going forward, paid upgrades--split pnr?

Old Mar 12, 12, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
going forward, paid upgrades--split pnr?

mr kk and i are flying ORD-AMS in a few weeks, and are willing to do co-pay plus miles for the upgrade. there's currently one seat available on the outbound, nothing on the IST-MUC-AVL return.

i'm a premier plat (sigh) and he's gold off my MM status. am i better giving him the one seat available now and splitting the record, or would our chances for two seats be better waiting until check-in when he'd get the benefit of my status? the bigger issue is the return, as at that point he'd be going just on his status, right? plus cash, of course, which should help.

we ARE willing to sit separately--and in a nod to ft protocol, the frequent flier--ME--sits in coach, and mr kk will sit up front.

in the old days (with SWU's) i'd have split the record, but with a paid upgrade and no 1k status i'm just not sure.
Old Mar 12, 12, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
First, his status will be the same as yours under the new MM rules, as soon as they get around to updating it. Or, if you don't mind a long wait, you can call Mileage Plus now and they will bump his status immediately.

Having just gone through that process, my attitude is that my wife and I will always split our reservations. No reason not to take the single seat when it comes up, and we will have the same status for the upgrades either split or unsplit.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by demosthenes1 View Post
First, his status will be the same as yours under the new MM rules, as soon as they get around to updating it. Or, if you don't mind a long wait, you can call Mileage Plus now and they will bump his status immediately.

Having just gone through that process, my attitude is that my wife and I will always split our reservations. No reason not to take the single seat when it comes up, and we will have the same status for the upgrades either split or unsplit.
When you split the reservation, say a couple weeks after it was initially made, does the new reservation, get the old time stamp of when the waitlist was originally created?

Search this Thread