Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking with miles - going standby on same day flight

Old Mar 13, 12, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I am looking book a flight on United using my miles.

I see there is a flight in the afternoon, that reaches the destination around midnight. This flight is available for 12,500 miles.

There is an earlier flight in the morning that reaches the destination before 7pm. But I have to use 25,000 miles for this flight.

My question - can I book the afternoon flight for 12,500 miles and get to the airport early, try to go stand by on a earlier flight? I don't mind paying $50 standby fee. This is for a Wednesday flight, so I am pretty positive the flight will not be fully booked. Please suggest.

If standby is not allowed for reservations made using miles, I would like to fly out of a different airport that gets to the destination by 10pm or so (for 12,500 miles).

Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 12, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by sktnyc View Post
Hi,

I am looking book a flight on United using my miles.

I see there is a flight in the afternoon, that reaches the destination around midnight. This flight is available for 12,500 miles.

There is an earlier flight in the morning that reaches the destination before 7pm. But I have to use 25,000 miles for this flight.

My question - can I book the afternoon flight for 12,500 miles and get to the airport early, try to go stand by on a earlier flight? I don't mind paying $50 standby fee. This is for a Wednesday flight, so I am pretty positive the flight will not be fully booked. Please suggest.

If standby is not allowed for reservations made using miles, I would like to fly out of a different airport that gets to the destination by 10pm or so (for 12,500 miles).

Thanks.
Yes you can. Standby rules are the same for domestic award tickets as they are for paid tix. There is another option as well.. after you book the ticket call and have reservations waitlist you for the flight you want. If award space opens up you'll automatically clear on the new flight.
Old Mar 14, 12, 12:33 pm

Are you saying that if I book a United award flight, then call to be waitilisted for a different United flight on the same day, same city pairs, and the waitlist then clears, i can switch to the waitlisted flight for free even if it is within 21 days of departure?

Search this Thread