Missing the M-up for Plats

Old Mar 13, 12, 1:53 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Missing the M-up for Plats

Didn't see much discussion around this, so maybe I'm the only one?

I just made CO Plat for the first time this year, so enjoyed M-ups for a few months before the integration. I have to buy these fares often for work travel so it was a nice benefit.

Didn't realize that it wasn't just 75% bonus but also elimination of M-ups for Prem Plats... and boy do I miss it. Just sayin.

Would ordinarily entice me to try for 1K, but doesn't sound like 1K is that much better anymore...
Old Mar 13, 12, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Yep. It was part of the announcement months ago and discussed in detail here on the forums. M-ups for 1K only now.

-RM
Old Mar 13, 12, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I've searched for plenty of flights lately where the M fares don't even give you the M-up at booking...YMMV.
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by transparent View Post

Would ordinarily entice me to try for 1K, but doesn't sound like 1K is that much better anymore...
It isn't.
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I've searched for plenty of flights lately where the M fares don't even give you the M-up at booking...YMMV.
This was true pre-integration as well on some routes, especially hub-hub and relatively close to the date of the flight. I had issues between DEN and EWR in particular.
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
This was true pre-integration as well on some routes, especially hub-hub and relatively close to the date of the flight. I had issues between DEN and EWR in particular.
Good point. Though, I was able to book an M-fare that upgraded immediately between ORD-IAH at a very busy time (the 5pm on a Thursday).
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
The M-fare upgrades are for domestic CPU's, correct, and won't have any bearing except waitlist priority for overseas? I'm currently Plat and thinking about how hard to work towards 1k this year (never made it before). My company won't allow purchase of Y or B anymore, but I'm wondering if I can get away with M.
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HSmartt View Post
The M-fare upgrades are for domestic CPU's, correct, and won't have any bearing except waitlist priority for overseas? I'm currently Plat and thinking about how hard to work towards 1k this year (never made it before). My company won't allow purchase of Y or B anymore, but I'm wondering if I can get away with M.
They'll work for any route where CPU is in use. So if you're trying to upgrade a TATL/TPAC on an M, it just has a lower co-pay.
Old Mar 13, 12, 11:44 am

the M up benefit was the main reason i've tried to keep my plat status for the last several yrs. with zero for forever on upgrades out of ewr i dont see any point in going out of my way to book on UA in the future
Old Mar 13, 12, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
It isn't.
Glorified Platinum with a bigger bonus - GPUs are generally worthless
Old Mar 13, 12, 5:45 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Yep. It was part of the announcement months ago and discussed in detail here on the forums. M-ups for 1K only now.

-RM
Oh, didn't realize it was discussed much-- I mostly saw the discussion around Silver being pretty worthless and 75% from 100% RDM bonus. I guess it's now in line with Delta, but Plat could have been *better* than Delta. Oh well...

Search this Thread