Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United Keep Passenger Records Going Back 21 Years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:31 am
Original Poster

A friend of mine is an immigration lawyer, who needs to prove that his client entered the US on a certain date in 1991. The client's passport shows an exit stamp from the home country on that date, but no corresponding entry stamp into the US (or any other country.) The client is reasonably certain he flew to the US on UA on that date.

So, this raises some questions:
  • Does UA keep records going back 21 years?;
  • If it does keep records that far back, would the records be findable (If UA chose to do so) by passenger name, flight, or something else?
  • Would UA provide the records without a subpoena, and, if so, how would one obtain the records?

As always, thanks for the help.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Wouldn't the government have that record as well, even though INS didn't stamp them at the time?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:40 am
Original Poster

It might, it might not - record-keeping was spottier in those days. Also, the government is very slow in responding to Freedom of Information requests.

Clearly the government is an avenue to be pursued; the purpose of posting here was to see if UA would be another avenue.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Wouldn't the government have that record as well, even though INS didn't stamp them at the time?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Given that United just went back through everyone's flights pre-merger (since the beginning of the MileagePlus program) to calculate out EQMs based on class of service, *A partners, etc. I would assume they have some record keeping capabilities. Understandably they don't expose these databases to the public.

Although, I have read on here before of folks calling in and having their entire history with United printed out and sent to them (this was pre-merger). Not sure if this service is still around.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Any sense if the record would be there for non-MP folks?

Originally Posted by navi-c
Given that United just went back through everyone's flights pre-merger (since the beginning of the MileagePlus program) to calculate out EQMs based on class of service, *A partners, etc. I would assume they have some record keeping capabilities. Understandably they don't expose these databases to the public.

Although, I have read on here before of folks calling in and having their entire history with United printed out and sent to them (this was pre-merger). Not sure if this service is still around.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold

I doubt this person was a Mileage Plus member, so he/she probably won't be in that database. Flight manifest databases are a separate thing altogether. My guess is that it probably isn't kept, but who knows.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:59 pm

I have read on here before of folks calling in and having their entire history with United printed out and sent to them (this was pre-merger). Not sure if this service is still around.
For more on this, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hould-get.html.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
All those data is for activities in Mileage Plus, not for all UA flights.@:-) This is relevant if that person credited that 1991 flight to his/her Mileage Plus account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.