Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change routing on award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Change routing on award ticket?

I've searched a ton of threads but can't find an answer to my question. With all of the recent changes/consolidation, is it possible to change connecting flight routing on award tickets? Ex. DSM-DEN-LAX to DSM-ORD-LAX? AA has always allowed this but UA hasn't. Hoping this routing change is now allowed.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyupfront
I've searched a ton of threads but can't find an answer to my question. With all of the recent changes/consolidation, is it possible to change connecting flight routing on award tickets? Ex. DSM-DEN-LAX to DSM-ORD-LAX? AA has always allowed this but UA hasn't. Hoping this routing change is now allowed.
How much you can modify award tickets depends on your FF Status level and days before you start travel.

see here for details: http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
In a nutshell, 21+ days out, there's no fee for anyone to delete or change a connecting city on an award ticket. Less than 21 days out and it's GM $75/2P $50/1P $25/Plat-1K-GS $0

I've never understood why award change and redeposit fees are substantially more reasonable than those for paid tickets, but that's how it works.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
But you would probably have to call to make the change and unfortunately United doesn't seem to have a working telephone just yet.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
But you would probably have to call to make the change and unfortunately United doesn't seem to have a working telephone just yet.
The telephone was invented by neither PMCO or PMUA. Enough said?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:22 am

Also if you change airlines that now incurs a fee.

http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:00 pm

So did I read the rules to say that even for award travel booked on Continental prior to March 3, one is charged a fee to change the carrier even if the date and city pairs are the same and travel more than 21 days in advance? I totally missed that change, as Continental used to allow the carrier change for free and I booked the award trip thinking I could later change if different options opened up. I am hoping to get on a United nonstop where now I am on a connection where the first flight is United but the second is a star alliance carier. Thank you.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by sharonsimon
So did I read the rules to say that even for award travel booked on Continental prior to March 3, one is charged a fee to change the carrier even if the date and city pairs are the same and travel more than 21 days in advance? I totally missed that change, as Continental used to allow the carrier change for free and I booked the award trip thinking I could later change if different options opened up. I am hoping to get on a United nonstop where now I am on a connection where the first flight is United but the second is a star alliance carier. Thank you.
That is how I read it. Wonder how it is in practice. I don't believe it mentioned before or after March 3, it just mentioned any change of carrier would incur a fee. I am the same way. Was possibly looking for more direct flights, but guess that will save me the time of spending countless hours on the search. I will just keep what I have.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by BigBossman
How much you can modify award tickets depends on your FF Status level and days before you start travel.

see here for details: http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx
Link goes to the home page.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
I asked the exact same question when booking award flight on CO prior to the merger. I was told that any bookings made on CO prior to the merger will be governed by the old CO rules that were in effect on the time of booking. I would not be surprised if new UA will conveniently ignore this and follow UA rules regardless of where and when the initial booking was made.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
just did this yesterday. It took 49 minutes to do and HAD to be done over the phone with web support.

They do not simply refund your fees back to your CC now, they give you voucher so be wary of that. also, any remainders between voucher and new flights comes back to you as an e-cert.

Of which I will now be getting 2-$4.5 e-certs!

FYI, Im a 1K and my routings were UA/LH/AC flights that were redone to be all UA metal.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by camelontherun
They do not simply refund your fees back to your CC now, they give you voucher so be wary of that. also, any remainders between voucher and new flights comes back to you as an e-cert.

Of which I will now be getting 2-$4.5 e-certs!

What! No refund to my CC if I change an award ticket? Thats ridiculous! I'm looking at changing an award SFO-IST made well before the merger, and I am going to cut up rough if they try to give me a voucher!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mmack
What! No refund to my CC if I change an award ticket? Thats ridiculous! I'm looking at changing an award SFO-IST made well before the merger, and I am going to cut up rough if they try to give me a voucher!
Prepare to cut up rough then. My reservation was pre-merger as well but this is the current policy.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I was hoping that UA would change to the favorable CO policies. Silly me.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
CO had the best (most flexible) award changing rules for non-elites in the whole industry. I am really going to miss those days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.