New Mileageplus Rules for over ocean segments

Old Mar 12, 12, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

New Mileageplus Rules for over ocean segments

Onepass allowed flights to Asia from the US either Transpacific or Transatlantic. Return journey via either ocean allowed. Told by MileagePlusers this is round the world award (even if only stopping in one destination in Asia). Anyone know where the rules are online? Experience tells me that revenue RTW tickets usually require 3 stops.
Old Mar 12, 12, 9:04 pm

Book two separate segments/awards-outbound one ocean; return the other. No problem and often a better choice of flights than a round-trip award.
Old Mar 12, 12, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 0.9MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First
It's true. I just booked a mielage ticket for 65,000 miles from Chicago to Saigon rountrip in December. My routing is ORD-SFO-NRT-SGN (on ANA) and then SGN-SIN-FRA-JFK (On Singapore). Its all one award ticket - but the full round the world was allowed--I was a bit shocked as this was never allowed on United.

On a side note - I never used to have difficulty making award bookings - NEVER, but becuase there are too many FFs and not enough award seats on the new United my trip ends in NY and I had to purchase the JFK-ORD on Jet Blue
Old Mar 12, 12, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is one where booking online is your friend. The policy from CO was that you have to return via the same ocean but the website didn't seem to care about that rule and would book it either way. If at all possible stick with the website.
Old Mar 12, 12, 9:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
What about something like EWR/IAD-PEK? That flight doesn't go anywhere near the pacific or atlantic ocean in flight (maybe a bit over the atlantic on takeoff out of EWR...). Then do we have to return via the arctic ocean?
Old Mar 12, 12, 9:53 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
What about something like EWR/IAD-PEK? That flight doesn't go anywhere near the pacific or atlantic ocean in flight (maybe a bit over the atlantic on takeoff out of EWR...). Then do we have to return via the arctic ocean?
Most old CO returns from China go over Japan, Kamchatka, Alaska (or Canada) to US destination.
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bniu View Post
Completely agree, but when I made a change to a flight, GS said this is a round the world ticket and wanted the RTW award instead. Left everything unchanged. Can't change online because if Star segments.
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1KAndrew View Post
It's true. I just booked a mielage ticket for 65,000 miles from Chicago to Saigon rountrip in December. My routing is ORD-SFO-NRT-SGN (on ANA) and then SGN-SIN-FRA-JFK (On Singapore). Its all one award ticket - but the full round the world was allowed--I was a bit shocked as this was never allowed on United.

On a side note - I never used to have difficulty making award bookings - NEVER, but becuase there are too many FFs and not enough award seats on the new United my trip ends in NY and I had to purchase the JFK-ORD on Jet Blue
Thanks. I am doin something similar. Did you do after march 3 integration? Being told not allowed at 65k by multiple agents.
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by 1KAndrew View Post

Am I reading this correctly - you got to go around the world for 65000 miles only? WOW it cost me 90000 to do a RT TATL.
Old Mar 22, 12, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by asiapacflyer View Post
Thanks. I am doin something similar. Did you do after march 3 integration? Being told not allowed at 65k by multiple agents.
I've been searching online for an award NYC-SIN. Looks like they do allow you to book something like JFK-NRT-SIN SIN-FRA-JFK as a roundtrip. Where I'm failing is forcing it to allow a more creative routing like EWR-YUL-ZRH-BKK-SIN through the multicity search even though the individual segments are available. The site just says it can't find anything. Anyone know if this is possible without calling?
Old Mar 22, 12, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blahter View Post
I've been searching online for an award NYC-SIN. Looks like they do allow you to book something like JFK-NRT-SIN SIN-FRA-JFK as a roundtrip. Where I'm failing is forcing it to allow a more creative routing like EWR-YUL-ZRH-BKK-SIN through the multicity search even though the individual segments are available. The site just says it can't find anything. Anyone know if this is possible without calling?

SIN-FRA-JFK is considered a TPAC flight if booked together by the system for some reason, and has been forever, - maybe since its a one number flight.

Same for IAH-DME-SIN.

The only other way to do a RTW is to go TPAC from West Coast, and return TATL to East Coast. Somewhere there is a line. Try it.
Old Mar 22, 12, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
SIN-FRA-JFK is considered a TPAC flight if booked together by the system for some reason, and has been forever, - maybe since its a one number flight.
Not by any of the RTW rules, however, so be careful with that.
Old Dec 9, 12, 1:43 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH Gold, Marriott Plat
star alliance award rules

I am flying sfo-sin-bkk(destination)-muc-bud(stop)-fra-lax-san. Is that a legal itinerary? I had booked it earlier, made several changes with no problem. Called to change again and the agent told me that the itinerary is illegal because it goes over the pacific and returns over the atlantic, arguing that it is a round the world ticket. Is that correct? Do UA policies allow return over the other ocean? The agent already notated the record, and when I called again the next agent just looked at it and said he can't change it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Dec 9, 12, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
While I detest the whole aspect of notating a record the original agent is correct that this is a RTW. If you were able to find a TATL routing for the outbound you'd be back into 'legal' itin territory.
Old Dec 9, 12, 1:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
There are no *A award rules, the rules are program sepcific
Originally Posted by flyersky1 View Post
I am flying sfo-sin-bkk(destination)-muc-bud(stop)-fra-lax-san. Is that a legal itinerary? I had booked it earlier, made several changes with no problem. Called to change again and the agent told me that the itinerary is illegal because it goes over the pacific and returns over the atlantic, arguing that it is a round the world ticket. Is that correct? ...
this has been a point of uncertainty. There are no public rules either way on this but many agents had stated this as a rule but others have allowed it (perphas not realizing it). Online there are some two ocean trips bookable but others will not book.
At this point you are probably stuck.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...sia-award.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-segments.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...g-allowed.html

Search this Thread