FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Missing the M-up for Plats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1324251-missing-m-up-plats.html)

transparent Mar 13, 2012 12:53 am

Missing the M-up for Plats

Didn't see much discussion around this, so maybe I'm the only one?

I just made CO Plat for the first time this year, so enjoyed M-ups for a few months before the integration. I have to buy these fares often for work travel so it was a nice benefit.

Didn't realize that it wasn't just 75% bonus but also elimination of M-ups for Prem Plats... and boy do I miss it. Just sayin.

Would ordinarily entice me to try for 1K, but doesn't sound like 1K is that much better anymore...

RobOnLI Mar 13, 2012 1:06 am

Yep. It was part of the announcement months ago and discussed in detail here on the forums. M-ups for 1K only now.

-RM

UA-NYC Mar 13, 2012 5:44 am

I've searched for plenty of flights lately where the M fares don't even give you the M-up at booking...YMMV.

halls120 Mar 13, 2012 6:03 am

Originally Posted by transparent (Post 18189486)

Would ordinarily entice me to try for 1K, but doesn't sound like 1K is that much better anymore...

It isn't.

Bonehead Mar 13, 2012 7:02 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 18190125)
I've searched for plenty of flights lately where the M fares don't even give you the M-up at booking...YMMV.

This was true pre-integration as well on some routes, especially hub-hub and relatively close to the date of the flight. I had issues between DEN and EWR in particular.

Hartmann Mar 13, 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 18190453)
This was true pre-integration as well on some routes, especially hub-hub and relatively close to the date of the flight. I had issues between DEN and EWR in particular.

Good point. Though, I was able to book an M-fare that upgraded immediately between ORD-IAH at a very busy time (the 5pm on a Thursday).

HSmartt Mar 13, 2012 8:19 am

The M-fare upgrades are for domestic CPU's, correct, and won't have any bearing except waitlist priority for overseas? I'm currently Plat and thinking about how hard to work towards 1k this year (never made it before). My company won't allow purchase of Y or B anymore, but I'm wondering if I can get away with M.

Hartmann Mar 13, 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by HSmartt (Post 18190951)
The M-fare upgrades are for domestic CPU's, correct, and won't have any bearing except waitlist priority for overseas? I'm currently Plat and thinking about how hard to work towards 1k this year (never made it before). My company won't allow purchase of Y or B anymore, but I'm wondering if I can get away with M.

They'll work for any route where CPU is in use. So if you're trying to upgrade a TATL/TPAC on an M, it just has a lower co-pay.

toby182 Mar 13, 2012 10:44 am

the M up benefit was the main reason i've tried to keep my plat status for the last several yrs. with zero for forever on upgrades out of ewr i dont see any point in going out of my way to book on UA in the future

zabes64 Mar 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 18190190)
It isn't.

^ Glorified Platinum with a bigger bonus - GPUs are generally worthless

transparent Mar 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 18189507)
Yep. It was part of the announcement months ago and discussed in detail here on the forums. M-ups for 1K only now.

-RM

Oh, didn't realize it was discussed much-- I mostly saw the discussion around Silver being pretty worthless and 75% from 100% RDM bonus. I guess it's now in line with Delta, but Plat could have been *better* than Delta. Oh well...