Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does the new UA calculate fare difference/penalty for changes?

How does the new UA calculate fare difference/penalty for changes?

Old Mar 12, 12, 8:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: AA EXP; UA1k; B6 Mosiac; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
Posts: 1,679
How does the new UA calculate fare difference/penalty for changes?

Let's say that I have a non-refundable international fare with a penalty of $250 for changes. I re-route my return to another city but the fare is now less than the original fare by $200. So, what is my add-collect? $50? I could ask UA but it is impossible to get through on the phone.
1k650 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 9:22 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,156
I'd be shocked if the answer was anything other than you pay the change fee in new money and then get back a voucher for any credit that might exist. That's how the sCO systems work and there is no indication that they've changed it.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 9:47 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: AA EXP; UA1k; B6 Mosiac; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
Posts: 1,679
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I'd be shocked if the answer was anything other than you pay the change fee in new money and then get back a voucher for any credit that might exist. That's how the sCO systems work and there is no indication that they've changed it.
Thanks - anyone who has tried this?
1k650 is offline  
Old Apr 25, 12, 1:03 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: AA EXP; UA1k; B6 Mosiac; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
Posts: 1,679
To close the loop, this is exactly what they did - issued me a credit.
1k650 is offline  
Old Apr 25, 12, 1:08 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
Posts: 215
Originally Posted by 1k650 View Post
To close the loop, this is exactly what they did - issued me a credit.
Did they actually issue a credit (back to your original credit card - PMUA procedure) or are they going to send vouchers to give you credit for the difference?

Since 3/3 I've been sent vouchers the two times this occured - even the one that was for $2.50....
johnru36 is offline  
Old May 10, 12, 12:13 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: AA EXP; UA1k; B6 Mosiac; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
Posts: 1,679
Originally Posted by johnru36 View Post
Did they actually issue a credit (back to your original credit card - PMUA procedure) or are they going to send vouchers to give you credit for the difference?

Since 3/3 I've been sent vouchers the two times this occured - even the one that was for $2.50....
They PROMISED to send me vouchers - have not seen one yet. But I got the PIN number and so should be able to use it (have not tried yet).
1k650 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread