Why did United move to CO SHARES?

Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kwildnj
Its nice to see so many people on here that know for a fact that had the combined operation retained Apollo/Fast Air, and dumped SHARES that would be seeing absolutely no issues similar to the ones we are seeing today.

Boarding Pass Zones -- After 3/3, a new system was implimented, so theres no way to know for sure that we would not be seeing issues related to boarding groups.

Agents who do not know how to handle issues at airport -- We are seeing these issues at former UA hubs. Had Apollo been kept, we would be seeing the same issues, but in former CO hubs.

100s of threads on SHARES issues -- We would be seeing 100 threads on Apollo issues.

Honestly people, get over it already.
- UA already had zoned boarding - it's not that difficult...except for SHARES
- There was a single upgrade bucket that had dynamic waitlisting, so none of this sweep nonsense, nor the TODs that have become pervasive
- *A flights didn't have issues posting, and if they didn't post, you could request online easily
- I'm guessing CO agents could pick up a point and click GUI easier than UA agents can memorize command line syntax, but what do I know

There are clear differences, and it's not too difficult to infer things wouldn't have been nearly as bad. Hiccups, sure, but not this. I do love all the attempts to downplay the issues though, it's amusing.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sxf24
Ignoring aesthetics for the moment, what functionality do you think is missing?
First and foremost, I want to see outbound and inbound flights together on the same page. Do that, and I could live with the ugly design.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
First and foremost, I want to see outbound and inbound flights together on the same page. Do that, and I could live with the ugly design.
I agree this is a nice feature. Hopefully UA will include it in their new website that should come out some point this year.

Until then, I guess we'll have to suffer the unmitigated disaster that is navigating to another page to see the inbound flights.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:23 pm

I agree this is a nice feature. Hopefully UA will include it in their new website that should come out some point this year.

Until then, I guess we'll have to suffer the unmitigated disaster that is navigating to another page to see the inbound flights.
Of course, I never said the web site was an unmitigated disaster, did I?

In fact, here's what I said in my opening post on this thread.

I just wish they would have come up with a web site that combined the best of the pmCO and pmUA websites.
How did you get "unmitigated disaster" out of that?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I think another thing that people are forgetting was that SHARES supported more of the policies that the new UA wanted to base its program on going forward.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Really. With the old UA site you had to guess and check your flights to get the lowest fare.

With the new UA site, you select the outbound you want it site tells you the price point and then you get to select the return either at that price or higher. The UA site was a tease it would show you great routings, but not the price.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
Of course, I never said the web site was an unmitigated disaster, did I?

In fact, here's what I said in my opening post on this thread.

How did you get "unmitigated disaster" out of that?
Sorry, I meant that to be facetious. I hope your sense of humor wasn't lost in the SHARES transition.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colpuck
Really. With the old UA site you had to guess and check your flights to get the lowest fare.

With the new UA site, you select the outbound you want it site tells you the price point and then you get to select the return either at that price or higher. The UA site was a tease it would show you great routings, but not the price.
Or - you could search by price, and it would default to the lowest fare for you. Or, you search by schedule to give you time flexibility. Or, you did the flexible dates option and got a nice matrix of day combinations. It was nice.

My fare on a 3 country UA trip looked good today, until I got to the third set of flights and found the price for UA metal was actually $4K higher, and it was only a single set of Copa Flights that had kept the price so low from the start (not desirable to sit in a 737 trying to go from GRU to NYC). That was sweet.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Titanium Elite, Formerly UA 1K and Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by kb1992
So you pick a system that only smaller faction of your customer base, and smaller faction of your employees are familiar with?

SHARES may be OK to handle the size of PMCO. The chaos in the first 10 days since 3/3 show that SHARES is not capable of dealing complexity of operation of a true global airline.
To your first point, AFAIK six of one and half a dozen of another. Whichever system was chosen would require training of the "other" company.

To your second point, this is probably one of if not the largest technology conversions in the world. I believe it is the largest of any in the aviation industry. I'm in IT, I don't work for the airline and there are plenty of dimwit things I could complain about regarding the former United and Continental systems. The fact that any of this worked on day one is simply amazing. It takes time to shake out problems. There are foreseen problems they might not have been able to address or needed to be addressed post-conversation for a variety of reasons. Then there are bound to be problems that were simply missed or not anticipated.

I consider myself lucky that I'm not traveling right now and my co-workers that were/are traveling weren't seriously affected by problems. All I heard from my co-workers have been minor complaints.

I am sure there have been many IT people that have gotten very little sleep in the days leading up to and after the conversion. I have been in this situation myself and give everyone involved kudos for pulling this off. Well done!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:16 pm

Sorry, I meant that to be facetious. I hope your sense of humor wasn't lost in the SHARES transition.
those kind of posts are best used with a or a , especially given the raw nerves on FT over the last few weeks.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Or - you could search by price, and it would default to the lowest fare for you.
But not identify all the options at the lowest fare. It might be that only the 6am flight is the cheapest when I clicked that option on the old UA site, or it might have been that there were several options. But until I checked them all it was impossible to tell.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
My fare on a 3 country UA trip looked good today, until I got to the third set of flights and found the price for UA metal was actually $4K higher, and it was only a single set of Copa Flights that had kept the price so low from the start (not desirable to sit in a 737 trying to go from GRU to NYC). That was sweet.
Just out of curiosity, was that GRU-NYC part the third segment of the trip? If so, was the information displayed during the search wrong? Or just that to get the best fare you had to choose a different option on the last page which had its price also clearly indicated?

Also, would using the "United Only" checkbox have made the search more appropriate if you weren't interested in partner carriers?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This is the most nonsensical statement I have ever read on FT.

CO flew to more international destinations than UA. CO used own a substantial stake and is still closely entwined with Copa airlines and their subsidiary aero-republica and merged with air Micronesia.

CO had more international enplanements that UA. UA may have been bigger, but CO a regional airline, no.
Try counting RPMs rather than destinations or enplanements.

Shorthaul to every village with 4 people and a chicken in LATAM isn't equivalent in terms of global footprint to longhaul to Bangkok, Dubai, Osaka, Sydney, Bahrain, Singapore, Kuwait, Melbourne, etc. I'd call it... regional.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Originally Posted by 1KPath
but maybe, just maybe, the PMUA CIO who was canned just after the merger for not supporting SHARES knew something we don't!
This is true wisdom. Keith Halbert would share his opinion if he wasn't given a 3 million dollar package with a non disclosure, so he would not discuss the situation. Warning both Simsek and then the BOD cost him his job but he does have the satisfaction of being right and a 3 million package.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Exclamation

This is the most nonsensical statement I have ever read on FT.

CO flew to more international destinations than UA. CO used own a substantial stake and is still closely entwined with Copa airlines and their subsidiary aero-republica and merged with air Micronesia.

CO had more international enplanements that UA. UA may have been bigger, but CO a regional airline, no.
In all fairness, lot of PMCO's traffic was directed to 2nd or 3rd tier cities in Europe, Latin America and Asia.

For example, there are a bunch of Japanese cities served by PMCO from GUM on those fabulous 737s. Not many people even recognize these towns.

Not to mention those narrow body 757s to some 2nd tier European cities that require extra fuel stop west bound during winter at times.

OTOH, UA serves major global cities such as SYD, SIN, KIX, ICN, TPE, MEL, BKK. DMI with wide body 3-class aircraft.

Yes, PMCO looked like a glorified regional carrier compared to PMUA.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
But not identify all the options at the lowest fare. It might be that only the 6am flight is the cheapest when I clicked that option on the old UA site, or it might have been that there were several options. But until I checked them all it was impossible to tell.
Did you never realize that there was a 'search by price' button? It listed all the lowest price option.

Pretty sad that somebody of your experience never noticed that added functionality. Many of us PMUA's would have been happy to help you learn about that, but alas, it's gone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.