UA first 747-400 vs. LH bus A340-600 SFO-PRG

Old Mar 12, 12, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver
UA first 747-400 vs. LH bus A340-600 SFO-PRG

Am doing a reward flight SFO - PRG. Can book either LH bus. class on an A340-600 via MUC or UA first on a 747-400 via Frankfurt. Is the difference between the two enough to either warrant or not warrant the extra miles?? Sorry if I posted this incorrectly, am a long time lurker, but newbie at posting. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Only thing better about the LH itin is connecting in MUC vs. the FRA bus depot. But be warned, last time I flew LAX-MUC-PRG I had to use a bus to get to MUC-PRG aircraft.

UA new C beats LH C for comfort, so UA F hands down. Food and soft product too subjective but would say LH more consistent but not overwhelmingly better. You arent comparing NH/OZ/SQ to UA here.

I'd take UA F handsdown and suck up taking the bus in FRA.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
If you can sleep on angled lie-flat seats, then go on LH.. If you want true lie-flat, go with UA.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:37 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
LH for my money

Who wants to sit in the middle rows of four seats. Enough said. Just flew ANAs staggered C product. AMAZING SPACE and privacy. Now thats an amazing C product. Too bad NO US airline will EVER offer that type of product.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tomj888 View Post
Who wants to sit in the middle rows of four seats. Enough said. Just flew ANAs staggered C product. AMAZING SPACE and privacy. Now thats an amazing C product. Too bad NO US airline will EVER offer that type of product.
The OP is going in F, not C.

As far as the set of 4 seats, there are lots of sections in C that aren't in a block of 4.. The entire upper deck is 2-2, ask well as the outer seats on the lower deck...
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tomj888 View Post
FYI, the OP is considering UA F, not C.

Speaking of which, I'd definitely go with UA F. Well worth the extra miles. Far better hard product in terms of roominess, privacy, IFE, you name it.

A few caveats to this recommendation, though:

1. If by some chance a seat in LH F opens up, jump on it, especially if it's in new F and unless it's old LH F in a 747, where there are now single seats, just 2 x 2. (Actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure there is an old LH F on the 747, since perhaps the conversion has been completed???) Unclear from your post whether you're doing a RT or OW. Especially if the former, another advantage of LH F is being able to use the wonderful LH F lounge.
2. As noted, MUC a nicer airport than FRA, but not worth LH C.
3. Service is more uniform on LH C than UA F. That is, there's an outside chance you'll get poor service on UA F. Still, that chance isn't worth forfeiting the F seat.

Happy trails!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: