Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award reservation never ticketed by UA, now missing segments.

Old Mar 13, 12, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: PR Premier Elite

This is nice. Saturday I tried to purchase an award ticket on united.com. Got the "Your purchase is confirmed. You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized" message, e-mails came promising ticketing "soon", all that. A really nice itinerary to Asia on CA and TG on holiday dates.

Three days later it still never ticketed. Now 3 of the CA segments have disappeared off the reservation. I presume because they were reserved but United never ticketed it.

I presume this is much more complicated because they were CA flights and there is no more award availability on any of those flights so it's not like United can just rebook it w/o involving the other airline. Plus I can't even call United until I have hours of free time to spend on hold.

This is really sux.
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Sorry to hear your situation, but if it 'helps', I had a reservation that was NOT ticketed (but confirmed, and always showed up on 'My Reservations' page on CO.com) for over 1 FULL MONTH.

After 3 calls lasting over an hour each, they finally got it ticketed, this was only a few weeks before departure. And naturally, this was on CO, using an award for partners: LH, VS and TK.

Good luck, and keep calling back (although the wait times suck), but stick to your guns and don't let them tell you 'no'. It was their fault, you should NOT have to deal with this crap, and you are entitled to those flights, regardless of how they get them back - it was their systems that led to the error.

-jeremy
Old Mar 13, 12, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to figure out what the likely outcome of this is going to be. What is United's legal responsibility making a reservation for me and then me loosing it because to their failure of them to ticket it. Does "Your purchase is confirmed." mean anything.

I can see this playing out poorly for me. I suspect even if I do get through on the phone it's just going to be a case of "it's not ticketed" now CA no longer has availability, nothing the reservation agent can do.

Old Mar 13, 12, 6:53 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila View Post
I'm trying to figure out what the likely outcome of this is going to be. What is United's legal responsibility making a reservation for me and then me loosing it because to their failure of them to ticket it. Does "Your purchase is confirmed." mean anything.

I can see this playing out poorly for me. I suspect even if I do get through on the phone it's just going to be a case of "it's not ticketed" now CA no longer has availability, nothing the reservation agent can do.

There have been threads here on this exact situation. My suggestion is to check your itineraries and it would show if the reservation was ticketed or not. That e-mail they send out confirming the booking is not a confirmation that the flights are ticketed. Its just to tell you they have it and will ticket it. If you don't get a follow up e-mail within 3 hrs go online and check if it was ticketed. If not call them as many have reported it goes into limbo and you are left holding the bag.

BTW - Like yr handle..drunk and crazy
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila View Post

At best, a full refund. "Your purchase is confirmed" means nothing.

Partners care how fast you ticket after reserving. UA doesn't care to accommodate that.
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

are both CA & TG Carriers that CO can confirm on their own? I know in the past there were Carriers where CO could resrve the flights but it wasnt Confirmed until the other Carrier came back and said they were "Confirmed'

the difference is if CO cant do it on their own what happens is they make the res (thats all its is its not Confirmed) and send a message over to XX to see if XX will confirm it, till XX confirms it you wont get a Confirmation nor a tkt#.

if CO cant confirm it with CA by itself at the time the res is made then Id say they owe Nothing to the OP. That said it would be nice if they would put such notice up on the site which Carriers are really only a Request till that carrier gets back to CO telling them Yes or No
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:45 pm

Happened to me too. Purchased nice multi city award itinerary on CO on 2/28 and received confirmation email. On 3/3 just out of curiosity checked on the new merged website and noted only 1 leg (2nd leg) of the 3 leg trip was showing. When I called in the CSR said this one leg was all that was ticketed- he said it was showing confirmed. I noted that no miles had been deducted from my account and my cc had not been charged (even though the email confirmation on 2/28 showed this). I was able to pick up the missing segments at the same cost in miles (although now slightly more in taxes because of the dropped segment). Now when I go to see my itineraries online legs 1 and 3 show ticketed and confirmed-with receipt visible and corresponding miles deducted but leg 2 is now gone. Again I called in and the agent told me it says "default" on my ticket and also remarked that she had never seen that term before. She then told me that since my flight is still several weeks out she had been told to instruct callers to call back in a couple of weeks as they were only helping people out who were flying in the next 72 hours. This particular leg is on a partner airline. How should I proceed on this one?
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Some progress.... on my own anyway.

After no partner showing any availability all day today to replace the disappeared flights on my route, a couple of hours ago the original CA flights popped up as available again. I assume CA took back my reserved flights since they were never ticketed, and then they re-released them..... or something. In any case I was able to recreate the itinerary from scratch so I booked a new ticket, canceled the old screwed up reservation and am now AGAIN waiting for it to ticket. Only been 2 hours so far.

One thing interesting. I just noticed the "Why wont my reservation ticket?? thread (wish I had seen that earlier). In this post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post18149872 the poster mentions a scenario where a "schedule change" immediately after booking causes credit card data to be deleted from the reservation. Don't know if there is merit to that in my case but both times I booked this ticket, immediately after booking, first time I went back to view the reservation, it gave me the ol' schedule change warning and said one of the TG flights had changed like 15 minutes, click here to accept. First time I did click to accept the insignificant schedule change. This time I did not as per the post in the other thread. To soon to tell if it makes any difference.

Search this Thread