Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade After Seated in Biz Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeef
1. Welcome to FT!

2. Thank you for following up rather than being just a "one and done" complaint. We get a lot of the latter.

3. I am not a patient person and, after being stuck on hold for three hours and later losing the seat, I would have found it very difficult to be as calm as you seemed to have been.

4. It was a classy move to give up your seat for the baby and family. Was the child originally supposed to be a lap child and then they realized that they could seat the kid in the empty seat? I'll tell you this: We traveled with our kids as lap children, so I do know what that couple was going through, but you had every right to ask for that seat back.

Mike
I think probably lap, since they were giving my seat back and they were not angry, but couldn't do that to them.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
1. Welcome to FT!

2. Thank you for following up rather than being just a "one and done" complaint. We get a lot of the latter.

3. I am not a patient person and, after being stuck on hold for three hours and later losing the seat, I would have found it very difficult to be as calm as you seemed to have been.

4. It was a classy move to give up your seat for the baby and family. Was the child originally supposed to be a lap child and then they realized that they could seat the kid in the empty seat? I'll tell you this: We traveled with our kids as lap children, so I do know what that couple was going through, but you had every right to ask for that seat back.

Mike
+1. Thumbs up to you, OP. To answer your question, you should just write to customer relations regarding your inconvenience and the loss of the business seat, then you should be all set. UA should respond with goodwill gesture of miles/SWU, or TCV.

PS:I need to be as calm as you OP. You are a great example to FT UA community.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmhawk58
I think probably lap, since they were giving my seat back and they were not angry, but couldn't do that to them.
Actually, sounds to me like you didn't want to sit next to a (screaming) baby.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
If this was due to an oversell, then the GA needs to treat it like any other VDB situation. At the point you were told to go to back, then it becomes an IDB.

either way, I would expect a fairly substantial TCV.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Actually, sounds to me like you didn't want to sit next to a (screaming) baby.

who says the baby was screaming?

I sat next to a baby on my SNN-EWR flight a couple of weeks ago, and she was the sweetest little thing on the planet. She barely made a murmur the whole flight (slept most of the time) and when she was awake, she was a pure delight.

Not all babies are the devil incarnate, as most posters seem to think!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:01 am
Original Poster

5K in miles

Customer Care Manager offered me 5K in bonus miles. That doesn't seem like much.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 20, 2012 at 7:03 am Reason: per policy
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
I asked for an upgrade the week before, was on waitlist, took three hours to get someone on the phone to deduct my miles, 24 hours before the waitlist was dissolved, put my name back on waitlist when I checked in in OKC, was always number 2 on waitlist, got upgraded at gate, got new boarding pass, sat down in my seat in business class, 30 minutes later or so, the flight attendant came and told me to move. She was very nice, the gate agent was not so nice. Told me to write to CEO Smisek, will call him perhaps today, but am out of the country. KNow I will not get him, will talk to Exec. Secretary who will point me in right direction. Anyone know what the policy was for this under Continental?
It sounded like even the UA employee's are not happy about how CEO $misek has carried out the merger. It is odd to suggest an unsatisfactory customer to call the CEO as the first line of defense. I hope he is reading all about this!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:56 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Customer Care Manager offered me 5K in bonus miles. That doesn't seem like much.
Welcome to FT. ^ That was a kind gesture of consideration to the family you chose not to have moved. ^

IMHO 5000 miles is insulting, given the situation.

Mrs. Fredd was recently offered a $50 cert as compensation for 14 hours of non-functioning audio (and therefore IFE) flying in CO BF EWR-DEL in January. She's returned it with a letter explaining why.

That's not much of a downgrade kit for you. You may wish to simply ask for something better. Good luck on getting your miles back too. ^

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 20, 2012 at 7:04 am Reason: quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Compensation

Mr. Smisek referred to someone in Exec offices today after I said 5K is not acceptable. She gave me 1000 voucher and the 5K miles. Am satisfied, thanks for your support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.