Full-Fare Platinum Can't Get on Upgrade List

Old Mar 13, 12, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold
Full-Fare Platinum Can't Get on Upgrade List

I am a United Premier Platinum, and regularly do not even appear on the "Upgrade List." For example, I am on a full-fare ticket from SFO to EWR tomorrow. There are 21 people on the upgrade list, and I am not one of them.

I've tried calling United several times about this, and have been told it's just part of the transition, but this has been going on for months. I've now been on hold for more than a half hour just trying to get through to the Platinum Elite line. Pathetic.

United is the worst airline I have ever flown. If this how they treat their most frequent customers who buy full-fare tickets, I can only imagine what they thing of the rest of the "herd." As a frequent traveler based in SFO, I have few choices other than United. But when I do, I take every chance to fly any other airline.
Old Mar 13, 12, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Are you checked in?

I'm pretty sure it's not a deliberate ploy because you're on a full fare ticket
Old Mar 13, 12, 2:01 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Apologies if this is posted elsewhere but can someone post logistically how upgrade lists work from the time of booking to departure on domestic itineraries under CPU? I'm not asking who will or won't get upgraded or cash upgrades etc. As a PMUA flyer I'm obviously used to the old UA process and I understand conceptually how it works. I do not have a conceptual grasp of how the new system works.
Old Mar 13, 12, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Same Happened to Me

I bought a full Y into EWR and the automatic upgrade never showed. The upgrade list didn't appear online (or in their mobile apps) so I'm not sure if I ever was on any upgrade/waitlist; when I checked-in, there was no remark on the boarding pass about standing by for the upgrade. Fortunately for UA, I misconnected and did not make the flight to EWR. When I was accommodated on the next flight (which was the following morning), I was booked into JN class in the forward cabin.
Old Mar 13, 12, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by be_devine View Post
I am a United Premier Platinum, and regularly do not even appear on the "Upgrade List." For example, I am on a full-fare ticket from SFO to EWR tomorrow. There are 21 people on the upgrade list, and I am not one of them.

I've tried calling United several times about this, and have been told it's just part of the transition, but this has been going on for months. I've now been on hold for more than a half hour just trying to get through to the Platinum Elite line. Pathetic.

United is the worst airline I have ever flown. If this how they treat their most frequent customers who buy full-fare tickets, I can only imagine what they thing of the rest of the "herd." As a frequent traveler based in SFO, I have few choices other than United. But when I do, I take every chance to fly any other airline.
Where do you buy your tickets from? UA? a Travel Agen? A 3rd party website? Maybe there is a disconnect between who you buy from? Only a thought.

Search this Thread