain associated with doing that or do you want to pay consultants, 3rd parties, license fees, etc to another vendor and have no control over the longevity of the platform.

The real bottom line is that the CEO is a CO guy who is comfortable with CO systems and policies. He fired the UA CIO nearly a year ago who disagreed AND replaced him with a CO exec. This FUBAR is all on the CO suits. No neutral party would have dumped this SHARES cluster on the "largest airline in the world".
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by neo_781
I'm not sure that is an argument for or against your statements. Don't forget that system prevented Southwest from being able to expand internationally and I think also challenged them with being able to do codeshares.
That's a function of what capability was originally designed into the system, not the fact that its a mainframe system with command line interface.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sxf24
CO did not own SHARES.

The management team you reference doesn't know how to use SHARES and does not have the emotional connection with SHARES that you seem to imply.

It is sad that you feel the need to make up more outrageous and blatant lies in an effort to drive a point home.
Shares is operated by HP, which bought out EDS, which developed it. But there is definitely a "CO version." I'm not sure you can say they "own" it since they continue to pay a hefty sum for HP to operate and maintain it.

As far as the connection to Shares, my impression is that UA NYC was not making reference to an emotional connection, but rather just stating that they are more familiar with it as an operational tool, than with the Apollo system UA used.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Shares is operated by HP, which bought out EDS, which developed it. But there is definitely a "CO version." I'm not sure you can say they "own" it since they continue to pay a hefty sum for HP to operate and maintain it.

As far as the connection to Shares, my impression is that UA NYC was not making reference to an emotional connection, but rather just stating that they are more familiar with it as an operational tool, than with the Apollo system UA used.
Correct - they "own" their version of SHARES more so than how UA leased Apollo. That's the whole justification for why the kept it, cost, right? Even our own ua1flyer said he's seen the numbers and there's a huge disparity.

Originally Posted by sxf24

It is sad that you feel the need to make up more outrageous and blatant lies in an effort to drive a point home.
Sure - there's no connection whatsoever with the PMCO-dominant leadership team and their ties from anything like SHARES to the coffee produced down the street in Houston.

You sure are the "expert"
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by Darby
The real bottom line is that the CEO is a CO guy who is comfortable with CO systems and policies. He fired the UA CIO nearly a year ago who disagreed AND replaced him with a CO exec. This FUBAR is all on the CO suits. No neutral party would have dumped this SHARES cluster on the "largest airline in the world".
This is unique to CO? If I was in ANY exec position and the CEO comes from the other side in a merger I would be figuring out a way to make that guy see my perspective while I tag along as a team player - otherwise I'm toast. The CO/UA deal is nothing more than M&A's in other lines/companies/industries. If you can't show your new boss any value why is he keeping you.

I think we've beaten a dead horse; talking about it now isn't resolving a thing other than making other FT'ers boil their blood even more. Let's focus on bringing issues to UA to be addressed not pointing fingers over and over again for areas we have NO control over.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by neo_781
Prove your point? So Southwest chose to NOT expand internationally SOLEY based on their CRS?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
The executive team of an airline is so far removed from the reservation system that they have no interest in it other than its capability and cost.

Correct - they "own" their version of SHARES more so than how UA leased Apollo. That's the whole justification for why the kept it, cost, right? Even our own ua1flyer said he's seen the numbers and there's a huge disparity.
Are you saying that cost shouldn't be a consideration when you're evaluating two systems with similar capabilities?

Sure - there's no connection whatsoever with the PMCO-dominant leadership team and their ties from anything like SHARES to the coffee produced down the street in Houston.

You sure are the "expert"
SHARES was not selected because the PMCO members of the leadership team.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 20, 2012 at 10:23 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: UA1K
from my source in UA, originally they were going to switch CO over to UA's system, but apparently, CO's onepass numbers and system weren't able to integrate. so instead, they decided to switch over to shares.

i prefer the pmUA system over this mess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.