can RT award be separated into its OW parts?

Old Mar 13, 12, 11:48 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
can RT award be separated into its OW parts?

Hi all --

I have a family member on a saver Y award, EWR-Asia, but I'm hoping to find a C award seat instead.

My question: can an RT award be split up into its two components, outbound and return?

Reason: I understand the best C chances are if I create a new one way award ticketed in C but seated in Y -- this way we can waitlist for the C award to automatically clear if it comes available. (this cannot be done on a purely Y ticket) Plus, by creating a new ticket, I have the option of canceling it if it doesn't clear, leaving the original ticket at the saver redemption.

However, because there is currently no availability on the return (in any class), we would need the original return award portion to still be usable.

So in summary, in order to successfully waitlist for the outbound C award, we need some way to keep the return leg of the original ticket. Is this possible to separate out?

Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 12, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I've tried this in the past and have been rejected. But I remember seeing other posters say they were successful.
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium
Yes, but...

I have done this several times, but it was as a 1K and under the pmUA systems pre-merger. Have not tried post-merger so not sure what the "correct" answer is now...

Search this Thread