Upgrade Question

Old Mar 12, 12, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Upgrade Question

I have a reservation for a flight from ORD-LGA next weekend. I am UA Gold so could be eligible for a CPU on the flight. However, when I look at the record online the fare class does not show any RN availability. My understanding is that the RN bucket is the one that would be available for CPUs.

I would be willing to upgrade with miles (this is a A319 so there are only 8 F seats on the plane, and I doubt if I would clear anyway as a result of my status on that flight), but when I click on the "Upgrade to United First" button, I get the following message:

One of your flights is not currently available for an upgrade. Your request will be placed on a courtesy waitlist. Although we cannot guarantee that the waitlist will clear, this is your best chance of confirming an upgrade should one eventually become available.

I have two questions:
1. If there is no RN availability showing, does that mean that a CPU is not going to happen in any event, even at the 48 hour window?
2. Does anyone know if the 20,000 miles upgrade will clear before other types of upgrades? I can't tell from all the lists about upgrade priority how this kind of mileage upgrade fits into the list.
Old Mar 12, 12, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the RN never opens then no CPUs nor instrument-supported upgrades will clear.

Instruments do take priority over CPU.

Search this Thread